#1 humdum

humdum

Comptroller of Chili and Other Fine Bean-Free Foods

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9038 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Hi, I'm new here. Been a long time lurker but just worked up enough nerve to post this question. I saw a commercial for Heineken just now claiming only 3 natural ingredients. A friend told me he brews his own beer and uses water, malt, hops, and yeast. I'm a math teacher and I worked it out (twice), showed my work and circled my answer and I calculated 4 ingredients. I'll walk you through my calculation:

1 water
1 malt
1 yeast
+1 hops
________

Is this a metric conversion issue since Heineken is from Holland, which is in Europe, and they use the metric system. It's basically witchcraft if you ask me but math is math.

9A7B5105-1A9C-4CD9-8665-DC717F5EA95B_zps

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hop extract

ETA: Oh, and welcome abord!

Edited by neddles, 19 August 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:28 AM

"I told you we should build a wall"

#4 humdum

humdum

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9038 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:45 AM

Hop extract

ETA: Oh, and welcome abord!

So they're excluding the hop extract since its processed?

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

So they're excluding the hop extract since its processed?

My best guess. 

I don't even know if heineken uses hop extract but it would surprise me if they did

Edited by neddles, 20 August 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#6 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

I was thinking the same.  They're not saying it's "all natural".  They're saying they used 3 natural ingredients, which is a half-truth.  :)

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hop extract is a natural ingredient.  Why wouldn't it be?  It's made from hops.  I think they're thinking R'gebot and leaving out the yeast.  Or maybe the water.

#8 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

Perhaps their well is haunted, so the water is supernatural.

Or maybe the hops are harvested from another dimention, so they are preternatural.

Probably, water isn't required on food ingredient lists, so the ad copywriters didn't know that beer contained water.

#9 humdum

humdum

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9038 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

Perhaps their well is haunted, so the water is supernatural.

Or maybe the hops are harvested from another dimention, so they are preternatural.

Probably, water isn't required on food ingredient lists, so the ad copywriters didn't know that beer contained water.

Wait, you're telling me there's water in beer?!? All this time I just figured it was beer in beer. Maybe it's just Heineken that adds water.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

It could be that they consider water, malt and hops to be the three and not yeast since they filter it out. It's clearly an important ingredient but if it's no longer in the beer, maybe they choose to discount it.

Oh, and I agree... welcome aboard stranger. I hope you enjoy your stay. Please don't forget to check out our extra-informative Sasquatch sub-forum. :D

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Heineken explains it here.

https://www.theheine.../brands/brewing

They  list the only three ingredients used and then discuss four.  I hate the metric system sometimes.  B)

HEINEKEN beer is made from the purest ingredients. We use only water, malted barley, and hops.

Barley

Barley is the major raw material used in brewing beer. Before it can be used for brewing, the barley grain must be malted. Malting helps make the starch and protein (by its natural enzymes) in barley available for brewing by breaking down the natural cell wall that surrounds the starch. Starch will be converted to sugar, which will produce alcohol during fermentation. Malting also forms the colour and flavour that the barley will lend to the beer.

Hops

Hops is one of the flavour-makers of beer, and also contributes to its shelf life. The resin from the female hop flower cones is used to help balance the sweetness of the barley with a refreshing bitterness.

Water

Beer contains almost 95% water. Water plays an important part in giving beer its characteristic flavour, as different sources contribute to unique beer flavours. Clean, high quality water is essential not only to our beer, but also to life everywhere. We are actively working in the communities that we're a part of to protect clean water supplies.

Yeast

Yeast converts malt sugars into alcohol during fermentation. There are two types: bottom and top fermenting yeast. Beers fermented with bottom yeast are called lagers and those that use top-fermenting yeast are called ales. In 1886 in Amsterdam, Dr.Elion, a student of Dr. Louis Pasteur, discovered the famous HEINEKEN A-yeast, a strain that is still used today only by HEINEKEN.

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

I can see the point of not considering yeast as an ingredient. It's an organism that does a job then they filter it out and/or kill it.

#13 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

Ah, that makes sense.  They do filter it out.  The yeast is more like a machine or equipment, not an ingredient, or it is like a "catalyst" that must be present for fermentation to occur, but is later "denatured" as part of the process and no longer an essential ingredient in the end product.  Interesting.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

Ah, that makes sense.  They do filter it out.  The yeast is more like a machine or equipment, not an ingredient, or it is like a "catalyst" that must be present for fermentation to occur, but is later "denatured" as part of the process and no longer an essential ingredient in the end product.  Interesting.

I think it's more R'gebot related.  The R'gebot did not originally recognize yeast as an ingredient since it wasn't known then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users