#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

So I'm all over the place on what to make next but I feel like I should have a porter in the rotation this winter.  It's not something I've made lately.  Do you guys have any tips or favorite ingredients?  I typically use some kind of pale ale malt (CMC or TF) and then round it out with dark crystal, chocolate malt and maybe a dash of roasted barley or black patent.  I'm not sure what I might like for hops.  I was thinking of making a pretty hoppy porter with Columbus and Chinook.  I also have galena if that might work for bittering or flavor/aroma.  I'd even consider a small dry hop if that's not too crazy.

what yeast do you guys like to use?  in the past I've often used US-05 or 1056 but I'm open to trying other stuff.  Maybe 1450?  Maybe WL002?

I feel like this style isn't discussed too often so even though I don't have it all that nailed down yet I figured it might make a good recipe thread.  :cheers:

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

For yeast I like 1450, 1272 and I have had good luck with 1318.

I use NB to bitter with and Willamette at the end but I can see something else used at finishing.  Your idea of Columbus and Chinook would work out very nicely I think.

Looking at my grain bill some may not call it a porter but I do :)

72% MO

11% Flaked Oats

6% C-60

8% Chocolate - I sometimes go 50/50 Regular and Pale

2% C-120

2% Midnight Wheat

I also like to have my Chloride up about 125ppm.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have plans for a porter coming up. It's going to be like this...

85% 2-row or MO

8% UK C80

3.5% UK Chocolate

3.5% UK Roasted Barley

Moderate doses of Cascade and Willamette late (I like the classic flavors of these two in just about anything and they have served me well in porter before)

probably 1450

I've also made good porter with 007 and 011.

The thing I really like about 1450 in a dark beer is the additional smoothness/richness it lends to the mouthfeel while still attenuating.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

I have plans for a porter coming up. It's going to be like this...

85% 2-row or MO

8% UK C80

3.5% UK Chocolate

3.5% UK Roasted Barley

Moderate doses of Cascade and Willamette late (I like the classic flavors of these two in just about anything and they have served me well in porter before)

probably 1450

I've also made good porter with 007 and 011.

The thing I really like about 1450 in a dark beer is the additional smoothness/richness it lends to the mouthfeel while still attenuating.

well it seems like we are all in the same ballpark.

#5 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:16 PM

Here's one I liked that has a different theme:
65% Pale Ale Malt,
13% Mild Malt (Munich also works)
6.5% C20
6.5% Brown Malt
6.5% Pale Chocolate
2.5% Black Malt (Increase this if you think you'd like it more black than brown.)
156°F mash for 1.046->~1.011
Equal doses Willamette at 60' & 5' to 25 IBU
1469 (002 would work)
(I've also made a variant with Perle and 011. The herbal Perle works in a really interesting way with the roast malts.)

I think I like this one because the Pale Ale Malt, Mild Malt/Munich, C20, Pale Chocolate & Brown Malt all hit different malt notes, while the same is true for the different roast notes, giving it a soft, round malty profile that I like in a Porter.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:41 AM

where does black malt fit into the roasted malts?  is it just black patent?

eta:  I also have victory and special roast.  I've never thought about using them in a porter before though.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 07 October 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:02 AM

where does black malt fit into the roasted malts?  is it just black patent?

eta:  I also have victory and special roast.  I've never thought about using them in a porter before though.

I would guess in this recipe it's going to be mostly for color and some more subtle roast notes at the quantity he's using it. I could see myself making this. I would only need to acquire some brown malt to do it.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:15 AM

I would guess in this recipe it's going to be mostly for color and some more subtle roast notes at the quantity he's using it. I could see myself making this. I would only need to acquire some brown malt to do it.

I think you can make it yourself in the oven using 2-row.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:24 AM

I think you can make it yourself in the oven using 2-row.

I'm not that adventurous. 

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:30 AM

I'm not that adventurous. 

the irony :lol:

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:37 AM

I like the brown malt addition. I get a bit of coffee out of it and may have to add some to mine.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:39 AM

the irony :lol:

I'm slow, help me out here.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:42 AM

I'm slow, help me out here.

just funny that someone adventurous enough to take on making their own beer might not try toasting some grain in the oven.  :P

the main reason I might buy it is if the homemade stuff isn't like the real thing.  I'm not really sure.

I like the brown malt addition. I get a bit of coffee out of it and may have to add some to mine.

have you tried coffee malt?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 07 October 2016 - 05:42 AM.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

I got it, but making beer doesn't sound that adventurous anymore!

The reason there are basically no malts colored between Brown (50-70L) and Pale Chocolate (180-220) is because they apparently are very harsh and acrid tasting. If I'm going to try making my own specialty malt its not going to be anything teetering on that color range. I'll let the experts do that. I've toasted oatmeal before for a batch of beer and I could see doing some lighter malts but in making brown malt I don't think I would have any idea if I did it right until I tasted the final beer... which would be too late if I did it wrong.

Edited by neddles, 07 October 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

No, no coffee malt yet for me. I know Matt has said good things about it before though.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

No, no coffee malt yet for me. I know Matt has said good things about it before though.

I think I have a little bit.  I may include it as one of my dark malts.

eta:  looks like I have about 1/2 lb of it.  I also have chocolate and pale chocolate, BP, RB, midnight wheat, carafa spec III.  lots of roasted grain options up in here!

Edited by Evil_Morty, 07 October 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, I meant Black Patent. Mostly color and some tastiness.

I really like the Porters I've made with Brown Malt. I'd like to try one where all or most of the color comes from Brown Malt.

I made one close to this essentially with Victory in place of Pale Chocolate. It was good and interesting, but a bit heavy-handed with the Victory. I almost mentioned that as another way to go.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

i'm really bad about thinking in terms of percentages so I need to rough this out a little bit so I can see just how much of these specialty grains you are talking about.  I know on a lot of beers (pale ale for example) it's often said that simple grain bills are better.  how about with porters though?  is it actually better to put in smaller amounts of a lot of different roasted grains vs 1 or 2 slightly larger amounts?

#19 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

My usual porter is just a smoothed out version of Jamil's Black Butte. By smoothed out, I mean even amounts- half pound, not .42. I also ditch the cara-pils. I'll have to grab mine from home, here's Jamil's. httpss://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/black-butte-porter-clone-9

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:40 AM

When I think about making porter, I always dream that I will flavor it with something like vanilla or coconut. I have had some flavored porters but I haven't made one in a very, very long time. The last time I had a standard commercial porter was earlier this year and it was super sweet which did not go over well with me or my tastebuds. If I made one, it would probably have some extra hops in it and it would be less sweet... not "dry" as I realize that's not a part of the character but drier than I experienced with this last one I tried. I think that one was 8+% too which added to my displeasure. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users