#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

Did a 007 style starter Saturday of 833 and had about an inch of krausen after 18 hours.

It is an ale, and I've use that one a lot with similar results.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

Will be brewing something on Sunday. I planned to try out some 1332 but ditched that idea. So it will be US-05. I'm guessing a IPA. Not sure on the hops yet, would like to try a new combo to me. I'm running low on a few varieties so I may be limited on some things. I do have a pound of Azacca I've never used to work in at some point. I may just look around the recipe forum to find some hop combos and go from there.

They work good with Simcoe.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

It is an ale, and I've use that one a lot with similar results.

Huh? I am talking a starter of wlp833. 007 refers to the shaken not stirred method.

So, yes I get krausen with lagers starters.

Edited by drez77, 24 June 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#24 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

When you do lager starters, do you generally see a krausen ring? I think I've seen them where they don't among mine. Neither of the starters have a ring yet at 16 hours.

I've noticed that a slow fermenting lager starter might not have a ring if spinning on the plate vigorously. I think the vortex spins them out. My last S-189 drauflassen starter had no ring until I turned off the plate then bubbles formed w/in 1hr. I try to spin <4hrs so as not to oxidize the beer.

olmRcbl.jpg

Edited by chils, 24 June 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#25 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

They work good with Simcoe.

Ok cool, that's perfect I have plenty of Simcoe. So that being said I'm thinking a Simcoe/Azacca/Columbus IPA.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

Ok cool, that's perfect I have plenty of Simcoe. So that being said I'm thinking a Simcoe/Azacca/Columbus IPA.

I give it two drunk thumbs-up!

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:16 AM

I added the fresh yeast last night and it looks good this morning.

Sounds really good!

#28 ZYMFUL

ZYMFUL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

I've been gettin weird lately. Just kegged up a Wit with grapefruit zest and cardamom (half is on Sacch-Brett-Like Trois); it has smelled awesome the whole time. This weekend I'm brewing a heavily ryed Saison with Sorachi Ace and Caraway Seed. Going to pitch B.Brux in half.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

Might try that. I picked up to fresh packs of 2124 and smacked them.

When you do lager starters, do you generally see a krausen ring? I think I've seen them where they don't among mine. Neither of the starters have a ring yet at 16 hours. I think I'll pitch the fresh packs. I did use the anti foam stuff so that might be at work too.

I think I just look for activity. I want to see bubbles, some foaming, etc. After 18 hours I might be a little concerned but not so much that I would scrap it. I have been making 2L started with 7 ounces of DME and if the yeast is fresh(ish), I expect to see quick activity. If I know the yeast might be sluggish, I'll start things a couple days earlier. I don't necessarily look for a krauesen ring.

I have things organized for a Bordertown Dark Lager brewday and the strike water is heating. Enjoy your brewdays Beerheads!

#30 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23545 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Will be brewing something on Sunday. I planned to try out some 1332 but ditched that idea. So it will be US-05. I'm guessing a IPA. Not sure on the hops yet, would like to try a new combo to me. I'm running low on a few varieties so I may be limited on some things. I do have a pound of Azacca I've never used to work in at some point. I may just look around the recipe forum to find some hop combos and go from there.

Us 05 is a wonderful thing!

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

Us 05 is a wonderful thing!

Until you one day taste the peachiness in it.  Once you do, you can't untaste it!

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

Until you one day taste the peachiness in it.  Once you do, you can't untaste it!

Yeah, a peachy-apricot thing. Not sure how I got it or how to avoid it other than not use US05 anymore.

#33 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, a peachy-apricot thing. Not sure how I got it or how to avoid it other than not use US05 anymore.

That was my solution.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

That was my solution.

I may have gotten that flavor by allowing it to ferment to cool. That sounds weird because esters normally pop up in warmer temps but I like to ferment my ales between 60 and maybe 63°. It was a pronounced peach-apricot flavor and some people asked me about "the fruit in the beer". :covreyes:

#35 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

I've been gettin weird lately. Just kegged up a Wit with grapefruit zest and cardamom (half is on Sacch-Brett-Like Trois); it has smelled awesome the whole time. This weekend I'm brewing a heavily ryed Saison with Sorachi Ace and Caraway Seed. Going to pitch B.Brux in half.

I have a friend that brews a wit with Amarillo for that grapefruitiness. Peeps love it.

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

They're here!

Cl0RX7eVEAA1u1u.jpg

#37 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

Denny I expect a full report! Water temp, etc... see if it's worth the big chunk of change I won't tell my wife about :D

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

Until you one day taste the peachiness in it. Once you do, you can't untaste it!

I actually shoot for the peach flavor from it as do many others doing NE IPAs. Similar to Conan.

Edited by drez77, 25 June 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

Denny I expect a full report! Water temp, etc... see if it's worth the big chunk of change I won't tell my wife about :D

Will do!  Have to enlarge the opening on my kettle first so I can fit it in!

I actually shoot for the peach flavor from it as do many others doing NE IPAs. Similar to Conan.

shakes head....;)

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

shakes head....;)

I fully expected that :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users