#21 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:17 AM

No need to dilute bleach in hot water. That said, I do rinse with 120°F tap water. I guess I consider 120°F to be warm water, not hot. Hell, I know people who live where the air gets to 120°F, so, technically, it would just be room temperature for them... I am always careful about sudden temperature changes with carboys, though, and I might be more cautious if I had my hot water tank set higher than 120°F. Bringing a carboy in from the snow and pouring hot tap water in it could easily be enough to crack one.

I probably should get rid of the glass, but, like Mic said, I already own them and they've lasted a long time. I'll probably need something lighter, eventually.

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, no quick temperature swing is SOP with glass here.

Here's a question… if I hit this thing with the 1:10 bleach solution is there a way to neutralize the bleach before sending it to my septic system? Campden? Not sure I want to send that much bleach into my septic system.

#23 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

Here's a question… if I hit this thing with the 1:10 bleach solution is there a way to neutralize the bleach before sending it to my septic system? Campden? Not sure I want to send that much bleach into my septic system.

I wouldn't think the bleach would be a problem, once it is diluted in hundreds of gallons and reacts with all that organic matter, but I haven't lived on a septic system for a long time. You could reduce the load by using less total volume and shaking it around every few minutes, or using it more dilute and waiting longer. I'll try to see if I can find a chart of concentrations and residence times.

I might save the Campden for a final rinse to remove the trace bleach from the carboy.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

I wouldn't think the bleach would be a problem, once it is diluted in hundreds of gallons and reacts with all that organic matter, but I haven't lived on a septic system for a long time. You could reduce the load by using less total volume and shaking it around every few minutes, or using it more dilute and waiting longer. I'll try to see if I can find a chart of concentrations and residence times.

I might save the Campden for a final rinse to remove the trace bleach from the carboy.

That would be great, thank you.

#25 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:10 AM

it looks like hydrogen peroxide apparently neutralizes bleach (a volume of 3% peroxide 4/5 the volume of concentrated bleach). The reaction doesn't seem that violent, but it might foam over and produces some heat. It results in oxygen, salt and water. I would do it outside, in case there is a little chlorine gas and to reduce the fire risk of the oxygen released. Don't bung the carboy, because there will be some pressure.

I didn't find a good breakdown on times and concentrations, but most everything is gone in a minute or two with 10%. So, if I was worried about a septic system, I might make 2 quarts of 1:10, swirl it around all the surfaces for a few minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes, maybe shake it again, then dilute it to 1:100, to 5 gallons, and let it sit for an hour. Even the 1:100 will be pretty thorough. That way, you would only put 6.4 ounces of bleach down the drain.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:54 AM

it looks like hydrogen peroxide apparently neutralizes bleach (a volume of 3% peroxide 4/5 the volume of concentrated bleach). The reaction doesn't seem that violent, but it might foam over and produces some heat. It results in oxygen, salt and water. I would do it outside, in case there is a little chlorine gas and to reduce the fire risk of the oxygen released. Don't bung the carboy, because there will be some pressure.

I didn't find a good breakdown on times and concentrations, but most everything is gone in a minute or two with 10%. So, if I was worried about a septic system, I might make 2 quarts of 1:10, swirl it around all the surfaces for a few minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes, maybe shake it again, then dilute it to 1:100, to 5 gallons, and let it sit for an hour. Even the 1:100 will be pretty thorough. That way, you would only put 6.4 ounces of bleach down the drain.

Thank you for your help. I did some googling to look for concentration/times too and didn't come up with much that was definitive. I think I'll do it just as you described. 6.4 oz sounds pretty tolerable. I do have some campden tabs, so after a thorough rinse I'll fill back up and add some campden and let it sit a bit to neutralize whatever could be left in there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users