17 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

I was at one of my LHBS today and looked through their yeasts and couldn't find 1056. On the top shelf of the fridge was some Omega stuff and "1056" was written on one of the boxes. I asked the guy (who I have actually known for years through different outlets and never knew he worked at this place), "Where's the 1056?" and he pointed me to the Omega West Coast Ale. He said it's the same as 1056 or WLP001. He also said there was no "smackable bubble" in there and that while the yeast is very good, he said he noticed a lag with it starting. Has anyone used it? Did you make a starter with it? I would typically use a fresh Wyeast smack pack straight from the pouch once it expanded... especially in a 5% ale. Here I might feel like I need to start it in a small flask. Thoughts?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

Haven't used it but something to consider WRT pitching direct vs. starter would be the ~150 billon cell count in an Omega packet vs. ~100 billion in Wyeast and WL.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

Haven't used it but something to consider WRT pitching direct vs. starter would be the ~150 billon cell count in an Omega packet vs. ~100 billion in Wyeast and WL.

Mmm, true. I'm not sure if I should just let it warm up, shake it up a bit and pitch it or make a small starter. I may have to check the date on it too and see how old it is.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

Omega is good yeast. I just made a starter from a pack of omega I had in the fridge with a manufacturer date of 11/15 and it took off in about 6 hours.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

Omega is good yeast. I just made a starter from a pack of omega I had in the fridge with a manufacturer date of 11/15 and it took off in about 6 hours.

Good to know. Was it lager or ale? I only ask because I think I would make a starter for it without question if I were making a lager. I have the Bayern Lager yeast in the fridge and now the West Coast Ale. Cheers.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:21 PM

Good to know. Was it lager or ale? I only ask because I think I would make a starter for it without question if I were making a lager. I have the Bayern Lager yeast in the fridge and now the West Coast Ale. Cheers.

Ale, their version of the VT cult yeast Conan.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

Ale, their version of the VT cult yeast Conan.

Uh oh! Drez has got Conan up and running. The man has a plan. 

Actually, let us know what you think of that version of Conan (I understand the yeast lab versions of it have varied a bit in performance?)

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

Uh oh! Drez has got Conan up and running. The man has a plan. 

Actually, let us know what you think of that version of Conan (I understand the yeast lab versions of it have varied a bit in performance?)

I had a plan till I went to visit a brewery last week and talked yeast with the brewer.  New brewery and when I tried the beer off the canning line I was like "whoa"  when he told me the yeast I could not believe it.  He gave me some tips on how he "mishandles" it so I plan to give it a try this weekend on a Galaxy, Citra and Columbus IPA.  Sorry being cryptic but I want to try it for myself to make sure it gives the desired outcome.

As for Conan, yes they all differ to some degree.  Kimmich has been quoted talking about these yeast and how they are nothing like his because they are harvested from the cans and those are the least healthy cells etc.  So my plan with the Conan now is a batch of Waterpark.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:02 AM

I'm behind on all this NE ale yeast. Is this the yeast in Heady Topper or something?

I asked about the Omega yeast because for awhile there I was playing with some new yeast strains that I was told were very neutral, etc. (Pacman, San Diego Superyeast and some others) and I did not care for the beers I made with those yeast strains. Also, as long as we're on the subject... who was it that made a combination American-British ale yeast? Does anyone remember that? Was it a temporary strain or available all the time? I thought it was White Labs but it's been awhile. It was something like WLP001 + WLP002 mixed together.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

I'm behind on all this NE ale yeast. Is this the yeast in Heady Topper or something?

I asked about the Omega yeast because for awhile there I was playing with some new yeast strains that I was told were very neutral, etc. (Pacman, San Diego Superyeast and some others) and I did not care for the beers I made with those yeast strains. Also, as long as we're on the subject... who was it that made a combination American-British ale yeast? Does anyone remember that? Was it a temporary strain or available all the time? I thought it was White Labs but it's been awhile. It was something like WLP001 + WLP002 mixed together.

Yes, the alchemist yeast most notably from Heady Topper.

I used WLP200 once, the 001 & 002 blend and it was meh for me. Give 1318 a try in those beers.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

Yes, the alchemist yeast most notably from Heady Topper.

I used WLP200 once, the 001 & 002 blend and it was meh for me. Give 1318 a try in those beers.

Check. Thanks for the reply. I do use a lot of 1056 and 1028, 1099, 1469, etc. and I thought the WLP200 would be right up my alley. Cheers.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Check. Thanks for the reply. I do use a lot of 1056 and 1028, 1099, 1469, etc. and I thought the WLP200 would be right up my alley. Cheers.

it may be.  I am looking for yeast that puts out certain esters to work with tropical hops.  I like 001/1056/S-05 for certain applications but generally like something these days not so clean.  WLP200 seemed to just be WLP001 that cleared quicker.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

it may be.  I am looking for yeast that puts out certain esters to work with tropical hops.  I like 001/1056/S-05 for certain applications but generally like something these days not so clean.  WLP200 seemed to just be WLP001 that cleared quicker.

:wub:

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

:wub:

sure, I guess bit there are plenty of ways to get 001 clear if that is what you want.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

sure, I guess bit there are plenty of ways to get 001 clear if that is what you want.

Yeah, I was just kidding. I do like 1056 and WLP001 and I generally have no trouble getting them to clear. I remember hearing a little noise about the WLP200 when it first came out and then I heard crickets so I wondered if it was still around and if anyone had tried it. Cheers.

#16 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

I had a plan till I went to visit a brewery last week and talked yeast with the brewer.  New brewery and when I tried the beer off the canning line I was like "whoa"  when he told me the yeast I could not believe it.  He gave me some tips on how he "mishandles" it so I plan to give it a try this weekend on a Galaxy, Citra and Columbus IPA.  Sorry being cryptic but I want to try it for myself to make sure it gives the desired outcome.

As for Conan, yes they all differ to some degree.  Kimmich has been quoted talking about these yeast and how they are nothing like his because they are harvested from the cans and those are the least healthy cells etc.  So my plan with the Conan now is a batch of Waterpark.

curious as to what brewery

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:50 AM

curious as to what brewery

Exhibit A. They are in the old Jack's Abby location. I guess they should be open for customers in early August.

#18 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

Read an article on them a while back, sounds interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users