Photo
- - - - -

What is Your Least Favorite Hop, Malt and Yeast?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

Malt: DJ pretty much nailed it. There is no reason for peat malt to exist in the brewing world.
Hops: Summit.
Yeast: None that I truly hate but I've never been a big fan of 1056. I used to use a good bit of Ringwood.

Weren't you the one who proclaimed that 1010 "had no soul"? :D

#22 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

Weren't you the one who proclaimed that 1010 "had no soul"? :D

That's true. Useless yeast imo. Totally forgot about that one. 1056 has no soul either but it does have a couple of uses, just nothing that 1450 doesn't do better.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

No more attempts with smoked malt
No more use of hefe yeast; neither bananas nor cloves
No more Mosaic and it's green pasture (assuming I got a weird batch)

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

No more attempts with smoked malt
No more use of hefe yeast; neither bananas nor cloves
No more Mosaic and it's green pasture (assuming I got a weird batch)

I did try some sort of smoked malt from Best that smelled AWESOME. The beer was not awesome. :D

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

I accidentally deleted my previous post,

but Sorachi Ace, peated malt, and s-23 lager yeast could all vanish from brewing without any tears from me

the only smoked malt I had any luck with is a locally made smoked 80L Crystal that one of my LHBS used to sell

#26 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

Hops: Strisslespalt ( only tried it once)

Malt: Not sure i have a least favorite, but least used is my black patent .

yeast: I had a german wheat yeast i hated once, but that was my fault( it got up to 80 degrees) and i tasted bubble gum.(never finished that keg,and it was 10 years ago-rookie for sure)

#27 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

Can't say I've tried any beer (mine or otherwise) where I thought a particular yeast or malt was to blame for shittiness, but I've definitely learned that I do not like Mosaic hops. They taste like rotten grass clippings to me. 

And ditto the "sweetness" with some of these new hops. I tried Citra in my last IPA. I used a handful of really light crystal, and some wheat in addition to the 2 row. Started at 1.075 and finished at 1.010, and it still has an odd sweetness that I just don't care for....no cat piss, though. Had a similar situation with an all Galaxy pale ale. No off flavors per-se, but they do impact the perception of the overall beer so I'd still use them, but take this into consideration when putting together recipes.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

Can't say I've tried any beer (mine or otherwise) where I thought a particular yeast or malt was to blame for shittiness, but I've definitely learned that I do not like Mosaic hops. They taste like rotten grass clippings to me. 

And ditto the "sweetness" with some of these new hops. I tried Citra in my last IPA. I used a handful of really light crystal, and some wheat in addition to the 2 row. Started at 1.075 and finished at 1.010, and it still has an odd sweetness that I just don't care for....no cat piss, though. Had a similar situation with an all Galaxy pale ale. No off flavors per-se, but they do impact the perception of the overall beer so I'd still use them, but take this into consideration when putting together recipes.

Wo! Nailed it!

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

Funny how people perceive hops differently.  I love mosaic, or I have loved it in the beers I have made with it.  Maybe the newer crops are different than the stuff I am using.

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

Funny how people perceive hops differently.  I love mosaic, or I have loved it in the beers I have made with it.  Maybe the newer crops are different than the stuff I am using.

Makes sense that it would be different year to year. I've heard the same happens with Summit. My first exposure to Summit was massive garlic & onions (which I like...in my supper) but in later years it seemed more citrusy.

#31 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

I absolutely want your "maybe" to be the case drezz. I've had beers with it that I loved all the melon. Every time I brew with it I get the rotten grass clippings. Maybe my lot is the problem.

#32 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

I absolutely want your "maybe" to be the case drezz. I've had beers with it that I loved all the melon. Every time I brew with it I get the rotten grass clippings. Maybe my lot is the problem.

Now that you mention it, freshly mown grass sometimes smells like watermelon to me.

#33 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

Now that you mention it, freshly mown grass sometimes smells like watermelon to me.

They say that the nose knows. Who knows.

#34 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

Can't stand Mosaic.  Also hate Simcoe.

Peat smoked malt should never have been invented or produced.

WLP820 is the worst yeast on the planet and is nothing at all like its supposed Wyeast counterpart.  WLP820 should not be produced or sold.

#35 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

me too

#36 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

That's true. Useless yeast imo. Totally forgot about that one. 1056 has no soul either but it does have a couple of uses, just nothing that 1450 doesn't do better.

Thought of another yeast I don't like: 2007, the Anheuser-Busch yeast. I always accused this yeast of throwing a lot of acetaldehyde, which accounts for the nasty green apple flavor of Budweiser. However recently I've read that it's the beechwood "aging" process that causes this. Beechwood chips are added to the fermenter to drop out the yeast before it has a chance to reduce the acetaldehyde. So it could be that the yeast is fine but their process is just broken. For now it remains on the list.

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Pretty much every hop is different every year to some extent.  According to my sources, the onion/garlic thing is due to harvesting too late.  I tell ya, you guys ought to get to Hop and Brew School.

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

Pretty much every hop is different every year to some extent.  According to my sources, the onion/garlic thing is due to harvesting too late.  I tell ya, you guys ought to get to Hop and Brew School.

There's even variance from field to field within the same variety on the same farm.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:46 PM

I can attest to the onion garlic on late harvesting.

#40 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIn a knife fight with a gypsy.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

Can't stand Mosaic.  Also hate Simcoe.

Peat smoked malt should never have been invented or produced.

WLP820 is the worst yeast on the planet and is nothing at all like its supposed Wyeast counterpart.  WLP820 should not be produced or sold.

820 is okay, but then I have never used it except in conjunction with 830. What was your issue with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users