35 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

I have never brewed a pilsner of any kind. Not looking to be a strict adherent to style here but something reasonably close to German Pils. The hops seem to be the most appropriate of what I have on hand. Apparently Russian River makes a pils called STS Pils that features Aramis. Anyone had it? Anyhow, I want to give this hop a try. Here is a description from Morebeer.

The hop Aramis hop is the result of a 2002 cross-breed of the French Strisselspault hop and English Whitbread Golding Variety hop. This fragrant hybrid has a minimal bitterness and heavy aroma, making it suitable for all stages of hopping. Aramis hops’ versatility also lends itself well to multiple styles of beer including Pilsners, Lagers, Belgian style Saisons, and even Wheats. Expect both sweet and spicy notes with a hint of bright citrus. We’ve also read descriptions of this hop as earthy, hay, herbal. When we smelled it at the last Craft Brewers Conference we agree with the earthy, tea like aroma.  Alpha acid range is mild at 6% to 8.3%. If you are looking for Aramis you probably dont need a substitute but you could look at Strisselspault.

So I need you guys to chop this up. I know CWG likes his smash lagers and this is obviously in that vein. Easy drinking and characterful is the goal. Also any problem with a 30 min boil here? What about the water? What am I missing? Will be using Brewtan B FWIW.

1.048-1.050

IBU 35

SRM 3

10# Floor Malted Pils

Mash at 148F/50, 160F/15min.

30 min boil

28g Aramis @30

30g Aramis @15

30g Aramis @5

W-34/70

Water shoot for pH of 5.3 in the mash. Though I would shoot for something around Cl-30ppm, 50-SO4 and Ca≤50ppm

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Looks pretty solid to me.  I've never used Aramis, so I can't comment on that, but the grain bill and water profile look good.

I don't do 30-min boils, either, but if you've used them with success in the past, I see no reason not to use one for this recipe.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

So my Pils has some carapils or (carahell)and acid ( for pH).  My water is in the same area you are.  My SO4 was a bit lower at 38 but I decided to up it for the next batch.  I believe Jever Boiled is a good profile to start with.  As for the 30 minute boil I say there will be no issues.  I have done many beers with the majority of malt begin pils with no issues.  My helles is a 30 minute beer and there are not issues with it.

Looks pretty solid to me.  I've never used Aramis, so I can't comment on that, but the grain bill and water profile look good.

I don't do 30-min boils, either, but if you've used them with success in the past, I see no reason not to use one for this recipe.

You should :)

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

As for the 30 minute boil I say there will be no issues.  I have done many beers with the majority of malt begin pils with no issues.  My helles is a 30 minute beer and there are not issues with it.

You should :)

Yeah I am loving the 30 min boils so far. Been using plenty of pils malt in them without an issue at all. 

So my Pils has some carapils or (carahell)and acid ( for pH).  My water is in the same area you are.  My SO4 was a bit lower at 38 but I decided to up it for the next batch.  I believe Jever Boiled is a good profile to start with.  

I did peek at your thread, especially since I enjoyed that beer. :D I'll acidify with lactic or phosphoric. I have both on hand but how necessary do you think the carapils/foam or carahell are?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yeah I am loving the 30 min boils so far. Been using plenty of pils malt in them without an issue at all. 

I did peek at your thread, especially since I enjoyed that beer. :D I'll acidify with lactic or phosphoric. I have both on hand but how necessary do you think the carapils/foam or carahell are?

I think you could go with out the carpills/hell.  It was only half a pound so not that much.  I think all base malt will be fine.

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Looks like a tasty beer as is. I would only add additional malts if you think you need them; ie: poor head retention, lacking body, wanting sweetness. Floor malted Pils will make a damn tasty beer all on its own.

I have my first 34/70 beer going now, a festbier. I like the convenience of dry lager yeast but I'm really starting to miss wyeast 2308

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Looks like a tasty beer as is. I would only add additional malts if you think you need them; ie: poor head retention, lacking body, wanting sweetness. Floor malted Pils will make a damn tasty beer all on its own.

I have my first 34/70 beer going now, a festbier. I like the convenience of dry lager yeast but I'm really starting to miss wyeast 2308

Thanks for the feedback. I have a pack of 2308 that's going to be split into 2 starters. One for a Helles with 10# of Barke that I have coming to me and the other is for that 2308/Floor malt/hallertau blanc beer you raved about.

#8 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I have a pack of 2308 that's going to be split into 2 starters. One for a Helles with 10# of Barke that I have coming to me and the other is for that 2308/Floor malt/hallertau blanc beer you raved about.

