15 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Brewing this today or tomorrow. Just a conglomeration of ideas I put together for a dry, flavorful, hoppy ale for mid summer drinking. Kind of a Saison meets Pale Ale sort of thing. Anyone brew something similar? Feel free to tweak it, bend it, or tell me it will suck.

SRM 5

IBU 30

75% Pils

22% Rye malt

3% Caravienne

Mash @148F

30 min boil

32g Bravo @30

60g Nelson Sauvin in 160F whirlpool

60g Nelson Sauvin dry hop

WY3711 @66F

Edited by neddles, 08 July 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

I like it. I think the Nelson will be great.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

I like it. I think the Nelson will be great.

Thanks. Too much, too little Nelson? Spot on?

I know that yeast is going to dry it out and that Nelson will provide a solid punch that should complement the rye. Hoping to get a some body from the rye and that yeast as well as a bit of rye flavor coming through.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

I'm more of a fan of 3724 but with the late hopping and dry hopping, the Nelson should shine through the most. It looks like it'll be nice hoppy dry crushable summer beer.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

I'm more of a fan of 3724 but with the late hopping and dry hopping, the Nelson should shine through the most. It looks like it'll be nice hoppy dry crushable summer beer.

Thanks for that. If Im looking for complexity and character from the saison yeast then I completely agree. I go back and forth with which one I like better when the hops dominate but I am leaning toward the 3711 for the fruitier stuff.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Looks pretty Summer'y / Saison'y to me. I just got a sack of 3711, first time using it. Hoping it lives up to the love here.

Looking to combine some pale malt and golden naked oats with mandarina Bavaria. All on hand, just waiting to book the date.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

Looks pretty Summer'y / Saison'y to me. I just got a sack of 3711, first time using it. Hoping it lives up to the love here.

Looking to combine some pale malt and golden naked oats with mandarina Bavaria. All on hand, just waiting to book the date.

That sounds like it could be quite good. How much Mandarina are you going to use in that?

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

That sounds like it could be quite good. How much Mandarina are you going to use in that?

I'm inclined to follow the same dose that I used in a Mandarina pale ale; Magnum to FWH and at 60 with an ounce of Mandarina at 10, 5 and 0. Would shoot for 33 IBU or a little higher. This was based on the comment at BSG that "Mandarina is a tangerine machine when late hopped." My pale ale is clearing in secondary right now. Tangerine machine? Didn't really get that. Nice mellow citrus flavor, absolutely.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Sounds good. That hop is still on my list to try.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

httpss://bsgcraftbrewing.com/german-mandarina-bavaria

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

WY3711 @66F

Having never used 3711 but with a bag on deck, 66F seems real low for a Saison'esq yeast. Has it ever stalled on you? How high have you taken it?

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

Having never used 3711 but with a bag on deck, 66F seems real low for a Saison'esq yeast. Has it ever stalled on you? How high have you taken it?

3711 doesn't have a reputation for stalling, in fact the opposite. It will dry the beer out considerably in a normal length ale fermentation. When using this strain I find sugar additions are all about the flavor from the sugar or the removal of malt flavor in the case of white sugar. I say this because IME the yeast will dry the beer out either way. Never had it finish higher than 1.004. It should be noted that I don't think I have used this yeast in a beer any greater than 1.056 or so. Also it was extremely clean in a 1.041 beer I did (Maybe I pitched too much?) I have always started this yeast (and all my saisons actually) around 67-68 and then ramped up into the seventies after a few days. Probably have gone as high as 77F or so with this one with no ill effects but honestly I don't think it is necessary. I have seen several reports of people enjoying this yeast better when started cool. (not seventies or higher). Hope that helps.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

3711 doesn't have a reputation for stalling, in fact the opposite. It will dry the beer out considerably in a normal length ale fermentation. When using this strain I find sugar additions are all about the flavor from the sugar or the removal of malt flavor in the case of white sugar. I say this because IME the yeast will dry the beer out either way.

Thanks for the info.  What I am reading is to increase malt and drop the sugar and still achieve a super dry beer.  I'm thinking about 9 pounds of Pilsner and a pound of golden naked oats 1.048'ish which would still give me ~ 5.7%...............

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info.  What I am reading is to increase malt and drop the sugar and still achieve a super dry beer.  I'm thinking about 9 pounds of Pilsner and a pound of golden naked oats 1.048'ish which would still give me ~ 5.7%...............

At 1.048 and that yeast the white sugar addition would be about the removal of malt flavor if that's what I wanted. Otherwise that yeast will dry it out no problem IME.

ETA: Actually I can't speak for the fermentability of the GNO as they are a oat crystal malt. My guess is that if you mash lower the 3711 will have no problem chewing through it.

Edited by neddles, 12 July 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Man.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life