#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

Fellas, I'm working up a BDSA with 1214 Chimay. I know... 1762 is what I should be using but I have the 1214. I want all the Belgian'y goodness attributed to this strain but I want to steer clear of tart fruit notes. I seemed to have gotten that with 3787 on a past BDSA that spent the first 7-10 days at 65. I don't mind too much banana. Love the clove and alcohol. Don't want tartness. Thoughts? Chides? Guffaws?

Thanks, Mike

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Keep it well below 63F...probably around 60.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

Anything in particular to taste for by going this route? What might I expect?

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

Anything in particular to taste for by going this route? What might I expect?

running it higher will get you a lot of banana and especially bubble gum

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

running it higher will get you a lot of banana and especially bubble gum

This is what I got the one time I was silly enough to use it. I had a beautiful recipe all lined up and took a flier on the 1214 based on someone else's suggestion. This was many, many years ago and I went with it. What I made was one big gumball machine. I couldn't believe how bad it was (my opinion, clearly... not into Belgians at all) and it ended up down the drain.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

This is what I got the one time I was silly enough to use it. I had a beautiful recipe all lined up and took a flier on the 1214 based on someone else's suggestion. This was many, many years ago and I went with it. What I made was one big gumball machine. I couldn't believe how bad it was (my opinion, clearly... not into Belgians at all) and it ended up down the drain.

Ken, it was good you let that out :) Let the healing begin LOL

Yes, I don't want the bubble gum. I don't even chew gum.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Ken, it was good you let that out :) Let the healing begin LOL

Yes, I don't want the bubble gum. I don't even chew gum.

I'm not sure what characteristics people like to get from the 1214 but I know that it's known for bubble gum and I get bubble gum from commercial beers made with this yeast... so I thought people used it for that reason. If you fermented around 60° as Denny suggested, I assume that all of the various traits would be subdued but I have no idea how the beer would come out. There are so many Belgian strains that it's overwhelming to me... which of the Belgian characters will you get?... barnyard, horse blanket, overly-complex, vomit-like, bubble gum, spicy and phenolic... Oh wait, did I mention that I don't like Belgians? :lol:

#8 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

I haven't used Wyeast 1214, but I do use WLP500 a lot (should be same strain) and I've learned over the years to start the yeast at 62 and hold 48 hours, then creep to 65, then 70's.  No tart, no banana.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure what characteristics people like to get from the 1214 but I know that it's known for bubble gum and I get bubble gum from commercial beers made with this yeast... so I thought people used it for that reason. If you fermented around 60° as Denny suggested, I assume that all of the various traits would be subdued but I have no idea how the beer would come out. There are so many Belgian strains that it's overwhelming to me... which of the Belgian characters will you get?... barnyard, horse blanket, overly-complex, vomit-like, bubble gum, spicy and phenolic... Oh wait, did I mention that I don't like Belgians? :lol:

The funny thing is that if you culture the yeast from a bottle of Chimay, these characters are significantly diminished. 

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Your continued references to not liking Belgian yeasts remain as subtle as getting hit with a sledge hammer. Well done. Carry on.

The funny thing is that if you culture the yeast from a bottle of Chimay, these characters are significantly diminished.

For why Master?

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Ken, try WY1388 for a Belgian yeast.  I bet it's one you;d like.  VERY restrained esters and phenols

Mike, if I was guessing (which I am), I'd say it was because of mutations as the yeast has been stored.  I think that might be why 1214 seems to be a bit different than WLP500, which has the same source.  Just a SWAG, though.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:47 AM

Ken, try WY1388 for a Belgian yeast.  I bet it's one you;d like.  VERY restrained esters and phenols

I have gotten to the point where I won't blindly use a yeast. If I taste a commercial beer or homebrew with a yeast I haven't used and I like it, I'll try it. But I have used WAY too many yeasts without knowing their characteristics and ended up making either subpar or undrinkable beer and I don't want to waste that time and those materials that way... although I do appreciate your suggestion. :)

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:48 AM

I have gotten to the point where I won't blindly use a yeast. If I taste a commercial beer or homebrew with a yeast I haven't used and I like it, I'll try it. But I have used WAY too many yeasts without knowing their characteristics and ended up making either subpar or undrinkable beer and I don't want to waste that time and those materials that way... although I do appreciate your suggestion. :)

Then go buy a bottle of Duvel and see what you think.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

Then go buy a bottle of Duvel and see what you think.

That I can do. Thanks.

* off to the bottle shop... *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users