33 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

I had a keg of one of my "American Pub Ale" kind of beers. I tasted it when it first came on tap and it was good but I thought a dry-hop addition would be just the ticket. I just picked up 4 ounces of Styrian Goldings from Farmhouse so I dropped 2 ounces of pellets (in a muslin bag) in there for 5-6 days (after the keg warmed up), then chilled it and put it on tap about a week ago. These hops must have been bad because I'm getting that stinky gym sock flavor and aroma. I did not pick up that character when I opened the bag and I think I just need to be more sensitive about it. I had some Tettnanger that was the same way last year. I assume that if these goldings had been dropped into the boil they would still have given the beer this character, correct? It's not because I used them as dry hops, right? Pretty much ruined a keg of beer with these hops which is very discouraging.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Had some bad Tettnanger last year too. Luckily I smelled them first and threw them out.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

I don't think you would have gotten that in the kettle for early additions, but you may have for a later addition.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

After I sampled the beer with the dry hops, the next day I was brewing a pale ale with Magnum, Crystal and Santiam. Every time I smelled "hops", the alarm bells went off... AM I DETECTING STINKY GYM SOCKS!??! I would smell the Magnum, Crystal and Santiam and they were clean. I need to be better about picking it up before I use them.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

I try to always let my hops I'm using warm up so I can really smell them before they go in a beer.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

I try to always let my hops I'm using warm up so I can really smell them before they go in a beer.

Did that yesterday with some centenial.  One was OK but the other (from Hop Heaven) smelled awesome, made my decision easy!

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

Did that yesterday with some centenial.  One was OK but the other (from Hop Heaven) smelled awesome, made my decision easy!

Yeah, as I've often said, I think they're the best!

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, as I've often said, I think they're the best!

I agree, excellent hops.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

I bought a pound of those same Cents last month, in a 2fer deal with a pound of Mt hood, haven't opened them yet.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

This may be the second time I got bad hops from Farmhouse. I may want to check that to see if these Styrian Goldings came from Rebel or something but either way... bummer.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Ken I haven't found the hops from farmhouse are very good. I smash pellets with my mortar and pestle and give them a good smell before usin. Their hops are always very bland in aroma.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

Ken I haven't found the hops from farmhouse are very good. I smash pellets with my mortar and pestle and give them a good smell before usin. Their hops are always very bland in aroma.

Good to know. I may scratch them off my list.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

Huh, I have had good luck with them. Off the top of my head Simcoe, Apollo, Nelson and Chinook have all been good.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

Huh, I have had good luck with them. Off the top of my head Simcoe, Apollo, Nelson and Chinook have all been good.

Some of the ones I've had that were bland were delicate nobles. Saphir, Saaz, also(not noble) First Gold, Aramis.

ETA: Had some 2015 CTZ that seemed OK when opened. Vaccum seal and froze them and ~ 1mth later were faded in color and gym socky--Don't know how those went South that fast. Never have had that happen before.

Edited by chils, 23 June 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

That is odd, no hops should go bad that fast in those conditions.

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

That is odd, no hops should go bad that fast in those conditions.

I know. I almost thought I didn't notice it when I first opened them. They were very pungent and oniony. Color change was what was strangest. Like very old oxidized hops. Advertised as 2015 harvest.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Same and with the same varieties and many more.

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

When buying from farmhouse, how are they packaged?

I've only bought bulk hops from hops direct, and they are always vacuum sealed in mylar bags.

Whenever I go to a lhbs, I usually see the hops in the hop union bags, sometimes at room temp. It doesn't inspire confidence, and it makes me want to continue to just buy in bulk when I need hops (which is hard for me to justify since I have so much on hand, just not always the variety that a recipe calls for)

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

When buying from farmhouse, how are they packaged?

I've only bought bulk hops from hops direct, and they are always vacuum sealed in mylar bags.

Whenever I go to a lhbs, I usually see the hops in the hop union bags, sometimes at room temp. It doesn't inspire confidence, and it makes me want to continue to just buy in bulk when I need hops (which is hard for me to justify since I have so much on hand, just not always the variety that a recipe calls for)

I have always got packages like this

11017874_10153799180109657_5055267593619

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

Yes, all my Farmhouse hops look like those in Drez' pic. The Styrian Goldings were indeed from Farmhouse. I wonder if they are somehow mishandled and then packaged this way. They could be O2-purged and vacuum-sealed but if they were in the trunk of someone's car for 2 months, it wouldn't help. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users