#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

Drew and I have started an Experimental Brewing YouTube channel. Here's the first upload...

httpss://youtu.be/YHsukb9W6MQ

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

I always like that question although I think it's asked a lot. The idea that the beer was made with your tastebuds in mind and that it may very well surpass commercial beers is what I usually say. I also assume that I could make a higher-quality product because I don't have budgetary constraints that are applied over many, many gallons of beer. It's just fun to make beer, share beer and drink beer with like-minded people.

Denny... was that you singing in the vid?

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, that was me. Kind of you to call it singing!

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, that was me. Kind of you to call it singing!

It was singing, no question. I have seen that shot of you with the guitar (ukulele?) but never heard any audio before now.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

It was singing, no question. I have seen that shot of you with the guitar (ukulele?) but never heard any audio before now.

ukulele.....I thought the vocals sounded a bit like a wounded dog.

Edited by denny, 07 July 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#6 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

Denny, your voice reminded me of Peter Berryman. If you haven't heard of him, he and his (ex)wife record together. https://louandpeter.com

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

Because beer. It's the great social equalizer and it makes me feel good to see people being happy while drinking something I made.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Because beer. It's the great social equalizer and it makes me feel good to see people being happy while drinking something I made.

Right. Similar to someone who likes to cook and many of us seem to like to cook too so there is a common thread there.

I have to say that there is one piece of this that I like but this is not why I brew... when people come to your house/basement/bar area or whatever and look at you like you're crazy. Most people don't see taps in homes and many people taste the beer and start asking questions about beer and brewing and that exchange has always fascinated me because I realize how much beer culture and brewing information I have absorbed. How do you make the beer stronger? Is a lager always light in color? Are ales always stronger? Do hops add to the ABV? So many wild questions and I have to answer without getting overly specific or they zone out. My nieces and nephews and their friends and significant others have been here numerous times and on this last trip in May (another one this weekend) a new saying was born. When my nephew and his friend were REALLY slow to get up one morning, they kept saying, "I couldn't help it. Beer comes out of the wall!" and they kept repeating it over and over. They warn others that are coming, "Careful. Beer comes out of the wall". :D

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

That's awesome Ken!

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

Impossible to find the types of beer that I brew and too cheap to buy them if I could find them.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Impossible to find the types of beer that I brew and too cheap to buy them if I could find them.

furiously justifying $1000's in equipment, books, ingredients...

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

furiously justifying $1000's in equipment, books, ingredients...

Not me homie. I brew on eqpt I've had for years. Last upgrade was 5yrs ago. Bought a $30 10gal alum tamale steamer pot. Toilet braid in a cooler, mill I bought in 2008, turkey fryer I paid $30 in 2008. An ex-brewer gave me 7kegs and 2/20lb CO2 tanks. Ingredients and propane only. Use 1 pack of yeast for ~ 1year. I use ~1.25lb propane per batch due to doing everything on my kitchen stovetop except the boil.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

Not me homie. I brew on eqpt I've had for years. Last upgrade was 5yrs ago. Bought a $30 10gal alum tamale steamer pot. Toilet braid in a cooler, mill I bought in 2008, turkey fryer I paid $30 in 2008. An ex-brewer gave me 7kegs and 2/20lb CO2 tanks. Ingredients and propane only. Use 1 pack of yeast for ~ 1year. I use ~1.25lb propane per batch due to doing everything on my kitchen stovetop except the boil.

And your fermentation method?

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

I'm the same way... my equipment is ghetto. Rubbermaid cooler, ss braid, 10-gallon, no frills SS polarware kettle. I have my mill, Thermapen and pH meter... those were pricey. But the expense of my batches are pretty much grains, hops, yeast and energy these days. I haven't changed my MT since I first built it in 2004. Not one change to it.

I know this was directed at Randy but yes... I do have fridges too.

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

$10 8 gal plastic buckets in a wine fridge given to me as a wedding present from the inlaws. STC controller built by me. I think it cost me $26 in parts. Kegs are in a $30 garage sale avocado fridge. Lines are icemaker tubing with picnic taps. I bought a regulator years ago for $50. Have another one I got in a flea mkt with a tap tower for $25.

I'm cheap man.

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

I tell new brewers about making a mash tun in 5mins with nothing but a toilet braid, zip tie, piece of hose, and a $1 plastic inline valve but other brewers always say it won't last and you need a bulkhead fitting/ball valve etc/yadda/yadda. Mine's been going since 2008 and doesn't leak.

Edited by chils, 08 July 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

#1 is simply because I can.  At first it seemed like a cool idea.  It still does.  And I can make beers you can't buy anywhere.  And yeah I know you can't make it cheaper than you can buy but I do.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

you and me are very similar in this regard

#19 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

I love beer, love making delicious things, love sharing them with others, enjoy the creative outlet, enjoy being outside (I always brew outside) and at worst, it's a cost-neutral hobby and almost certainly saves money (I would buy beer if I didn't make it). 

#20 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

$10 8 gal plastic buckets in a wine fridge given to me as a wedding present from the inlaws. STC controller built by me. I think it cost me $26 in parts. Kegs are in a $30 garage sale avocado fridge. Lines are icemaker tubing with picnic taps. I bought a regulator years ago for $50. Have another one I got in a flea mkt with a tap tower for $25.

I'm cheap man.

WTF is an avocado fridge??

Why I brew - desire for control in everything I do I guess...always liked being able to say "i made that", whether its beer, a loaf of bread, shelves in the garage, clothes, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users