33 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Yes, all my Farmhouse hops look like those in Drez' pic. The Styrian Goldings were indeed from Farmhouse. I wonder if they are somehow mishandled and then packaged this way. They could be O2-purged and vacuum-sealed but if they were in the trunk of someone's car for 2 months, it wouldn't help. :P

Very true ... Slovenia is a long car ride!!

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:56 AM

Yes, all my Farmhouse hops look like those in Drez' pic. The Styrian Goldings were indeed from Farmhouse. I wonder if they are somehow mishandled and then packaged this way. They could be O2-purged and vacuum-sealed but if they were in the trunk of someone's car for 2 months, it wouldn't help. :P

Keep in mind that Styrian Goldings likely come from Europe.  There's a lot that could happen before they get to Farmhouse.

#23 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

Keep in mind that Styrian Goldings likely come from Europe.  There's a lot that could happen before they get to Farmhouse.

most hops that I've had staling issues with over the years have been european

I got a pound of WGV from HD once that was cheesy, they were very gracious and gave me a free pound of Willamette as a substitute though.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

most hops that I've had staling issues with over the years have been european

I got a pound of WGV from HD once that was cheesy, they were very gracious and gave me a free pound of Willamette as a substitute though.

This has been my experience. The worst hops I have had have all been european. 

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

This has been my experience. The worst hops I have had have all been european. 

For me it was American .. Amarillo to be exact . :(

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53928 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hmm, Tettnanger and Styrian Goldings were both bad and both from Farmhouse. I'm not blaming farmhouse but I wonder if some places are more likely to toss funky-smelling hops as opposed to package them up. I'm just going to be more careful before I use them.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hmm, Tettnanger and Styrian Goldings were both bad and both from Farmhouse. I'm not blaming farmhouse but I wonder if some places are more likely to toss funky-smelling hops as opposed to package them up. I'm just going to be more careful before I use them.

Could be Farmhouse's connection for continental hops

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

Ken are you certain they were Styrian Goldings and not Styrian Gold or Styrian Celeia et al.? 

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53928 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

Ken are you certain they were Styrian Goldings and not Styrian Gold or Styrian Celeia et al.?

Package says Styrian Gold 4.0%. Is that different than Styrian Goldings? If so, never known there was a difference. Also, if there *IS* a difference, the difference is that Styrian Gold smells and tastes like feet. :D

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

Package says Styrian Gold 4.0%. Is that different than Styrian Goldings? If so, never known there was a difference. Also, if there *IS* a difference, the difference is that Styrian Gold smells and tastes like feet. :D

I've never used it but says here it is not the same hop.

https://www.hopslist...s/styrian-gold/

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53928 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

I've never used it but says here it is not the same hop.
https://www.hopslist...s/styrian-gold/

Huh. Thanks for posting that. I find it to be quite confusing and misleading and that whoever named it had the desire to confuse people. All that said, I'm sure that these hops are not really supposed to be this way. The description makes them sound very nice to me but these were anything but nice. I will be more careful choosing this hop in the future... I have had some really nice Styrian Goldings hops in the past but I stopped buying them because 1) they were hard to find and 2) the AA was really low... like 1.9%.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53928 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

Vowing this would never happen again, I went over to Farmhouse.com and I carefully ordered some new hops. I picked up some Tittnanger (grown in Vietnam) and some Spolt (Russia) and also Hallertau Traditional (Kenya). They also had some Armarilla (China), Cytra (Korea) and some Nelson Sowrong (Peru). That should just about do it. :P

#33 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:24 AM

Vowing this would never happen again, I went over to Farmhouse.com and I carefully ordered some new hops. I picked up some Tittnanger (grown in Vietnam) and some Spolt (Russia) and also Hallertau Traditional (Kenya). They also had some Armarilla (China), Cytra (Korea) and some Nelson Sowrong (Peru). That should just about do it. :P

Lol. I just love their Parley (Caribbean), Cloister(Rome), and Muggles(Hogworts Acdmy)

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53928 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

Lol. I just love their Parley (Caribbean), Cloister(Rome), and Muggles(Hogworts Acdmy)

:lol:

I still can't believe there is a Styrian Gold that is different from Styrian Golding. Mind boggling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users