#21 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:38 AM

I use my local Welsco. $20/20lb fills with exchange and they don't check hydro dates. Airgas wanted to break it off in me and invite Jack to my land to pick berries.

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:31 AM

And Jack is bringing friends...nice thread bleed  :D

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

Y'all need to legalize weed. The grow shops around here are refilling 20# tanks for $8.

00h0h_gxIE0uC2Gg6_600x450.jpg

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

That's awesome! The place I go is $18 for a swap and is by far the cheapest around.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

Y'all need to legalize weed. The grow shops around here are refilling 20# tanks for $8.

haven't checked them, but, we certainly have them :D

#26 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Unfortunately they won't touch a 5# tank. So it costs me over twice as much to fill up my 5 pounder for my kegerator as it does my 20.

#27 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19060 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

Why 20#? There's been a few times I wish I didn't have a 10# tank when a slow leak developed...

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Why 20#? There's been a few times I wish I didn't have a 10# tank when a slow leak developed...

Want to use it in a keezer I am building. To condition and serve as well as to fill bottles/growlers with a CPF. My other problem is lack of access to a place that will fill them. The closest place is an hour from me.

#29 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

Cheaper to fill, last longer but seem to be heavier every time I refill one.  Leaks suck.

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

the 20# only costs $2 more to fill, and if you don't get a leak, lasts 2x as long

that being said, I lost a whole 20#er to a slow leak this spring :(  it's fixed now

#31 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

Cheaper to fill, last longer but seem to be heavier every time I refill one.  Leaks suck.

the 20# only costs $2 more to fill, and if you don't get a leak, lasts 2x as long

that being said, I lost a whole 20#er to a slow leak this spring :(  it's fixed now

Yup, this is why I went to 50# tanks for stationary uses. I have one at the walk-in for only pushing beers (it has lasted nearly 10 years at that duty, and is only just now running on fumes), and I have another for all other duties. It has given me a lot of use, but is also on fumes now.

I also have five 20# tanks that I use for more portable needs. If I need CO2 in the garage for something (usually for running cleaner through the jockey boxes), or for when I serve using the jockey boxes, etc.

I used to have smaller tanks from 10# all the way down to a 2.5# tank, but sold or traded them off, I found them too tedious to keep up with, especially when I was using the bigger tanks for almost everything.

With the 50# tanks, I always turn the tank valve off when I am done (or at least I try to always remember to), which has helped me keep those tanks around as long as possible before a refill. They are heavy steel tanks! I do not look forward to getting them tested and filled again, though I may be able to swap them at my local airgas (it helps having an airgas corporate manager as one of the club members, we also get a discount on the 20# swaps which I haven't taken advantage of yet).

#32 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10729 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

Not sure if the OP got his tank yet or not. The first thing to do is decide if you will be getting refills or exchanges. The best place near me only does exchanges. So don't spent a bunch of money on a shiny new tank that you may trade for an old rusty one. If they are exchanges usually you can get a good deal buying one from them such as first fill free.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

Not sure if the OP got his tank yet or not. The first thing to do is decide if you will be getting refills or exchanges. The best place near me only does exchanges. So don't spent a bunch of money on a shiny new tank that you may trade for an old rusty one. If they are exchanges usually you can get a good deal buying one from them such as first fill free.

good point there.

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:08 AM

Yep, good point. They will fill or exchange with no option to buy a 20# tank. Their only 20# option is a $189.00 lease for 5 yrs and no free fills. 

I bit the bullet on Prime for $124.00

#35 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10729 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

My only problem with the 20# tank is that I used to always ask for a propane fill instead of a co2 fill. The guy at the fill shop would get a chuckle that I was going to carb my beer with propane.

* not even Hank Hill would do that *

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

what is CO2 used for when growing weed?  making an extra CO2 rich environment?

#37 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

what is CO2 used for when growing weed? making an extra CO2 rich environment?

that and oil extraction, extraction is a big business here, also there is a huge indoor commercial grow about 200 yards from my house, and when the wind blows this way it's downright dank

#38 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19060 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

Missed this before. You know if they'll fill a 10# tank? I think I'm getting close to needing a fill. 

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

Missed this before. You know if they'll fill a 10# tank? I think I'm getting close to needing a fill.

locally here they only swap, and it's 20s and 50s

#40 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14176 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

that and oil extraction, extraction is a big business here, also there is a huge indoor commercial grow about 200 yards from my house, and when the wind blows this way it's downright dank

How much do you know about the extraction?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users