3 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

Anyone use these?  I for 4oz of each while moving things around in the hop freezer and looking to use them up.  My thought right now is a simple wheat beer with these used 1:1 in the WP and dryhop but I am looking for other options. 

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

I bought Summer at the same time I bought a few other "new to me" hops. Most of those hops were very nice while others I did not care for. At some point I shifted my attention back to hops I could count on and I still have the 3 or 4 ounces of Summer in a HopUnion bag in the freezer... never used them. On one hand I like to experiment and keep up with the new hops and on the other hand I hate wasting 4-5 hours brewing beer that I don't like because the new hop variety I chose tastes like pineapple, sealcoating, mango and vomit. :D I think Mosaic was in there too and I was one of the people who got "cat pee" out of and then I bought Summit and you guys scared me saying that it was heavy "onion and garlic". What? A pound of Belma was in that run of "new" hops too. <_<

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

I have used neither so take the following with a grain of salt. I have read several reviews from people who have used both and a common theme is these hops not delivering the expected flavors or strength of flavor. But I have gotten the sense that the reviewers have been expecting big punchy American hop delivery and it seems that is simply not the presentation with some of these imported hops. With that being the case I think your approach of going really light on the base beer is a good one. 

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

I have used neither so take the following with a grain of salt. I have read several reviews from people who have used both and a common theme is these hops not delivering the expected flavors or strength of flavor. But I have gotten the sense that the reviewers have been expecting big punchy American hop delivery and it seems that is simply not the presentation with some of these imported hops. With that being the case I think your approach of going really light on the base beer is a good one. 

I read that too and that is why I thought a wheat would be a good place for them.  Something I am not expecting a huge hop bomb out if but enough to make it interesting.

I bought Summer at the same time I bought a few other "new to me" hops. Most of those hops were very nice while others I did not care for. At some point I shifted my attention back to hops I could count on and I still have the 3 or 4 ounces of Summer in a HopUnion bag in the freezer... never used them. On one hand I like to experiment and keep up with the new hops and on the other hand I hate wasting 4-5 hours brewing beer that I don't like because the new hop variety I chose tastes like pineapple, sealcoating, mango and vomit. :D I think Mosaic was in there too and I was one of the people who got "cat pee" out of and then I bought Summit and you guys scared me saying that it was heavy "onion and garlic". What? A pound of Belma was in that run of "new" hops too. <_<

I am glad I never bought in on the cheap belma!  I looked back and these were bought in 2015 at some sale so they were like $1/oz or something like that.  I do like to try new hops but for some reason these just have not made it into anything... yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users