#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

My club throws a big Oktoberfest party/fundraiser, it's this Saturday. We sell over 200 tickets plus members and pro brewers who donate beer are welcome to attend. This year we'll have over 40 commercial beers and 30 home brewed beverages. We also roast a pig, and cook a mess of sausages and chickens. 

Here's a video someone made of last year's Oktoberfest: 

httpss://vimeo.com/139917388

Anyone else's clubs throw these sorts of events?

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

sorry for the double post, I can't even blame it on mobile skin. It's my wonky work mouse.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

looks like a good time.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

It's a shite load of work for members but a really fun time for everyone else :D

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

It's a shite load of work for members but a really fun time for everyone else :D

I bet.  that's a lot of serving equipment and food stuff to set up.

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

We've been investing and building our draft set up for years. It used to be all picnic taps and running around with a co2 tank to keep stuff pouring. Now we have 64 faucets, 8 manifolds and 4 regulators. We should be close to complete with the last equipment buy.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

That looks like a really good time CWG. How do you guys manage to get commercial brewers to donate 40 kegs? And who are the commercial breweries represented? Did you make any beer for the event/what beer? Where do you guys hold the event? Is it sold out?

Sorry about all the questions!

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

That looks like a really good time CWG. How do you guys manage to get commercial brewers to donate 40 kegs? And who are the commercial breweries represented? Did you make any beer for the event/what beer? Where do you guys hold the event? Is it sold out?

Actually this answers most of my questions.. Including LIME PICKLE IPA!

https://m.bpt.me/event/2582414

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Looks awesome and like a ton of work but I bet it's satisfying. I'm noticing that "Oktoberfests" are everywhere now... every little town and village across the world seems to have one. We were travelling last week and went through Frankfurt, Germany there and back and there was an "Oktoberfest" in the Frankfurt airport complete with an Oompah band. A spirited attempt but it's an airport! :P

#10 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

CWG that looks like fun! I miss Oktoberfest in München... my wife and I were there last year at this time.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

We get donations by cultivating relationships with the brewers and owners. We also get a bunch through distributors. We are a licensed non profit, so that helps. One member got a ton of donations just by asking. The breweries are happy for the exposure. Also we ask for sixtel. Full kegs are too much to manage.

The beer list is crazy this year, three Floyd's, founders, great lakes, pipework, Haymarket, metropolitan...

I made a festbier, a smoked poblano cream ale and co brew indian lime pickle IPA. Also my Hefe-Weizen was brewed at Mad Mouse brewing and they are donating a sixtel.

We have it at a vfw hall which is awesome.they have a walled off outdoor space and a nice sized hall.

There are about 20 tickets remaining.

Looks awesome and like a ton of work but I bet it's satisfying. I'm noticing that "Oktoberfests" are everywhere now... every little town and village across the world seems to have one. We were travelling last week and went through Frankfurt, Germany there and back and there was an "Oktoberfest" in the Frankfurt airport complete with an Oompah band. A spirited attempt but it's an airport! :P

This year seems like a lot of local breweries are having Oktoberfest parties.

CWG that looks like fun! I miss Oktoberfest in München... my wife and I were there last year at this time.

It's our must do list but I haven't been. Super cool that you went.

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Actually this answers most of my questions.. Including LIME PICKLE IPA!

https://m.bpt.me/event/2582414

Funny, I didn't realize some beers were listed there.

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

It's a ton of work for members. I'm club president and the lead Meister for this year's Oktoberfest.

We have a club only party the next week to empty all the kegs and grill up some sausage. Members can bring growlers or cornies and take home whatever commercial beer they want.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

That is pretty damn cool. Has to be a crap ton of work for you though.

I'm trying to convince my brother and a buddy to go to it. Sounds like he might have too much going on though and too far to travel.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

Lots of work but it funds our club for the year.

$40 all you can eat and drink plus a sweet souvenir glass. Cool if you attend! I bet it's a hike from you. PM me if you attend, it'd be cool to meet irl

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

Lots of work but it funds our club for the year.

$40 all you can eat and drink plus a sweet souvenir glass. Cool if you attend! I bet it's a hike from you. PM me if you attend, it'd be cool to meet irl

No chance of me getting down there unfortunately. Would love to come to an event like this. Maybe next year. Hopefully my brother will end up going. 

OTOH, didn't you judge at FoBAB last year? Same brother bought for 4 tickets and I am trying to find a way to get down there for it. May end up having to go to a professional conference though. We will see.

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

Judging emails are supposed to go out soon, I think I'm still on the list. I need to make sure I still have a vacation day for it. Nice on snagging tickets. Don't they sell put within minutes?

#18 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

Judging emails are supposed to go out soon, I think I'm still on the list. I need to make sure I still have a vacation day for it. Nice on snagging tickets. Don't they sell put within minutes?

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

Don't they sell out within minutes?

You could only buy 4 at a time. He bought 4 and went to buy more and they were sold out. So yeah, that sounds right.

#20 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

My club (UNYHA) does the exact same thing, but we generally draw between 50 and a hundred people. It is also only $5 because the club subsidizes the rest. There is a mini homebrew comp and a chili cook off, which usually has like 20-30 entries!
It's in a park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users