#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

I haven't made a coffee beer in probably 10 years (at least to my recollection). I want to say the last time I used dark roast coarsely ground and cold steeped.

I'm sure I wasn't super scientific about it lol

Does anyone have any tips as far as varieties, roasts, and techniques?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

dry bean it with a nice espresso.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

Whole bean? I feel like whole bean in a sack when the beer is crashed is clean and easy. Maybe it requires more coffee, but it's so easy...

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Whole bean? I feel like whole bean in a sack when the beer is crashed is clean and easy. Maybe it requires more coffee, but it's so easy...

Yup I like to whole dry bean too, predictable results and easy. My next coffee Porter I plan to add some in the whirlpool too.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

I have dry beaned in the keg as well. I used coarsely ground and less than an ounce (24g, IIRC) and got a very nice coffee character from it. Anyone heard of a downside to grinding as opposed to whole bean?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Anyone heard of a downside to grinding as opposed to whole bean?

More work!

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

More work!

Dammit Drez!

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

I'm guessing either way works just fine.  I think the alcohol does a really good job of pulling flavor out of the beans though so it doesn't matter too much either way.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Yup I like to whole dry bean too, predictable results and easy. My next coffee Porter I plan to add some in the whirlpool too.

The whirlpool addition has me a little worried about what kind of flavors would get brought out from the heat and potential bio transformation

#10 ZYMFUL

ZYMFUL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

We did an Ethiopian Coffee Brown Ale, didn't want much bitter/acridness (that coffee is milder), but we added some to whirlpool and some cold steeped liquid coffee to the brite tank. Turned out awesome. I'm pretty sure we did lightly ground in a bag for whirlpool. I've added beans at flameout at home with great success. From my reading and experience, I think you can do coffee any way and it will be fine, except you know, boiling it for 60 minutes.

Edited by ZYMFUL, 07 September 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

did you remove O2 before adding liquid coffee to your beer post-fermentation?

#12 ZYMFUL

ZYMFUL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

It wasn't the best way to do it, but it's how I was told to do it in this particular scenario.. After I sanitized the brite tank I opened the manway, dumped the liquid coffee in, closed it, then began the transfer (fills from bottom), so it got mixed in real good. After transfer, I hooked CO2 to the carb stone and let it carb up.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

I haven't made a coffee beer in probably 10 years (at least to my recollection). I want to say the last time I used dark roast coarsely ground and cold steeped.

I'm sure I wasn't super scientific about it lol

Does anyone have any tips as far as varieties, roasts, and techniques?

I dry bean with about 5 oz. coarsely cracked in secondary.  That adds a lot of aroma and a little flavor.  Then at packaging I add brewed coffee to taste.

Oakshire makes a GABF award winning espresso stout.  They use cold brewed espresso added to the brite tank.

Edited by denny, 07 September 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

I dry bean with about 5 oz. coarsely cracked in secondary.  That adds a lot of aroma and a little flavor.  Then at packaging I add brewed coffee to taste.

Oakshire makes a GABF award winning espresso stout.  They use cold brewed espresso added to the brite tank.

Wow, that must be coffee forward.  I dry bean with about 1-2oz of uncrushed and I got a nice amount of coffee from that. 

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

Wow, that must be coffee forward.  I dry bean with about 1-2oz of uncrushed and I got a nice amount of coffee from that. 

I agree although if he didn't let it steep for too long it might be okay.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

Not really since I only add brewed coffee til I get the taste I want.  But it may be more coffee forward than your.  Oakshire uses 50 gal. of cold brewed espresso in an 80 barrel (about 2500 gal.) brite tank.  We modified a hopback to be a cold brew coffee maker.

#17 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

just had this beer at a beerfest in VT, it was outstanding and was my wife's favorite beer of the entire festival

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

Not really since I only add brewed coffee til I get the taste I want.  But it may be more coffee forward than your.  Oakshire uses 50 gal. of cold brewed espresso in an 80 barrel (about 2500 gal.) brite tank.  We modified a hopback to be a cold brew coffee maker.

how long do you leave it on the coffee?

The type and roast of coffee will also play a role here too, I am not sure what I used for mine off the top of my head.

I also wonder how long it takes to make 50g of cold pressed espresso, that is a lot of espresso!! ETA - just re-read and saw the hopback part, that makes more sense.

Edited by drez77, 07 September 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

just had this beer at a beerfest in VT, it was outstanding and was my wife's favorite beer of the entire festival

I generaly don't care for coffee beers, but that one is SO well balanced!

how long do you leave it on the coffee?

The type and roast of coffee will also play a role here too, I am not sure what I used for mine off the top of my head.

I also wonder how long it takes to make 50g of cold pressed espresso, that is a lot of espresso!! ETA - just re-read and saw the hopback part, that makes more sense.

Maybe 3-4 days.  IIRC, they make it overnight at Oakshire..

Another thing I found was that I had to cut back the bittering hops to compensate for the bitterness of the coffee.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

Another thing I found was that I had to cut back the bittering hops to compensate for the bitterness of the coffee.

Not sure why that never crossed my mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users