25 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

Planning on doing 10g of this, drink 5 now and save the other keg till September. 

OG - 1.055 SRM 5.4

65% Pils (15#)

26% Vienna (6#)

4% Munich (1#)

4% Carapils (1#)

28g Magnum @60 - 22IBU

28g Saaz @ 5 - 1.5 IBU

28g Hallertau @5 - 1.5 IBU

pH ~ 5.3

Ca ~ 68

SO4~78

Cl~64

400ml 833 slurry

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:02 PM

looks perfect, though I might use Pils and Munich and leave out the Vienna myself

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

I just did a 50/50 Pils/Munich that included some leftover dark Munich, 1.056 OG and 25 IBU at 60 mins. Used 34/70. Hopefully it turns out well!

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

I just did a 50/50 Pils/Munich that included some leftover dark Munich, 1.056 OG and 25 IBU at 60 mins. Used 34/70. Hopefully it turns out well!

That's what I did too and I have it on tap right now. It really came out nicely with a 50/50 pils/Munich 2 and then I think I used Magnum to bitter but it may have been 1½ ounces of Hallertau. 2352 on the yeast. Simple and delicious. Your version with the 34/70 is going to be great if 34/70 is the dry version of 2124. 2124 has been my go-to for Festbiers.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

Drez, that recipe looks solid.  We'll need you to show your work in pictorial form, once the keg is tapped.  :D

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

looks perfect, though I might use Pils and Munich and leave out the Vienna myself

I know most call for Munich but the Vienna I have is about 6l so I figure it will be OK. I really didn't get a ton of Munich from the beers I had at oktoberfest last year but I may have been tipsy 😀.

Drez, that recipe looks solid. We'll need you to show your work in pictorial form, once the keg is tapped. :D

That I can do!

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Looks like one I would enjoy. Brew that bad boy.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Looks good and delicious to me. Seems like these festbiers fit a niche somewhere between Munich Helles and Maibock, no?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Looks good and delicious to me. Seems like these festbiers fit a niche somewhere between Munich Helles and Maibock, no?

Seems to be in that range.  To me they had a bit more body malt than a helles but not much.  Mic does have me thinking about the all Munich instead of Vienna but I am not sure yet.

Oh and I dug up some inspiration from my trip ...

28043878050_8749166eb9_c.jpg

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

I might lower the late hop additions to 1 oz a piece.  I don't think I typically get much hop flavor on o'fest but then again you were the one that recently went to o'fest so you'd know better than me!

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

I might lower the late hop additions to 1 oz a piece.  I don't think I typically get much hop flavor on o'fest but then again you were the one that recently went to o'fest so you'd know better than me!

Do you mean 1 oz total because i already have 1 oz each at 5.  1 of saaz and 1 of hallertau

I do agree that most did not have a lot of hop flavor but that is why I said "of sorts"  lol.  I am not sure I can make a 10g batch of beer and only have 1 ounce of hops.  I could move them a bit back in the boil though.  I guess I need to try my helles again since I used a bit of hallertau in the wp but I did not remember it to be pronounced.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

Do you mean 1 oz total because i already have 1 oz each at 5.  1 of saaz and 1 of hallertau

I do agree that most did not have a lot of hop flavor but that is why I said "of sorts"  lol.  I am not sure I can make a 10g batch of beer and only have 1 ounce of hops.  I could move them a bit back in the boil though.  I guess I need to try my helles again since I used a bit of hallertau in the wp but I did not remember it to be pronounced.

derp. looked at it quick and read the 1.5 IBU as 1.5 oz.  so you already have it where I'd probably do it.  NM :P

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

derp. looked at it quick and read the 1.5 IBU as 1.5 oz.  so you already have it where I'd probably do it.  NM :P

LOL .. very good I will just carry on!

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

LOL .. very good I will just carry on!

also - I think you are right regarding the amount of munich.  a heavy munich presence isn't common these days.  I think more munich might have been traditional a long time ago but not anymore.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

also - I think you are right regarding the amount of munich.  a heavy munich presence isn't common these days.  I think more munich might have been traditional a long time ago but not anymore.

I'd not use all Munich, I said Pils/Munich, and I'd go no more than 3/1, but since he has 6L Vienna, his malt bill looks great

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:39 AM

I'd not use all Munich, I said Pils/Munich, and I'd go no more than 3/1, but since he has 6L Vienna, his malt bill looks great

Oh I knew what you meant.  I am sticking with the Vienna.  Just got to go with my gut on this one.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

oh yeah - I wouldn't use all munich regardless of what I was going for if we are talking o'fest.  I've made a couple of o'fests that were 1/2 and 1/2 pils and munich and while good they don't seem to have a lot in common with what is more common these days if you go buy an imported o'fest they were still nice beers.  if drez is going for something like what he recently had in germany I think he's on a reasonable track.  I agree with others that vienna might not be common I think it could still yield similar results all the same.

if I was going for ultimate simplicity I think I'd do something like 2/3 pils, 1/3 light munich with a dash of carapils thrown in.  then hop it similar to how drez has it.  but how drez has it will be delicious as well.  it will have a touch more complexity which will probably be nice in an otherwise fairly straight forward beer.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

I know most call for Munich but the Vienna I have is about 6l so I figure it will be OK. I really didn't get a ton of Munich from the beers I had at oktoberfest last year but I may have been tipsy 😀.

It really just depends on what you want to make, an Oktoberfest/Märzen or a "Festbier". Not many breweries are serving Märzen at Oktoberfest, anymore, they are serving something like a high gravity Helles. As was said, somewhere between a Munic Helles and a Maibock. A local pub that carries ~8 German Oktoberfest beers in September, usually has Ayinger, which still makes an Oktoberfest, which is usually the most memorable of the lot.

Edited by Brauer, 15 July 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

It really just depends on what you want to make, an Oktoberfest/Märzen or a "Festbier". Not many breweries are serving Märzen at Oktoberfest, anymore, they are serving something like a high gravity Helles. As was said, somewhere between a Munic Helles and a Maibock. A local pub that carries ~8 German Oktoberfest beers in September, usually has Ayinger, which still makes an Oktoberfest, which is usually the most memorable of the lot.

Oh, I agree. I want a festbier not an Oktoberfest. I want something like I drank in the tents.

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

Oh, I agree. I want a festbier not an Oktoberfest. I want something like I drank in the tents.

This is pretty similar to Gordon Strong's Modern Oktoberfest, which is a Wiesnbier - ie, what they serve in the tents at Oktoberfest. His has less Vienna and less late hops. Personally I like the late hops but if you're really aiming for a Wiesn, you might dial them back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users