Damn, I love that beer. I need to get another batch going. The last batch was good but different, not my favorite. I used s-189.

#9 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

After many scattered minutes thinking about this....... I would drink it as-is.  Enjoy.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

Neddles, I'll be looking for your Aramis input once you're drinking this batch. I have a sack and while I have used it with other hops in the past, I cannot comment on it.

I have a designed a Saison that I'll be making in the next 3 or 4 batches that will showcase 3711, pale malt, golden oats and all Aramis. Your input will be very helpful during final approach.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Neddles, I'll be looking for your Aramis input once you're drinking this batch. I have a sack and while I have used it with other hops in the past, I cannot comment on it.

I have a designed a Saison that I'll be making in the next 3 or 4 batches that will showcase 3711, pale malt, golden oats and all Aramis. Your input will be very helpful during final approach.

Sure thing. 

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Made this last night. Kept it at 9.5# of grain and 1.048. Went really smooth. I silenced my inner Denny and tried malt conditioning for the first time too (at 8ml/# FWIW) That was both easy and had a clear impact on husk integrity and draining of the wort from the mash. I BIAB so draining is usually about 5 minutes of draining from the bag and a little squeeze to get up to volume. Last night it was about 2 minutes of draining, no squeeze and I was at volume.

The Aramis hops smelled extremely fresh and were an insanely bright color of green. Even my 8 year old commented that they were the greenest hops he had seen, lol. Anyways, these hops were so green that they turned to boil an almost fake looking green color that never faded to drab green during the boil. I was afraid my wort was going to be green. It wasn't until settling/clearing after the whirlpool that the greenness went away. Never seen that before. They smelled very very good in the boil. Lots of floral and spice. Tasting the finished cooled wort I got some floral and tea from the hops. 

A few family mishaps and my brew day was running late. Accordingly, 2 packets of this 34/70 were sprinkled directly into 52F wort and I went to bed.

Edited by neddles, 04 September 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

It's going to be terrible. You should bottle it all and send it to us for disposal.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

It's going to be terrible. You should bottle it all and send it to us for disposal.

:scratch:

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

I made a very similar beer earlier this year, lower gravity and using magnum/saaz, but otherwise quite similar, the shorter boil seems to make a paler beer than I',m used to with 60-75 minute boils on similar lagers

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

I made a very similar beer earlier this year, lower gravity and using magnum/saaz, but otherwise quite similar, the shorter boil seems to make a paler beer than I',m used to with 60-75 minute boils on similar lagers

…and you enjoyed this beer? Magnum still clean at 30?

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

…and you enjoyed this beer? Magnum still clean at 30?

yes, a little more bland than I anticipated, but highly quaffable, I had 3 Imp Pints in a row of it on tuesday  with no ill affect

the flavor is very very clean, I used super soft water with just enough gypsum and CaCl to give me 35 ppm Ca and a balanced profile

your higher starting gravity will easily overcome my one complaint of it being a little too dry

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

yes, a little more bland than I anticipated, but highly quaffable, I had 3 Imp Pints in a row of it on tuesday  with no ill affect

the flavor is very very clean, I used super soft water with just enough gypsum and CaCl to give me 35 ppm Ca and a balanced profile

your higher starting gravity will easily overcome my one complaint of it being a little too dry

Thats some good info, thanks.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

This beer dried out to 1.008. The Aramis smelled amazing during the fermentation. Pretty mild in flavor though in the gravity sample. Clearing nicely and tasting super clean It's headed for the keg and some cold time.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Picture forthcoming but I poured a glass of this last night and it is clear and ready for primetime at 22 days. Aramis is a very nice hop. I get lots of sweet floral flavors up front but with a little more citrus and fruit in the background than I was expecting. Not punchy or catty at all. Not really spicy either and no herbal or tea like flavors as I saw in some descriptions. Anyone looking for a something new or different for a hop don't hesitate to give Aramis a go. It's really nice. Could easily see it in a saison, even (if not especially) as a dry hop. The beer came out really nice in terms of the malt/hop balance. Nice body for being 100% base malt and 1.048 and there is plenty of flavor from the floor malt to hold it all up. One complaint I have is that I feel like it should be more bitter, but that can be fixed next time. Calculated IBU on the final recipe was 36. The bitterness is very clean and smooth but it tastes more like ~25IBU to me. So all in all maybe more like a easy drinking hoppy blond lager than a true pilsner, but I am very happy with the outcome here on this dead simple recipe. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users