5 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

Never used it. Does this stuff lend any kind of unique flavor of it's own or is it simply raw wheat pre-gelatinized by another method?

Edited by neddles, 16 August 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

I only ever use it in English styles. I have a book full of recipes for bitters, browns, EPAs, ESBs, etc. and almost every recipe includes torrified wheat so I keep some on hand at all times. It's supposed to add body and help with head formation and stability. It's unmalted so it needs some outside diastatic power but you already knew that. Could you use regular wheat? Probably. Could you tell if I gave you two glasses of ESB... one with TW and one without? Probably not. I typically use about 4 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. The grist percentage is so low that I can't imagine any flavor contribution. Even at 10% I can't see it adding much in the way of flavor but I could be wrong.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

I'm really looking to compare it with flaked wheat. Flaked can be had locally at the HFS and tastes like pretty much nothing in the quantities I use it. But if torrified offers some other flavor or… something, then maybe it is worth seeking out.

Edited by neddles, 16 August 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

I have used flaked wheat but I use more torrified wheat. Flaked can cause some haziness although that's easy to fix. I'm going to go ahead and say it... you need to make two batches of bitter (or whatever) and use some percentage of flaked wheat in one and the same percentage of torrified in the other and report your findings. I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference. Cheers my friend.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

I have used flaked wheat but I use more torrified wheat. Flaked can cause some haziness although that's easy to fix. I'm going to go ahead and say it... you need to make two batches of bitter (or whatever) and use some percentage of flaked wheat in one and the same percentage of torrified in the other and report your findings. I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference. Cheers my friend.

Flaked will throw some haze for sure but why wouldn't terrified?

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

Flaked will throw some haze for sure but why wouldn't terrified?

I'm not sure. Torrified wheat looks a lot like regular wheat kernels. They always seem slightly smaller to me but you can tell it's wheat when you look at it. Flaked products always look like some kind of breakfast cereal and I always thought that whatever process that flattens the kernels was responsible for the haze. There is no technical merit to what I just said but I remember someone talking about the starchy content of flaked ingredients. I put torrified wheat into the mill and mash like any other grain and it looks very much like standard wheat and I do not get any additional haze with it. My English ales always seem to come out very clear.

Ps. I like how spell-check wants to call it terrified wheat. Like someone came up behind it and scared the bejesus out of it. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users