#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

So I got a pack of this for free sitting in my fridge. It is slightly swollen and about 6 months past mfg. date. I have never used it before and wanted to get some feedback before I took the time and made a starter. Any good? Any styles or hop/malt combos it excels with? I wanted to brew something this weekend but haven't the slightest clue what yet. Thinking I would use this yeast and go from there. I haven't seen too many posts about it so maybe it sucks, dunno.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

If I remember right, it's derived from a British strain. It certainly has some characteristics of British yeasts, e.g. it's a little bit fruity (not that there's anything wrong with that). So it seems to be good for American versions of British styles -- pale ales, porters, brown, etc. A pale ale balanced on the malty side with some Willamette finishing hops could be a good way to go.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

If I remember right, it's derived from a British strain. It certainly has some characteristics of British yeasts, e.g. it's a little bit fruity (not that there's anything wrong with that). So it seems to be good for American versions of British styles -- pale ales, porters, brown, etc. A pale ale balanced on the malty side with some Willamette finishing hops could be a good way to go.

Have you brewed with it before? Looks like it has some low attenuation. But doing some googling I have read some people have good results with it. I dunno I already have attenuation problems, last thing I need is a sweet beer right now.

Doesn't look like to many people use this yeast. I'm starting to wonder if it's for a reason.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

I used it a couple times but found it had a tartness to it that I didn't care for.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

I brewed a batch or two with it a long time ago and thought flavor-wise it was OK. My impression was that it was more British than American and if I'm going to use a British yeast, I'd rather go with something more attenuative like 1028 or 1098.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users