porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19000 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

Seems awfully quiet in here.

Going to get started here in a bit on that split batch wheat beer project I mentioned a few weeks ago. Half pale malt, half malted red wheat, a pound of flaked oats (10 gallon batch) and a 60 minute addition of Magnum for 18 IBUs. I'll pull a bit of the wort off separately with 10 minutes to go to add coriander. The wit half of the beer will get WLP400. The other half will be unflavored, get Belle Saison yeast and I'll add some raspberries to primary after a week. It's been pretty warm here, so I should be able to keep the fermentation temps for both at least in the mid-70s.

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Looking at brewing an Oktoberfest on Tuesday.

50/50 pils/Munich, then some wheat and ~0.5 oz of Carafa-3 for a bit of color.  Magnum for bittering, then a mix of Tett/Hallertau for a light late addition; looking at ~30 IBU's total and an OG of ~1.060.

a slurry of 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

I'm looking to have this one ready by late September, so I can celebrate the completion of our kitchen remodel, assuming the remodel takes that long.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

Too Hot.  Was planning to start @ 6AM,  Heat index 95dF, to go to 115

#4 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19000 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

And I realize I sorta brainfarted doing malted wheat instead of flaked wheat. But I have what I have and will go ahead and brew it.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

Fighting the heat and brewing today. Sparging now on a Gose. Odd thing happened when stirring the mash, I found a bay leaf in there. Not sure where it came from. If it came from the grain it would have to have survived the milling process(it was completely intact). I did dump in some rice hulls so I guess it could have come from that container, just odd.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

And I realize I sorta brainfarted doing malted wheat instead of flaked wheat. But I have what I have and will go ahead and brew it.

you could sub in a couple pounds of AP flour

Fighting the heat and brewing today. Sparging now on a Gose. Odd thing happened when stirring the mash, I found a bay leaf in there. Not sure where it came from. If it came from the grain it would have to have survived the milling process(it was completely intact). I did dump in some rice hulls so I guess it could have come from that container, just odd.

wierd, though the flavor might have been
interesting

#7 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19000 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

you could sub in a couple pounds of AP flour

How would that work?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

Plans to brew got trumped by a sick kid. I hope to get everything ready to brew after work Tuesday, 10g of festbier.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

How would that work?

never mind, you'd need to cereal mash it, not worth the effort, you couildbalways use a couple loaves of wheat bread.

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

Our club brew went off with only a few minor problems; kinked tubing inside a 55 gallon mash tun, precariously perched kettle full of 45 gallons of boiling wort and clogged filter and plate chiller. And a severely hung over lead brewer. All in all it went well. We overshot our gravity by 10 points but were short 5 gallons in volume. All 13 carboys had a full head of krausen on Sunday morning and my house smells of hops.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

Plans to brew got trumped by a sick kid. I hope to get everything ready to brew after work Tuesday, 10g of festbier.

ugh.  bummer.

no brewing for me until it's not as damn hot!  good thing I have reserves.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

ugh.  bummer.

no brewing for me until it's not as damn hot!  good thing I have reserves.

Still planning to get this one done this week and a beer inspired by Tree House Green this weekend.  Too hot?  I do not understand as my basement is nice :)

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

Still planning to get this one done this week and a beer inspired by Tree House Green this weekend.  Too hot?  I do not understand as my basement is nice :)

:cussing:

#14 ZYMFUL

ZYMFUL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:18 AM

Hah nice. Maybe floated in if your brewing outside is anything like mine.

I also brewed a Gose again. I'm hoping this one works out. First homebrew Gose I did never soured. Sat on Lacto D for a month. Not a hint of tartness. I did have like 5 IBUs.. I used Lacto Brevis this time with a good starter. I just left the buckets outside all weekend at 90, clearly with some fluctuation at night, but hoping it'll be fine. Hopefully this turns out how I like. Going to pitch Sach-"Brett" Trois instead of this kolsch yeast I think, may divide them. I did some good Goses at the brewery, but unfortunately I was required to add roasted red pepper and cilantro to them. We had some Lacto from a certain distillery that soured real well (one batch of lacto definitely had pedio..). We kettled soured around 105.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

I've been wanting to do a saison and in this month's Zymurgy I found a recipe for Boulevard Tank 7 and decided to use that as a basis. They use Amarillo for all the late addition hops. My first instinct was to switch out all of that for Santiam, which I think is a great variety for saisons. Then I thought about the remnants and partial packs of hops I have and decided this would be a good kitchen sink beer. So the late addition hops were a combination of Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Santiam and Willamette. This kind of violates my usual approach of "don't muddy up the water with too many ingredients" but it's a saison right? Anything goes. Also instead of my normal blow off tube, I just put a piece of foil over the tri-clover for a semi-open ferment. The downside of that is that I have no way other than temperature to monitor how the fermentation is proceeding. Maybe I can put my ear up to the fermenter and hear it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users