#41 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

I actually shoot for the peach flavor from it as do many others doing NE IPAs. Similar to Conan.

shakes head.... ;)

I fully expected that :)

This kinda reminds me of something that stain said in the PH. If it tastes good just eat it(or drink it). It may not be the "correct" way of doing something, but if it's good for you then just do. I mean I would never put ketchup on a bratwurst, but if someone else wants to so be it.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

This kinda reminds me of something that stain said in the PH. If it tastes good just eat it(or drink it). It may not be the "correct" way of doing something, but if it's good for you then just do. I mean I would never put ketchup on a bratwurst, but if someone else wants to so be it.

Good point

#43 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Good point

Absolutely.  One of the reasons we make our own beer is so that we cam make what we want to drink.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

Absolutely. One of the reasons we make our own beer is so that we cam make what we want to drink.

You bet! And after that keg just kicked I need to brew some more beer I want.

#45 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

Just getting to a boil on a rye pale ale here.  With loads of hops!

#46 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:56 AM

Just got mashed in on the pils. Late start. I don't expect to get home before midnight tonight.

#47 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:53 PM

Absolutely.  One of the reasons we make our own beer is so that we cam make what we want to drink.

You bet! And after that keg just kicked I need to brew some more beer I want.

Yep. I was just having this convo with a buddy today while brewing. He loves beer but doesn't brew. So he is always trying every beer he can get his hands on to find something he likes. I told him that's the main reason I brew, to brew what I like. I like trying different commercial beers, but I'm not going out of my way to try them.

Btw, chilling my SAC IPA (Simcoe, Azacca and Columbus) right now. 30 min boil and 30 min hopstand at 170. Everything went well and now enjoying a few pints and cigar by the pool.

#48 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

Rye pale ale in the fermenter.  Hit my target volume and OG.  1 oz. of Azacca FWH, 1/2 oz, CTZ at 60, 1 oz. each of Azacca, Citra, Bravo, Simcoe, and Amarillo at flameout.

#49 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

I need to brew... Just kicked my second keg of the day... RIP rye APA. Looks like a two batches next weekend.

#50 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

I'm in the boil kettle. Time to clean the fermenter and get it ready and make my hoses for chilling. 

#51 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

Rye pale ale in the fermenter.  Hit my target volume and OG.  1 oz. of Azacca FWH, 1/2 oz, CTZ at 60, 1 oz. each of Azacca, Citra, Bravo, Simcoe, and Amarillo at flameout.

That's out of character for you. Are you coming around to the fruity hops or is this a Bravo dry hop experiment?

#52 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

Spun a 10 gallon batch of Pale Ale with my brother; Magnum in FWH and at 30. Cascade and Mandarina Bavaria at 10, 5 and flame out. First time with the Mandarina and it smells heavenly.

#53 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

That's out of character for you. Are you coming around to the fruity hops or is this a Bravo dry hop experiment?

Mainly as a Bravo experiment a la Stan.  Also hoping that there are enough different hops to subdue the fruitiness a bit.  I've actually had a couple beers where I liked Citra once it was blended with other hops.  Just trying to broaden my horizons a bit.....

#54 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

As predicted I didn't get home until midnight. Neighbor came over and I took a break from cleaning for a couple hours. Gotta go back after work and finish the job and check on things.

My recipe called for 50# of pils, I threw the whole sack in (55#) and sparged with an extra gallon of water. I didn't want a 6% pils for the summer, and the pre boil wort started out at 1.051, so I boiled hard for 30 minutes, then turned down the flame a bit and boiled a lighter for another 60. Usually I boil for 90 on this batch with a rate of about 12%/hr the way I have the recipe set up. The extra gallon of water and turning the boil down helped keep from getting the OG too high. Ended up only raising the OG to 1.055, which is the intended OG. So I ended up hitting my numbers the way I wanted.

We're taking this beer to the keys at the end of July for lobster mini season. It's HOT. Really don't want the beer to be too big to be less refreshing.

I did not use the brewtan. I'll use it the next time I brew Kolsch since I know that beer best.

#55 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

As predicted I didn't get home until midnight. Neighbor came over and I took a break from cleaning for a couple hours. Gotta go back after work and finish the job and check on things.

