36 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

So, who is brewing this weekend?  I hope to fire up the brew kettle on Sunday for a DPA, Drez Pale Ale.  It is not an APA and not and IPA its a DPA!

Plan to go real simple on this one.

92% - Two Row

8%  - Munich

20 IBU @ 30

3oz of Galaxy and 1oz of Citra in the Whirlpool and Dry Hop with the same.

SO4 - 160

Cl - 90

pH - 5.36

Yeast is up in the air .. I have 1318,1450,Conan and a few others kicking around.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

I brewed the German Pale Ale yesterday and I have a starter of 830 spinning now (getting active) and plan to brew tomorrow. I had a red lager in mind and I still plan to brew it but last night I had a vision:

8 lbs Weyermann Barke Pils
12 ounces Best Malz Vienna
8 ounces CaraRuby (apparently a sub for CaraVienne)
4 ounces CaraFoam
1.5 ounces Hallertau 3.1% for 60
1 ounce Hallertau 3.1% for 30
1 ounce Hallertau 3.1% for 1
White Labs 830 German Lager yeast

OG: 1.054, FG: 1.012, IBU: 30, SRM: 7, ABV: 5.2%

So a kind of light-amber German Lager.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

I brewed the German Pale Ale yesterday and I have a starter of 830 spinning now (getting active) and plan to brew tomorrow. I had a red lager in mind and I still plan to brew it but last night I had a vision:

4 ounces CaraFoam

Let me know what you think of the CaraRuby. I have used it a couple of times in IPA in recent months and to me it seems a good deal sweeter than the MFB Caravienne that I am used to. Could be just me though.

No brewing for me this weekend as I'll be taking my only 2 kegs of beer to a remote location in the UP. I expect to return home with kegs that are empty or near empty.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

Let me know what you think of the CaraRuby. I have used it a couple of times in IPA in recent months and to me it seems a good deal sweeter than the MFB Caravienne that I am used to. Could be just me though.

No brewing for me this weekend as I'll be taking my only 2 kegs of beer to a remote location in the UP. I expect to return home with kegs that are empty or near empty.

I called this LHBS yesterday and asked her if she would package up 15 lbs of GP, 15 lbs of wheat and 2 lbs of caravienne. I walked in and she pointed to a box with 3 bags in it and on the top bag she wrote "2 LBS CARARUBY" and I said, "Oh, that's not mine" and she told me CaraRuby "is the new name of CaraVienne" which I didn't agree with it. She told me it's a 20L grain and a perfect sub for caravienne. If it's not, I won't be happy because I've been using CaraVienne quite a bit lately and I'm familiar with what to expect from it.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

I called this LHBS yesterday and asked her if she would package up 15 lbs of GP, 15 lbs of wheat and 2 lbs of caravienne. I walked in and she pointed to a box with 3 bags in it and on the top bag she wrote "2 LBS CARARUBY" and I said, "Oh, that's not mine" and she told me CaraRuby "is the new name of CaraVienne" which I didn't agree with it. She told me it's a 20L grain and a perfect sub for caravienne. If it's not, I won't be happy because I've been using CaraVienne quite a bit lately and I'm familiar with what to expect from it.

I use a lot of caravienne and really like it.  Glad I still have 15#'s of it in the basement.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

CaraRuby is Castle Malting's ~20L caramel/crystal. They used to call it caravienne or caravienna but there are at least 2 other maltsters that use that name for a similar colored caramel/crystal. Franco-Belges and Dingemans. Since there are differences in similar colored crystals from different maltsers it won't necessarily be a perfect sub. Anyways I was just noting the difference I noticed between the Franco-Belges which I have used many times and the CaraRuby which I have now used twice and in beers very similar to the ones in which I used the Franco-Belges. 

ETA: Can I get you some Styrian Gold to go with your CaraRuby Mr. Lenard?  :lol:

Edited by neddles, 26 August 2016 - 08:25 AM.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

ETA: Can I get you some Styrian Gold to go with your CaraRuby Mr. Lenard?  :lol:

:lol:

Exactly. Now you have me wringing my hands over using this stuff. I could always use some CaraMunich that I have (and know well) but I have to use this CaraRuby at some point anyway so might as well get on it tomorrow.

