50 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

So back in November I talked about doing some 30 minute boils with 20 minute whirlpools.  Since then I have brewed about 12 - 5g batches and all but one have been 30 minute boils.  That one was a Dunkel and since then I have done 2 batches of helles with 30 minute boils no whirlpool.  I am not sure I am going back to 60 minute boils be honest.  I have seen no change in beer quality at all and I save some time.  Even beers with a lot of Pils malt do not have any issues.  The only downside, if you can call it that, is that you need to have all your ingredients ready to go.  There is not a lot of time between the bittering (30) addition and flameout so having all the hops weighed out and ready to go is a must IMO.  I still need to experiment more with variety of 30 minute hop I use.  I was using a lot of Apollo at 60 for bittering and I have gone mostly to Centennial now but need to get some batches done with Apollo and a few others to see how they work and if they introduce any flavors not desired.

It is really worth a try IMO.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

I did your rye apa with the 30 minute boil. The fermentation smelled great. I need to get in the dry hops.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

I did your rye apa with the 30 minute boil. The fermentation smelled great. I need to get in the dry hops.

Hope you like it.  I am really happy with how that beer came out and have been sampling it a lot!

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:34 AM

A half hour saved is a half hour saved. So you see absolutely no difference between 60 and 30?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

A half hour saved is a half hour saved. So you see absolutely no difference between 60 and 30?

To my tastes and others that have had them NO. There has been nothing in the beers to tell me I should be doing a longer boil.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

same experience here.  I haven't done anything like a helles though.  just pale ales.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:06 AM

I have done two batches with 30 min boils, both APA. I agree I see no difference. Drez, one beer I used Apollo at the 30 min mark and did not taste anything wrong them. In fact the Apollo beer is really good! Downside like you said more crunched for time. The first 30 min of the boil is where I clean out the MT. So I need to hurry now to get that done and measure out hops as well if I want to stick to my normal process. Plus you use a little more hops at the 30 min addition to keep the same amount of bittering as a 60 min. But otherwise 30 min boils rock, will do another this weekend.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

same experience here.  I haven't done anything like a helles though.  just pale ales.

Do it!!  Trust me!!  I just found 2 packs of 34/70 so once I have these two beers done I will be doing a 30 minute German Pils.

I have done two batches with 30 min boils, both APA. I agree I see no difference. Drez, one beer I used Apollo at the 30 min mark and did not taste anything wrong them. In fact the Apollo beer is really good! Downside like you said more crunched for time. The first 30 min of the boil is where I clean out the MT. So I need to hurry now to get that done and measure out hops as well if I want to stick to my normal process. Plus you use a little more hops at the 30 min addition to keep the same amount of bittering as a 60 min. But otherwise 30 min boils rock, will do another this weekend.

Good info on the Apollo.  I have used it in a DH mix before and liked what it brought to the table so I am sure I will like it at 30.  One thing I recently added to my MLT was a BIAB bag above the manifold.  This lets me clean it out very easily and be ready to go.

I do conceded that you use a bit more hops at 30 to get to the same IBU level, small trade off for me though on the time saved.

Edited by drez77, 23 June 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

Small trade off indeed. It's not that much and buying hops in bulk the cost is not a big deal.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

Small trade off indeed. It's not that much and buying hops in bulk the cost is not a big deal.

I also found I have 3+ pounds of Columbus in he freezer.  Looks like I will be using that for bittering soon.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

Do it!!  Trust me!!  I just found 2 packs of 34/70 so once I have these two beers done I will be doing a 30 minute German Pils.

just haven't made a lager since I started trying them out.  I'll do it at some point for sure.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

I also found I have 3+ pounds of Columbus in he freezer.  Looks like I will be using that for bittering soon.

sounds like a plan

I got 2 pounds of Columbus when Hops direct had a 2 for 1 sale, I also got 2 pounds of US Goldings. 

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

sounds like a plan

I got 2 pounds of Columbus when Hops direct had a 2 for 1 sale, I also got 2 pounds of US Goldings. 

sadly I found hops I had completely forgot about.  I need to inventory better.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the followup report!  I have to say I'm not too surprised by your results.  At PNWHC last year I sampled an IPA that supposedly had a 20 min. mash and a 20 min. boil.  It was an outstanding beer.  I intend to try that one of these days.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the followup report!  I have to say I'm not too surprised by your results.  At PNWHC last year I sampled an IPA that supposedly had a 20 min. mash and a 20 min. boil.  It was an outstanding beer.  I intend to try that one of these days.

I think for me it was getting over the mental stumbling block that was the 60 minute boil ( 90 for Pils malt  :frantic:) that seems to be drilled into my head from early on and then listening to Jamil on the BN podcasts latter on just saying again that the boil times are needed and "good for beer." I am glad for your post about the 20 minute beer and some others that helped me move this way.  I love brewing and I love beer but with other family and life commitments saving a bit of time is very helpful.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

I think for me it was getting over the mental stumbling block that was the 60 minute boil ( 90 for Pils malt  :frantic:) that seems to be drilled into my head from early on and then listening to Jamil on the BN podcasts latter on just saying again that the boil times are needed and "good for beer." I am glad for your post about the 20 minute beer and some others that helped me move this way.  I love brewing and I love beer but with other family and life commitments saving a bit of time is very helpful.

One of the big "high level" discussions at NHC was about how homebrewing has been changing.  More people these days don't see it as or want it to be a hobby or lifestyle or major commitment.  More and more, people want it to just be an activity they can easily integrate into their other activities.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

One of the big "high level" discussions at NHC was about how homebrewing has been changing.  More people these days don't see it as or want it to be a hobby or lifestyle or major commitment.  More and more, people want it to just be an activity they can easily integrate into their other activities.

I am not sure what it is for me.  I do not compete, never my thing.  I went to club meetings for a while but the appeal wore off.  I enjoy cooking and making things and well beer.  My goal has always been to make the best beer I can, I think my beer is pretty good as do others.  I also use it as out outlet to build and engineer stuff that I do not get to do in my day to day job, not something everyone in the hobby wants.  I can see more people wanting to have fresh beer but not want the second part and that is where I see the Zymatic fit in.  While not for me, I can see the new wave into homebrewing liking the fact you can buy a device that allows you to have fresh beer at home relatively easily.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

I'm not sure how to take that, I see the point, but at the same time I see that is also a sign that people are way, way too "busy" these days

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

oddly this popped up today in my FB feed.

https://brulosophy.c...omebrew-conned/

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure how to take that, I see the point, but at the same time I see that is also a sign that people are way, way too "busy" these days

Maybe from your point of view, or mine, that's true.  But I'm not about to tell someone how to spend their time or whether it's a valid use of their time, any more than you or I would like to hear that.

oddly this popped up today in my FB feed.

https://brulosophy.c...omebrew-conned/

Yeah, they're jumping on the bandwagon, too.  Although as I pointed out to them, they could have cut even more corners and likely had the same result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users