#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

I like it more than I thought I would because it's less of a PITA than I expected.  But there's really no comparison between it and either of the Picobrew systems.

Grainfather can.  But I don't find the small batches on the Picobrew products to be a limitation because it's so easy to brew more batches.

the issue I see is that packaging in kegs is well suited to 5 gal increments.  there is also still the same prep that is required for any brewing system.  measuring the grains, hops, treating water, etc.  for me 5 gal is kind of a bare minimum for my efforts.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Denny has talked about how the zymatic can do 5g.  I guess you can brew a strong wort and dilute it down or do a double batch.  One thing to keep in mind is that to do 5g in any decent time you should really be at 240v.  I just looked the Grainfather up and see they have a 8g capacity model but it is 120v.  I know I like the price on the Grainfather better but I do not believe it is as hands off as the other two.

There are also on the Picobrew FB group who use more water and get bigger batches.  The Grainfather takes a lot more attention and does not have the ease of repeatability of the Picobrew products.  Also, unless you buy the 240V version it's pretty slow.  The Grainfather and Picobrew stuff are very different and there's really no way to compare them.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

AWESOME!

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

kind of.  you still have to lift the screen out.  it's just set up to be a little more convenient.  also has built in temp control.

And a pump.  It's more like a HERMS than anything.

the issue I see is that packaging in kegs is well suited to 5 gal increments.  there is also still the same prep that is required for any brewing system.  measuring the grains, hops, treating water, etc.  for me 5 gal is kind of a bare minimum for my efforts.

I've never had any issue putting a 2.5 gal. batch in a 5 gal. keg.  I also have a couple 3 gal. kegs.  For the Pico, it comes with 1.75 gal. kegs.

The Z takes much less prep time than a 5 gal. batch on my cooler.  Not sure why, but that's the way it works.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

There are also on the Picobrew FB group who use more water and get bigger batches.  The Grainfather takes a lot more attention and does not have the ease of repeatability of the Picobrew products.  Also, unless you buy the 240V version it's pretty slow.  The Grainfather and Picobrew stuff are very different and there's really no way to compare them.

I agree with you 100% on 120v vs 240v... no question there.  I also agree they are in much different categories and seem to aim at 2 different groups.

AWESOME!

And I just ordered that thing so we will see in a few weeks how it all works.  I really do not want 5g of IIPA but 2-2.5 g finished would be OK.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:49 AM

I've never had any issue putting a 2.5 gal. batch in a 5 gal. keg.  I also have a couple 3 gal. kegs.  For the Pico, it comes with 1.75 gal. kegs.

The Z takes much less prep time than a 5 gal. batch on my cooler.  Not sure why, but that's the way it works.

the issue I have is it's the same amount of work to clean and prep that keg but I'm only getting half the beer!  you've just doubled the packaging work per pint.

I can't see how prep takes less time unless you have a lot of equipment to get out and ready for your normal batches.  my stuff is pretty much always sitting there and ready to go.  the self cleaning on the Z seems really nice though :cheers:

Edited by Evil_Morty, 05 October 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#27 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

I'd actually be ok with the 2.5 gallons now.  My wife doesn't drink beer, so its just me and maybe when we have someone over.  If I was cranking out 2.5 gallon batches on a pico system, I'd be brewing more frequently, which would be more fun.  As it is... it's tough to justify a brew when I've got a couple of 5 gallon kegs on tap.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

And I just ordered that thing so we will see in a few weeks how it all works.  I really do not want 5g of IIPA but 2-2.5 g finished would be OK.

Drew has one that he's played with a fair bit.  Shoot him an email if you have questions.

#29 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

Just wanted to give this one a bump.  

Now I'd say I'm considering looking at the Grainfather a little closer.

One of the things I was just thinking about was that it would make a large capacity sous vide system!  :-)

I think one of my issues is getting it to a 240 hookup.  I'm assuming I still have to do this in the garage, and fortunately the laundry shares a wall with the garage... and the utility sink is in the laundry, which means that using a CFC may still be an option, even in the winter.

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

Just wanted to give this one a bump.  

Now I'd say I'm considering looking at the Grainfather a little closer.

