#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

This weekend I'll be serving some beer from corny kegs outside at a party.  I've never done this before so if anyone has tips I'm all ears.  Here are the deets:

Event will be outside.  High of 82F that day.

1) The host has a plastic bin he can fill with ice/water.  I'm guessing it will go about 2/3 of the way up the corny keg but he's getting the exact dimensions for me.

2) I have picnic taps.  probably about 4' in length.

3) I'll be bringing either my 5lb or 20lb CO2 tank to occasionally charge up the head space.  Unfortunately I'm not sure how to tell how much is left in either of them.  The 20lb is very likely good to go but that's kind of a PITA to bring but I might do it anyway.  If someone has a way to help me figure about how much I've got in my 5lb tank I am all ears!

4) The beers will probably be transported the morning of the event and then can sit for a few hours before anyone arrives.  I'd bring them sooner but there is not fridge available to keep them overnight.

So if I'm missing some obvious stuff or if there are pitfalls please let me know.  I'm used to serving out of the comfort of my own home.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:49 AM

I would just use the 5# tanks.  I see no need for the 20# and I normally just use a 20oz paintball tanks for 2-3 kegs.  I think as long as the bottom half is in ice/water you should be good.  let them settle and you should be good to go.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:50 AM

I would just use the 5# tanks.  I see no need for the 20# and I normally just use a 20oz paintball tanks for 2-3 kegs.  I think as long as the bottom half is in ice/water you should be good.  let them settle and you should be good to go.

I WANT to use the 5# tank.  it's just a matter of knowing how much is in there.  since I only use the 5# for serving at this point I actually don't know the last time I filled it up or how much is in it.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

Agh, I missed that part.  yes, running out of CO2 in the middle would suck!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

it seems like maybe the tank should have a tare weight on it and then I could measure how many pounds of CO2 I have.

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

Depending on how secure the location is, you could bring the kegs the night before and place them in tubs of ice where they will be served the next day.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

it seems like maybe the tank should have a tare weight on it and then I could measure how many pounds of CO2 I have.

7.7#'s??

httpss://www.kegworks.com/5-lb-aluminum-co2-air-tank

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

Depending on how secure the location is, you could bring the kegs the night before and place them in tubs of ice where they will be served the next day.

the location is secure as long as the host can keep from drinking the beer.

looks to be pretty similar to my 5lb tank.  i'm guessing there isn't much variation.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

the location is secure as long as the host can keep from drinking the beer.

Ha! Don't bring the taps until event day :)

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

Ha! Don't bring the taps until event day :)

good plan!

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

The only thing I would add is bring something like an old quilt to cover the keg it is will be in the direct sun. I did this once for an event and the picnic taps were actually easy to work with and better than a regular faucet. It shouldn't take much co2 to dispense a keg as long as it's already carbed. Will others be there that you can get a hit of co2 from if needed?

Good luck!

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

The only thing I would add is bring something like an old quilt to cover the keg it is will be in the direct sun. I did this once for an event and the picnic taps were actually easy to work with and better than a regular faucet. It shouldn't take much co2 to dispense a keg as long as it's already carbed. Will others be there that you can get a hit of co2 from if needed?

Good luck!

I'm not sure on the exact location of the kegs but there will be tents.  I'll bring a towel or something just in case though.

I'll be the only homebrew there so if the tank runs out we are SOL!

#13 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

I had another thought that may/may not be worth it. If you are worried about cloudy beer rack your current keg to a new one to minimize the yeast that is available to get stirred up in transport.   If it is a little cloudy just tell people it's a north east style or whatever been you are bringing :)

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

I had another thought that may/may not be worth it. If you are worried about cloudy beer rack your current keg to a new one to minimize the yeast that is available to get stirred up in transport.   If it is a little cloudy just tell people it's a north east style or whatever been you are bringing :)

I was planning on the latter :lol:

two of the beers are hoppy.  the other is pretty dark so no one would notice anyway.

#15 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

If you plan on doing this more an Igloo Ice cube is the good size to keep a keg cool. I have two with circle holes cut in the lid. Keep four two liter bottles with frozen water that fit in four corners. Lasted 4 days on a camping trip 90+ and the bottles were still cold. I think I only added a bag of ice once.  Its also good for holding and chilling a carboy for mock lagers.

Any cooler even a short rectangle tends to do a decent job but keep it covered. I wouldn't worry too much about the bin as long as it covers half and you cover it with a blanket. The dip tube draws from the bottom.

Keep the cobra tap line covered or down in the cooler/bin (or learn to snipe immediately after others take a beer). 

I've found beer re settles pretty quickly if well conditioned. I wouldn't worry about dropping off the day before. Pull off a pint or two before you leave to get most of the stuff off the bottom before you move it.

similar thing I found an image of:

keg_cooler-1.jpg

Edited by macbrak, 29 August 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

I just returned from a weekend away at a somewhat primitive cabin in the UP (meaning no fridge or freezer) The kegs were kept outside for 3 days in a tall 50 gal garbage can that we filled with ice and then wrapped in a blanket. It worked quite well actually. We only needed to add one more bag of ice during that time. With picnic taps I would second the recommendation to keep them cold somehow (inside the garbage can in our case) or like macbrak said, fill your pint right after someone else does.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:41 AM

I just returned from a weekend away at a somewhat primitive cabin in the UP (meaning no fridge or freezer) The kegs were kept outside for 3 days in a tall 50 gal garbage can that we filled with ice and then wrapped in a blanket. It worked quite well actually. We only needed to add one more bag of ice during that time. With picnic taps I would second the recommendation to keep them cold somehow (inside the garbage can in our case) or like macbrak said, fill your pint right after someone else does.

this is a good sized party.  I think they'll be something like 50 beer drinkers there so I'm hoping the pints are flowing pretty quickly.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

this is a good sized party.  I think they'll be something like 50 beer drinkers there so I'm hoping the pints are flowing pretty quickly.

Whoa! How much beer are you bringing? Will there be more beer than yours? That's a lot of people to keep happy.

Also, if your kegs are in ice and the ice is turning to water you have to be careful as the kegs get below the water level because they begin to float. Which means they will tip sideways and disturb and sediment you have on the bottom of the keg. Just something to watch for depending on your exact set-up/situation.

Edited by neddles, 30 August 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

Whoa! How much beer are you bringing? Will there be more beer than yours? That's a lot of people to keep happy.

Also, if your kegs are in ice and the ice is turning to water you have to be careful as the kegs get below the water level because they begin to float. Which means they will tip sideways and disturb and sediment you have on the bottom of the keg. Just something to watch for depending on your exact set-up/situation.

Good point, Morty - pack some bungee cords and strap those kegs down!

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

I always have bungees in my trunk b/c you never know!

this beer is in addition to other beer so I'm planning on kicking the kegs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users