#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Second-year Cascade; only let 2 bines grow this year, but considering how well this year's crop turned out, i'll look to let 4+ grow next year.

Collected this:

DSC01183.jpg?t=1471026997

and a side view:

DSC01184.jpg?t=1471026998

Final tally: 13.5 oz dried, from a second-year plant.  I'll take it.  :)

About halfway through picking, the lupulin was making my fingers start to stick together.  First world problems, I know.  That said, these Cascades smelled incredible; resiny, Cascade-y, and even a tad bit spicy.

A pic of the final product, vacuum-sealed and ready for the freezer:

DSC01185.jpg

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Yum.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

After dealing with 25+ lb. for several years from a single plant, I gave it up.  Just wasn't worth it to me when I can buy a year's worth of Cascade for $8.  As long as you enjoy it, go for it!

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

After dealing with 25+ lb. for several years from a single plant, I gave it up. Just wasn't worth it to me when I can buy a year's worth of Cascade for $8. As long as you enjoy it, go for it!

Mine are shade for a 6x6 west facing picture window, the actual cones are a bonus

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

After dealing with 25+ lb. for several years from a single plant, I gave it up.  Just wasn't worth it to me when I can buy a year's worth of Cascade for $8.  As long as you enjoy it, go for it!

Either you don't use much Cascade or you have a killer connection.

I killed ours a few years ago.  It just wasn't worth it and they really weren't very good either.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

I look at it as an extension of my brewing; i use Cascade a lot, and being able to supplement store-bought hops with homegrown is pretty cool, IMHO.

I'm trying to get more into gardening in general, and with any luck, my Magnum and Centennial plants (both first years) will do better next year.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

I look at it as an extension of my brewing; i use Cascade a lot, and being able to supplement store-bought hops with homegrown is pretty cool, IMHO.

I'm trying to get more into gardening in general, and with any luck, my Magnum and Centennial plants (both first years) will do better next year.

those 3 are a fine combo. I've got Willy Sterling and Glacier

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

Thanks, Mic.  I tried to pick hop varieties that I tend to use the most, so I figure at worst, I'm supplementing what I already use.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Agree, I dont grow hops but I grow a lot of other stuff. There's so much more to enjoy from growing you own stuff than saving a few bucks.

#10 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10729 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

I picked about a pound of Centennial and Columbus just to get the harvest started. Odd the cones looked ready to pick and I have them drying on a screen in my garage, but there is hardly any aroma. Last year it smelled like I was living inside an IPA. Maybe I picked too early so I'll give them another 2 weeks before picking the rest of the crop.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

Either you don't use much Cascade or you have a killer connection.

I killed ours a few years ago.  It just wasn't worth it and they really weren't very good either.

Cascade is going for about $8/lb. last time I looked.

Agree, I dont grow hops but I grow a lot of other stuff. There's so much more to enjoy from growing you own stuff than saving a few bucks.

Totally agree and we grow a lot of other stuff...heck, I even have my "magic garden"!  But the hops just got top be more hassle than they were worth to me.  I looked at it as a chore that had to be done, rather than something I looked forward to.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

I looked at it as a chore that had to be done, rather than something I looked forward to.

Yeah, when it becomes a chore you know you're done with it.

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, when it becomes a chore you know you're done with it.

Agree with you and Denny; anything hobby-related should be fun/emjoyable, and if it's something you dread vs. look forward to, something's wrong.

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

$13 a pound,https://www.hopsdire...ascade-pellets/

Harvested 8 pounds wet; that's about 10 gal volume in three hours with two people.

Added to the mash, the aroma is unmatched and stays for years, sorry we disagree Denny.

But it does kill the mash efficiency...

bummer

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

Frank, it's OK...I don't mind of you're wrong!  ;)  But what you did is a different test than I did.  Glad to hear it worked for you.

And I have a great connection for local, organic Cascade that's a lot cheaper than that.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10729 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

I picked about a pound of Centennial and Columbus just to get the harvest started. Odd the cones looked ready to pick and I have them drying on a screen in my garage, but there is hardly any aroma. Last year it smelled like I was living inside an IPA. Maybe I picked too early so I'll give them another 2 weeks before picking the rest of the crop.

I picked more of the rest of the hops yesterday and today. I was wrong about the aroma, I just didn't pick enough earlier. About 5 hours work this weekend and I got 2 - 6 gallon Home Depot buckets full and they are drying in the garage and smelling great. Now I need to start looking for freezer space.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

I picked more of the rest of the hops yesterday and today. I was wrong about the aroma, I just didn't pick enough earlier. About 5 hours work this weekend and I got 2 - 6 gallon Home Depot buckets full and they are drying in the garage and smelling great. Now I need to start looking for freezer space.

you vacuum seal them right?  I find they don't take up much room once compressed.

#18 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

If you're game, some pictures of your work would be nice.  Just sayin'.  :D

#19 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10729 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

If you're game, some pictures of your work would be nice.  Just sayin'.  :D

https://s1020.photob...eHoppy/library/

I hope this link works I haven't posted a picture from photobucket in a while and I kept getting a message that the file extension of the images was not allowed.

Edited by MakeMeHoppy, 28 August 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#20 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

Link worked for me, and the hops look excellent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users