Photo
- - - - -

Anyone here use a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber? Educate me..

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

Our forthcoming kitchen remodel will kick off in T-2 weeks, and yesterday, I made an executive decision: i want to upgrade my swamp-cooler fermentation setup (I ferment in Ale Pails) to a chest freezer setup.

The plan: while the electrician is here for the kitchen, I will ask him to run an outlet in the basement (where the brewery/fermentation area is) where I want the new CF to go.

I already use a CF as a kegerator, with a Johnson thermostat (the ~$60 dollar one) to keep the CF at serving temps.  I intend to get a ~7 cubic-ft freezer, so i can have 2 Ale Pails going at a time.

Anyone here use a CF as their main fermentation chamber? 

Is it any more complicated in setting up than my serving CF, and just keep the temp at 50°F (or a tad lower) for lagers, and ~60°F for ales?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

that's pretty much it.  it's good to try to get something to keep the humidity down in there as well.  a little silicone caulking in the seams isn't a bad idea either.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

that's pretty much it.  it's good to try to get something to keep the humidity down in there as well.  a little silicone caulking in the seams isn't a bad idea either.

Good points; i will use some Damp-Rid to keep the humidity down, and caulking the seams is a great idea/reminder (thankfully i did that with my serving CF when i first got it 12+ years ago).

Thanks Morty! :frank:

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

Two CFs here for kegs but I don't ferment in them.  AC chamber for that.  All I have is set it up so you don't short cycle a lot.  As you know it will be fairly exothermic for the first few days.  Set the differential for several degrees or have the probe in a thermowell that is in a small container to buffer temp swings.  Mine's in a old White Labs container filled with water and a thermowell JB welded to the lid.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

I have done all of my ferments in a 7 cuft chest freezer for the past 8 years. I have a Ranco controller that I place the temp probe on the outside of the fermentation carboy and then control the temperature of the freezer based on where I want the fermentation temperature to occur. It should work well for you too.  

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

I just grabbed an Ink Bird and it is pretty simple to use.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

Best buy has them on sale for $170 right now
https://www.bestbuy....1&skuId=8390027

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

I stick my temp probe under a towel against the side of the fermenter and push it against the side of my chamber to control ferm temps. Set temp diff to .3degC(Canadian). Doesn't short cycle due to the volume taking awhile to warm up. I do the same in my kegerator with the probe against a full keg and my compressor cycles a lot less with temp diff af 1degF(Friggin Merkin)

#9 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

I tape the probe against fermentor too, not perfect but it gets the job done

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

also stick probe to side of fermentor or keg.  I tape a piece of neoprene insulation over it and then put a bungie on for insurance.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

I just grabbed an Ink Bird and it is pretty simple to use.

I have one of these arriving today. I was going to build another STC-1000 or two. Considering how little time I have had lately I just bit the bullet and figured my time was worth the extra dough to not have to build one. If I like it I'll probably get another.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

I use a 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer for fermentation.  I use an Auber TDS-100 temp controller and a reptile heater bulb.  I also siliconed the joints and use DampRid

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

I use a 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer for fermentation. I use an Auber TDS-100 temp controller and a reptile heater bulb. I also siliconed the joints and use DampRid

Dollar tree sells a generic damp rid knock off if anyone is looking, works good, is only $1.63 a pound @ $1 per 9.85 oz sealed unit, versus $10 for 4 lbs of the name brand.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

Dollar tree sells a generic damp rid knock off if anyone is looking, works good, is only $1.63 a pound @ $1 per 9.85 oz sealed unit, versus $10 for 4 lbs of the name brand.

Thanks for the tip!

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

Do you guys find that dampness/moisture is an issue in a CF used as a keezer too or just when you are fermenting in one?

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Do you guys find that dampness/moisture is an issue in a CF used as a keezer too or just when you are fermenting in one?

issue either way.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

issue either way.

thanks good to know. Damp rid (or generic) takes care of the problem? Also, why do people silicone the joints?

Edited by neddles, 31 July 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

thanks good to know. Damp rid (or generic) takes care of the problem? Also, why do people silicone the joints?

Because no matter what you do, there will be at least a little moisture in there.  Siliconing the joints helps [revent rusting and premature physical failure.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Because no matter what you do, there will be at least a little moisture in there.  Siliconing the joints helps [revent rusting and premature physical failure.

Thanks, looks like I have a use for the extra silicone I have laying around!

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

particularly in the summer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users