The BSG site shows this...

Château Cara Ruby™ malt imparts a rich caramel-sweet aroma and a toffee-like flavor, adding light amber to reddish color to beer. A distinguishing characteristic of all caramel malts is glassiness. This glassy endosperm creates the desirable non-fermentable components that give true caramel malt the ability to contribute mouthfeel, head retention, and extended beer stability.

Suitable in brown Ales, Brune des Flandres, Bocks, and Scottish Ales. Up to 20% of the mix.

It also shows a color rating of 17-21L which seems similar to CaraVienne. In my batch, it makes up 5.3% of the grist (8 ounces in 9.5 lbs of malt). Do you think that the character of it is such that I should lower that to maybe 5-6 ounces instead? I really don't want an overabundance of caramel-like character in this beer.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

I think the description is pretty accurate.  I was simply reporting what I found when substituting it for the ~20L Caravienne from Franco-Belges. I say use it as you normally would then report back what you find, if you notice any difference. Which I am sure will be completely objective now that I have planted the evil seed of sweetness! Har har har!!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

I think the description is pretty accurate.  I was simply reporting what I found when substituting it for the ~20L Caravienne from Franco-Belges. I say use it as you normally would then report back what you find, if you notice any difference. Which I am sure will be completely objective now that I have planted the evil seed of sweetness! Har har har!!

Okay, I'll just go full-steam ahead. I have been using between 5 and 7 ounces in five gallons lately and the reason I went to 8 ounces here is because I couldn't get the SRM to go any higher than 5 for some reason. I think that this grist (pils, Vienna, carafoam plus a half-pound of cararuby) should bring the SRM higher than 5, right? So not only do you plant the seed but I would be using slightly more of this stuff than usual. This calls for a post on AHA too! :D

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

I brewed a 5 gallon test batch with a friend, Indian Lime Pickle IPA  :blush:  :blink:  :o  :wacko:  :crazy:  :frantic:  :ph34r:

We'll see how it comes out in a few weeks. :D

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

I brewed a 5 gallon test batch with a friend, Indian Lime Pickle IPA  :blush:  :blink:  :o  :wacko:  :crazy:  :frantic:  :ph34r:

We'll see how it comes out in a few weeks. :D

I am not sure I want that recipe :)

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

No brewing here; painting our now demo'd kitchen.  Walls, ceiling, and 2 faux beams in the adjoining family room.

Will be drinking involved, but post-toil.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

No brewing till next weekend. Got an oktoberfest in the fermenter.gonna do a kolsch and an altbier next weekend.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Okay, I'll just go full-steam ahead. I have been using between 5 and 7 ounces in five gallons lately and the reason I went to 8 ounces here is because I couldn't get the SRM to go any higher than 5 for some reason. I think that this grist (pils, Vienna, carafoam plus a half-pound of cararuby) should bring the SRM higher than 5, right? So not only do you plant the seed but I would be using slightly more of this stuff than usual. This calls for a post on AHA too! :D

If I really wanted to plant a seed and send you into tailspin I would bring up the anecdotal reports that LODO and Brewtan B seem to be emphasizing the contributions of caramel/crystal malts. But of course I wouldn't do that.  :frantic:

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

It smelled pretty good at the end of the boil. It was inspired by eating Indian Lime pickles and drinking IPA.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Oh and I also need to keg 10g of Festbier.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

If I really wanted to plant a seed and send you into tailspin I would bring up the anecdotal reports that LODO and Brewtan B seem to be emphasizing the contributions of caramel/crystal malts. But of course I wouldn't do that.  :frantic:

Okay, now it's on you fargin' bastage!!   :cussing:

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:46 AM

Okay, now it's on you fargin' bastage!!   :cussing:

Moo ha ha ha!!!

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

4 ounces CaraFoam

Oh, I'm not going to find out about CaraRuby this weekend. I was rooting around in my storage containers and found a bag of CaraVienne that was in with some other bags (Special B, CaraMunich) so I'm using CaraVienne for this. Water is filtered. Grains are measured. WOOT! Cheers Beerheads.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

Just starting the boil on a festbier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users