50 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

I'm not sure how to take that, I see the point, but at the same time I see that is also a sign that people are way, way too "busy" these days

True, people are to busy these days but I do not see that stopping any time soon.  Just need to adjust and fit things in when you can.  I have been trying to start my brewday between 5-6am so that I can get that done on a weekend and still have most of the day left for family and other stuff.

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

So back in November I talked about doing some 30 minute boils with 20 minute whirlpools.  Since then I have brewed about 12 - 5g batches and all but one have been 30 minute boils.  That one was a Dunkel and since then I have done 2 batches of helles with 30 minute boils no whirlpool.  I am not sure I am going back to 60 minute boils be honest.  I have seen no change in beer quality at all and I save some time.  Even beers with a lot of Pils malt do not have any issues.  The only downside, if you can call it that, is that you need to have all your ingredients ready to go.  There is not a lot of time between the bittering (30) addition and flameout so having all the hops weighed out and ready to go is a must IMO.  I still need to experiment more with variety of 30 minute hop I use.  I was using a lot of Apollo at 60 for bittering and I have gone mostly to Centennial now but need to get some batches done with Apollo and a few others to see how they work and if they introduce any flavors not desired.

It is really worth a try IMO.

Question:

How do I adjust my recipe in terms of water usage?  If I am not boiling for 60 minutes, won't my concentration of sugars be lower than with a longer boil?  Do I use less water, or do I use more grains?  I am interested in trying this, but would like to know how I should adjust to hit my intended gravity.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Question:

How do I adjust my recipe in terms of water usage?  If I am not boiling for 60 minutes, won't my concentration of sugars be lower than with a longer boil?  Do I use less water, or do I use more grains?  I am interested in trying this, but would like to know how I should adjust to hit my intended gravity.

you just lower your boil off amount and it should all work out.  how do you create your recipes now?

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Question:

The beer i did yesterday was 9.25# of grain and I used 7.6g of water so that I would have 6.75g in the kettle for preboil.  That gave me a Pre-boil gravity of 1.038.  If I did a normal 60 minute boil I would have used 8.4g to get a pre-boil of 7.5g with a pre-boil gravity of 1.034.  In both the gravity at the end of the boil should be about 1.043 in my case.

So the lower boil beer will have less water and therefore a higher sugar concentration. 

#25 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Well, if you calculate 10% boil-off per hour, I know Promash will do that for you.

I STILL haven't made the change to BrewSmith even though I bought the software.... at Grand Rapids NHBC :blush:

So other than the one instance reported, have other folk done 100% Pils grain bills with 30 minutes?

I mean, for the first 60 minutes, I can smell the corn in the steam. And as a judge I know I have an over-sensitivity to DMS, so I always ask if the other two are tasting it before I ding the brewer.  'Cause it could possibly be only my perceptions, but the beer is OK for normal people.

Also we have to talk about how vigorous the boil is.

Gently roiling boil vs. wort jumping out of the BK?

I kinda do like 10% more Pilsner.

At 14 gal initial volume, that's almost like a pint or two.  ;)

As you can see, I'm very interested in this concept.

Ironkite caught Brulosophy's presentation at NHBC 2016.

I decided to watch one on brewing with honey instead.

Had no idea Brulosophy was presenting. :crazy:

The printed program material was missing some important details on presenters.

Arrgh!

Edited by Stout_fan, 23 June 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

Let's see if this works... My boil

httpss://goo.gl/photos/YSkGujyeV4Kwg4Um6

#27 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

I was considering a 30 minute boil today.  Once I started sparging I realized I really need that 60 minute boil.  Brewday here is ride the stationary bike during the mash.  Kegging during the sparge - then clean the fermenter and sanitize.  Once the boil settles, dump grains and clean the cooler MT.  Grab a bite to eat.  Easy then, whirlpool and wait.  Run through the plate chiller and post chiller when needed.  Cleanup and call it a day.  I get a lot done  brewdays besides brewing.  I need that 60 minute boil at my place.

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

I'm glad you posted this Drez. Great contribution. I'm going implement this soon. My next beer already has the water and salts measured for a 60 min boil. But the one after that (a Saison) will be 30. Any suggestions for a 30 min hop with high alpha and minimal flavor contributions for a Saison? I'll probably just go with Apollo or Bravo unless someone convinces me otherwise.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm glad you posted this Drez. Great contribution. I'm going implement this soon. My next beer already has the water and salts measured for a 60 min boil. But the one after that (a Saison) will be 30. Any suggestions for a 30 min hop with high alpha and minimal flavor contributions for a Saison? I'll probably just go with Apollo or Bravo unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Magnum?

