67 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:12 AM

did you just recap them after putting some hops in?

https://www.bertusbr...-bud-light.html

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

that sounds kind of fun.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

Yeah I just recapped and waited a few days. Worked very well.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:04 AM

Yeah I just recapped and waited a few days. Worked very well.

were you able to just carefully pour off leaving the hop sediment behind?

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53975 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

I guess I was thinking that any flavor or aroma hop that you "normally enjoy" would work nicely. I should state for the record that this blonde ale is not "ruined"... it's drinkable but it might actually improve when the dry hop character fades a little bit. If and when I dry hop again... I will be very careful about the variety I select.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

I guess I was thinking that any flavor or aroma hop that you "normally enjoy" would work nicely. I should state for the record that this blonde ale is not "ruined"... it's drinkable but it might actually improve when the dry hop character fades a little bit. If and when I dry hop again... I will be very careful about the variety I select.

I know it goes against this thread but have you thought about dryhopping it again with a different variety?

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53975 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

I know it goes against this thread but have you thought about dryhopping it again with a different variety?

I actually did but I thought that the Saphir would still be in there somewhere and that the new dry hops wouldn't have as good of a chance to improve the beer. I'm just going to suck it up (quite literally) and choose more wisely next time. Thanks Drez.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

I actually did but I thought that the Saphir would still be in there somewhere and that the new dry hops wouldn't have as good of a chance to improve the beer. I'm just going to suck it up (quite literally) and choose more wisely next time. Thanks Drez.

maybe a bit of age won't just make the dry hop fade but also change it.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

were you able to just carefully pour off leaving the hop sediment behind?

yeah the hops fell when i chilled the bottles. Then, since I was tasting all 6 bottles at one sitting I was only having maybe 2-4 ounces from each bottle.

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

It's a little grassy. But I didn't realize it was a poor hop choice for DHing. I guess I know now. What's the criteria? If it works well as a flavor or aroma hop then it's okay for a dry hop? I would think Saphir would be a good flavor or aroma hop. It's certainly not a bittering hop... AA% is too low.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about in terms of hops. At noon today a keg of APA finished carbing and I just moved it to a draft fridge. Centennial to bitter and late additions of Cascade. I only had a couple of sips of it to make sure it was good. The bitterness and late hoppiness is really nice. I think this was only 2 or 3 ounces of late Cascade and this is my idea of a really nice APA. Had I gone with 4 or 5 ounces, I know it wouldn't be like dry hopping but the late hops would be even more robust. So I guess I'm saying that I'm not one of those brewers who say I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH HOP CHARACTER!!! :D I know there are those people out there and my condolences go out. As far as the Saphir... live and learn I suppose.

EDIT: This APA was actually 26 IBUs of Nugget for 60, an ounce of Centenntial (8.5%) for 10 and then two ounces of Cascade (7.4%)... one at 5 and one at 2. Supposedly 49 IBUs according to the software.

Ken, the criteria is "do you like it?".  The only way to know is to taste a beer made that way, whether yours or someone else's.

yeah the hops fell when i chilled the bottles. Then, since I was tasting all 6 bottles at one sitting I was only having maybe 2-4 ounces from each bottle.

BOOM!  Off on a tangent, this is exactly why I tell people not to bother weighting their dry hop bags!  Once the hops get cold, they'll sink on their own.

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

Ken, the criteria is "do you like it?".  The only way to know is to taste a beer made that way, whether yours or someone else's.