My recipe called for 50# of pils, I threw the whole sack in (55#) and sparged with an extra gallon of water. I didn't want a 6% pils for the summer, and the pre boil wort started out at 1.051, so I boiled hard for 30 minutes, then turned down the flame a bit and boiled a lighter for another 60. Usually I boil for 90 on this batch with a rate of about 12%/hr the way I have the recipe set up. The extra gallon of water and turning the boil down helped keep from getting the OG too high. Ended up only raising the OG to 1.055, which is the intended OG. So I ended up hitting my numbers the way I wanted.

We're taking this beer to the keys at the end of July for lobster mini season. It's HOT. Really don't want the beer to be too big to be less refreshing.

I did not use the brewtan. I'll use it the next time I brew Kolsch since I know that beer best.

yeah that's pushing the upper limit of refreshing IMO too

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

yeah that's pushing the upper limit of refreshing IMO too

Agree but for me it would depend on how dry it finishes.  The dryer the better for refreshing .. IMO.

#57 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:50 AM

Agree but for me it would depend on how dry it finishes.  The dryer the better for refreshing .. IMO.

It's finished dry the two previous times.

OH, I almost forgot. I now know what autolysis smells like. I was cleaning up stuff while getting ready to brew when I smelled something foul, but I was just getting a whiff...

Before I move my fermentors from the chamber, I dump the yeast from the bottom valve and usually toss it. Well, 2 weeks ago I kegged the Kolsch and cleaned the fermentor. I put the mop bucket that I had dumped the yeast into on top of the HLT, which is slightly above my normal eye line of sight. Well, I found it and it smelled like the inside of a hobo's ass.

I dumped it out in the woods and a little got on my hand. Holy hell that was disgusting. I rinsed out the bucket three times, soaked it in PBW, and it still had a lingering smell. So I soaked it in beer line cleaner and then filled it with starsan. That did it. I use it for overflow in the ferm chamber when the CO2 blow off gets a bit over zealous.

I'm pretty sure you could use that as a biological weapon. It's really that bad.

#58 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

It's finished dry the two previous times.

OH, I almost forgot. I now know what autolysis smells like. I was cleaning up stuff while getting ready to brew when I smelled something foul, but I was just getting a whiff...

Before I move my fermentors from the chamber, I dump the yeast from the bottom valve and usually toss it. Well, 2 weeks ago I kegged the Kolsch and cleaned the fermentor. I put the mop bucket that I had dumped the yeast into on top of the HLT, which is slightly above my normal eye line of sight. Well, I found it and it smelled like the inside of a hobo's ass.

I dumped it out in the woods and a little got on my hand. Holy hell that was disgusting. I rinsed out the bucket three times, soaked it in PBW, and it still had a lingering smell. So I soaked it in beer line cleaner and then filled it with starsan. That did it. I use it for overflow in the ferm chamber when the CO2 blow off gets a bit over zealous.

I'm pretty sure you could use that as a biological weapon. It's really that bad.

I gave a guy at work 2 big oversized coffee cans of spent grain for his compost bin, well he put one in and forgot the other for a month, out in the sun, he decided to open it up after that and put it in his compost, well he had it below a bedroom window and he opened the can and it was so vile he dropped it while trying not to hurl, and it landed below his open bedroom window, his gf wouldnt sleep in there it was so vile, like rotted meat bad.

#59 ZYMFUL

ZYMFUL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

I gave a guy at work 2 big oversized coffee cans of spent grain for his compost bin, well he put one in and forgot the other for a month, out in the sun, he decided to open it up after that and put it in his compost, well he had it below a bedroom window and he opened the can and it was so vile he dropped it while trying not to hurl, and it landed below his open bedroom window, his gf wouldnt sleep in there it was so vile, like rotted meat bad.

Oh man I can imagine. I tried a sour mash when I first started brewing and it smelled like vomit. If grain cans sat for a week in the sun they got real bad. I don't want to know what a month smells like.

#60 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Oh man I can imagine. I tried a sour mash when I first started brewing and it smelled like vomit. If grain cans sat for a week in the sun they got real bad. I don't want to know what a month smells like.

apparently it smells like unearthing a rotting corpse, according to Damian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users