#30 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:22 PM

Let's see if this works... My boil

httpss://goo.gl/photos/YSkGujyeV4Kwg4Um6

What % boil-off? A lot of us homebrewers get the 8-10% recommended to remove DMS pretty early in the boil. I find that it is easy to have the evaporation edge up toward 20% with a 60 min boil, unless I dial back the heat.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

What % boil-off? A lot of us homebrewers get the 8-10% recommended to remove DMS pretty early in the boil. I find that it is easy to have the evaporation edge up toward 20% with a 60 min boil, unless I dial back the heat.

About 11%

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Don't you find measuring boiloff in % to be kinda difficult?  That would mean you boil off twice as much in a 10 gal. batch as a 5 gal.  Doesn't happen that way at my house!

#33 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Don't you find measuring boiloff in % to be kinda difficult? That would mean you boil off twice as much in a 10 gal. batch as a 5 gal. Doesn't happen that way at my house!

I'm not sure why measuring boil-off would be difficult, its just volume evaporated÷initial volume.

Perhaps you mean targeting a specific % evaporation, which I don't really try to do, but I have learned to work my system so that I get a consistent one. Not to hit a specific rate, just for consistency. But I don't jump around a lot between different target volumes.

Mostly, I think it may be valuable to know your percent. Losing the same volume for 5 and 10 gal batches could mean 10% in one an 5% in the other. That could lead to DMS in one and not in the other, according to Fix.

#34 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

About 11%

I figured that might be the case. This is probably another one of those situations where homebrewers have an advantage over commercial brewers. As a result, something that seems to be a rule for them can be ignored by us.

#35 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

So other than the one instance reported, have other folk done 100% Pils grain bills with 30 minutes?
I mean, for the first 60 minutes, I can smell the corn in the steam.

I haven't tried it yet because I haven't seen an advantage for me, yet. I'm another one that monitors DMS odor in the steam. I can usually only detect it for 30-40 minutes. It is probably more concentrated in the steam than the beer, though, so I might not notice it in the beer if I stopped the boil before I stopped smelling it.

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'm not sure why measuring boil-off would be difficult, its just volume evaporated÷initial volume.

Perhaps you mean targeting a specific % evaporation, which I don't really try to do, but I have learned to work my system so that I get a consistent one. Not to hit a specific rate, just for consistency. But I don't jump around a lot between different target volumes.

Mostly, I think it may be valuable to know your percent. Losing the same volume for 5 and 10 gal batches could mean 10% in one an 5% in the other. That could lead to DMS in one and not in the other, according to Fix.

What I was getting at (poorly) is that gal./hr. is a better way to measure boiloff.  If I boil off 1.5 gal. on a 5 gal. batch, I won't boil off 3 gal. in a 10 gal. batch.

That's a lot more dependent on the malt itself and boil vigor.

#37 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:46 AM

What I was getting at (poorly) is that gal./hr. is a better way to measure boiloff. If I boil off 1.5 gal. on a 5 gal. batch, I won't boil off 3 gal. in a 10 gal. batch.

Exactly, that's why the % evaporation tends to be higher for home brewers. You seem to be concerned about predicting final volume while I assume, for the purposes of this discussion, that the brewer has figured out how to do that for different volumes and boil lengths.

That's a lot more dependent on the malt itself and boil vigor.

Definitely a function of malt, in that there is less DMS to remove from some malts than others. I meant to be referring to otherwise identical batches; primarily I'm thinking of Pilsner Malt.

It could be argued that boil vigor might only be a factor in that it changes the percent evaporation. Either way, they are difficult to disentangle.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

About 11%

Also, about 1.5g per hour

#39 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

I lose 2 gallons with a 60 minute boil.  But then my kettle diameter is almost 20".  

#40 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Also, about 1.5g per hour

If I dial in the heat carefully, I can get mine down to 0.75 gal/hr while just maintaining a rolling boil. No DMS issues with Pilsner Malt after an hour, but that's still ~18% evaporation at my batch size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users