One of the things I was just thinking about was that it would make a large capacity sous vide system!  :-)

I think one of my issues is getting it to a 240 hookup.  I'm assuming I still have to do this in the garage, and fortunately the laundry shares a wall with the garage... and the utility sink is in the laundry, which means that using a CFC may still be an option, even in the winter.

I know more than a few people who bought a Grainfather specifically to use it indoors.  My house isn't set up well enough to do that, but if yours is, no problem.  It does create more steam than a Zymatic.  But on 120 it just barely boils, so 240 is a good idea.  They're sending me a jacket for mine, which helps hold in the heat and get a bit better boil.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

I know more than a few people who bought a Grainfather specifically to use it indoors.  My house isn't set up well enough to do that, but if yours is, no problem.  It does create more steam than a Zymatic.  But on 120 it just barely boils, so 240 is a good idea.  They're sending me a jacket for mine, which helps hold in the heat and get a bit better boil.

I really think when you are going to a full 5g size you really need 240v.  Anything can be done at 120v though it will just take longer.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

I really think when you are going to a full 5g size you really need 240v.  Anything can be done at 120v though it will just take longer.

I've used the Grainfather for 5.5 gal. batches using 120V and it worked fine, just took a long time to get mash water and boil heating.  I made the same beer both on the Grainfather and my cooler/burner system and it was amazingly close.  Only real differences were slightly lower efficiency on Grainfather and 5 oz. of flameout pellets totally clogged the pump on it.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

I've used the Grainfather for 5.5 gal. batches using 120V and it worked fine, just took a long time to get mash water and boil heating.  I made the same beer both on the Grainfather and my cooler/burner system and it was amazingly close.  Only real differences were slightly lower efficiency on Grainfather and 5 oz. of flameout pellets totally clogged the pump on it.

If I were looking for a system like this that would be a deal breaker.

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

If I were looking for a system like this that would be a deal breaker.

I couldn't even get the all the wort out.  Supposedly you can bag, whirlpool, or use whole hops to alleviate it.

#35 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

5 OZ at flameout???  How much was already in there?

I know it will take longer at 120, but I'm starting to see where I could do it in the house.  Plus, I could brew 5 gallon batches in the winter, which is a huge thing for me.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

5 OZ at flameout??? How much was already in there?

I know it will take longer at 120, but I'm starting to see where I could do it in the house. Plus, I could brew 5 gallon batches in the winter, which is a huge thing for me.

I know right... Just 5oz! Why such a small addition!

I've used the Grainfather for 5.5 gal. batches using 120V and it worked fine, just took a long time to get mash water and boil heating. I made the same beer both on the Grainfather and my cooler/burner system and it was amazingly close. Only real differences were slightly lower efficiency on Grainfather and 5 oz. of flameout pellets totally clogged the pump on it.

I am sure it works but 240 makes my brewday shorter. :)

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

5 OZ at flameout???  How much was already in there?

I know it will take longer at 120, but I'm starting to see where I could do it in the house.  Plus, I could brew 5 gallon batches in the winter, which is a huge thing for me.

Maybe an oz. or 2 before that.  If you do it in the house it should speed things up a bit.  My garage is pretty cold.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

I have an excel spreadsheet that allows you to calculate how long it will take to boil and raise to a certain temperature where you can add in the wattage of the heat source.  It makes it helpful to get an idea oh what different wattages can do.  If anyone wants it PM me a e-mail.

#39 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

Just pulled the trigger and purchased a Grainfather!  I was concerned about where to heat up the sparge water when I realized my wife, god love, her had a hair brained idea years ago to get one of those large electric perc coffee makers... I think it holds 2.5 gallons, which would go a long way to help the process given that I have a new temp controller..  The rest can just be heated on the stove.  

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

Just pulled the trigger and purchased a Grainfather!  I was concerned about where to heat up the sparge water when I realized my wife, god love, her had a hair brained idea years ago to get one of those large electric perc coffee makers... I think it holds 2.5 gallons, which would go a long way to help the process given that I have a new temp controller..  The rest can just be heated on the stove.  

it is 120v?

And ... Congratulations... now get to brewing

Edited by drez77, 25 October 2016 - 09:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users