BOOM!  Off on a tangent, this is exactly why I tell people not to bother weighting their dry hop bags!  Once the hops get cold, they'll sink on their own.

indeed

#32 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

I had a blonde ale in a keg and when I sampled it, it was one of those where the hops just seemed to be missing. Magnum to bitter and then an ounce of Spalt and an dounce of Santiam in the last 10 minutes. No late-hop anything. So I took the keg out of the fridge and let it get to room temp and then added two ounces of Saphir for 7 days, took the hop bag out and put it back into the fridge. Sampled it yesterday after it sat for about a week and the hop character from the Saphir is not great. It's sort of vegetal and it's just not right. These hops were in a vacuum-sealed, O2-purged foil pouch from Farmhouse. I know that adding late boil hops is not the same as dry hopping but I think I'll just stick with adding a bunch of late hops and screw the dry-hopping from now on. I don't know if these Saphir hops would have a different character if they had been thrown into the whirlpool or what but this Russian roulette game I'm playing with dry hop character is not for me.

Exactly. I gave up dry hopping even my IpA in favor of late hops back when CJ was pushing hopbursting. Im sensitive to the grassy phenols you describe and have ruined many a beer dry hopping. Funny thing is I know lots of my favorite IpA is dry hopped and I don't get the phenols from them. I've tried many different variations of dry hopping with no success. My go to method is lots of late, whirlpool and hop rocket. 

#33 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

Exactly. I gave up dry hopping even my IpA in favor of late hops back when CJ was pushing hopbursting. Im sensitive to the grassy phenols you describe and have ruined many a beer dry hopping. Funny thing is I know lots of my favorite IpA is dry hopped and I don't get the phenols from them. I've tried many different variations of dry hopping with no success. My go to method is lots of late, whirlpool and hop rocket. 

What kind of phenols did you get?

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

I am glad I am not sensitive to that! 

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53975 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have used Saphir in other beers and I like its character. I have never used it as a dry hop so that begs the question... does some amount of character "burn off" when it's thrown into the boil which may disperse the grassy, vegetal character I'm getting when I used the hops for DHing? Denny, I hear you... use what you like. That's what I did but again I don't dry hop a lot and I have never used Saphir for dry-hopping. It would be cool to know that a hop is a favorable dry hop candidate or a dud without having to potentially sacrifice a batch of beer in the process. Maybe we should start a pinned thread with a list of hops that have worked well and those that haven't. Although... personal taste will cause an issue. I know Drez does not like Amarillo as a dry hop and I do.

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

I have used Saphir in other beers and I like its character. I have never used it as a dry hop so that begs the question... does some amount of character "burn off" when it's thrown into the boil which may disperse the grassy, vegetal character I'm getting when I used the hops for DHing? Denny, I hear you... use what you like. That's what I did but again I don't dry hop a lot and I have never used Saphir for dry-hopping. It would be cool to know that a hop is a favorable dry hop candidate or a dud without having to potentially sacrifice a batch of beer in the process. Maybe we should start a pinned thread with a list of hops that have worked well and those that haven't. Although... personal taste will cause an issue. I know Drez does not like Amarillo as a dry hop and I do.

Does some of the "character" "burn off" in the boil? Sure...remember you extract different oils in different proportions when you dry hop as opposed to using the hop in the kettle.  You did pretty much what needs to be done...you tried a hop to see if you liked it as a dry hop.  I've done it many times...sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.  A list would be interesting, but how do you know if you like all the same things others do?  I certainly don't!  Lots of people LOVE to dry hop with Citra, for instance, and I find it makes the beer undrinkable for me.  I bet if you took that Citra dry hopped beer and tossed in a bunch of Cascade, or something like that, it would cover up the Saphir.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

I know Drez does not like Amarillo as a dry hop...

Does not compute...

*flounces*

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

I don't think I could achieve the desired level of hop aroma any other way.  you have my sympathies!

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

I know Drez does not like Amarillo as a dry hop and I do.

Whoa!! Slow down .... I like Amarillo just fine in the DH.  As a matter of fact have a beer on tap with it now.  My issue was I had some bad Amarillo that gave a very grassy off flavor.  It was well documented and I just happened to have some.

Does not compute...

*flounces*

C'mon back buddy .. things will be OK!!

#40 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

C'mon back buddy .. things will be OK!!

Phew. I almost hit the floor.