Photo
- - - - -

What is Your Least Favorite Hop, Malt and Yeast?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIn a knife fight with a gypsy.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:18 PM

Thought of another yeast I don't like: 2007, the Anheuser-Busch yeast. I always accused this yeast of throwing a lot of acetaldehyde, which accounts for the nasty green apple flavor of Budweiser. However recently I've read that it's the beechwood "aging" process that causes this. Beechwood chips are added to the fermenter to drop out the yeast before it has a chance to reduce the acetaldehyde. So it could be that the yeast is fine but their process is just broken. For now it remains on the list.

Or the acetaldehyde is a feature and not a bug. Both Budweiser and Heineken have it (Bud some, Heine tons) and I suspect to the average drinker it adds a bit of crispness. I can tolerate Budweisser but cannot stand Heineken. 

#42 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

820 is okay, but then I have never used it except in conjunction with 830. What was your issue with it?

Slow to start, very poor attenuator, not a great tasting lager in general.  Any other lager yeast you can possibly find is better than this one.  And it's not just me.  Legions of homebrewers all over the interwebs hate this yeast.

#43 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIn a knife fight with a gypsy.

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

Slow to start, very poor attenuator, not a great tasting lager in general.  Any other lager yeast you can possibly find is better than this one.  And it's not just me.  Legions of homebrewers all over the interwebs hate this yeast.

Yeah I bought it b/c I couldn't get my usual WYeast Bavarian lager yeast and I read that 820 was the equivalent so I pitched it. I read it had low attenuation (Something the WYeast Bavarian rocks at) so I threw in the 830 as well and whatever the two of them did the results were very good.  

#44 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Ringwormod

I've had some good beers made with it but not by me.

Soraci Ace

tastes too much like lemon pledge most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users