#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

The good news is the wavy 4500W incoloy can handle it for a short while.  Switched power from the EHLT to the kettle and forgot to wait for the element to be covered.  Thought it was clean but it had enough on it to set off the smoke alarm in the brew area.  I can't believe I've gone over 400 batches with this setup and haven't done it before.  Kind of a PIA since scorched stuff flaked off into the tiny bit of wort in the kettle but I was able to get it out.  Swapped out with the backup element and lost about 20 minutes in the brew day.

I've done it before with the EHLT (once) with a short simple element.  It blew immediately.  A PBW soak is in order for the dry fired element.

Edited by djinkc, 09 July 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Awesome that you didnt fry it.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

I've been thinking about getting a spare element to keep on hand just in case something like this happens. I'm glad things worked out as well as they did for you!

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

I've been thinking about getting a spare element to keep on hand just in case something like this happens. I'm glad things worked out as well as they did for you!

I have a few spares on hand. I figure as long as I have a spare I will not need it.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

I have a few spares on hand. I figure as long as I have a spare I will not need it.

I hope that is true, because I just ordered one! I also have some brewing to do within the next few weeks, so I want to make sure I can brew when I want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users