52 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

I've found that blending Vienna and Munich the Vienna gets lost. I can sorta see that dark Munich can be separated out of the equation but as I noted earlier seems like Im wasting time/space having both on hand because of the similarities.

Pils with Vienna (50/50) is very nice as is Pils/Munich1 or Pils/Munich2. Pils/Munich2 is what I used on my last Oktoberfest and it had quite a bit more color than I expected. I generally pick up these malts in 5 or 10 pound bags so it's not like I have 50lb sacks of all of these grains taking up space. I like to have them all because I use them all and honestly... When I was a new brewer and had "2-row" and "pilsner" malts, I also had all three of these malts and also wheat at all times and considered all of them to be base grains. A lot of my recipes use munich or vienna malt along with pils or 2-row. Cheers peeps.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

Pils with Vienna (50/50) is very nice as is Pils/Munich1 or Pils/Munich2. Pils/Munich2 is what I used on my last Oktoberfest and it had quite a bit more color than I expected. I generally pick up these malts in 5 or 10 pound bags so it's not like I have 50lb sacks of all of these grains taking up space. I like to have them all because I use them all and honestly... When I was a new brewer and had "2-row" and "pilsner" malts, I also had all three of these malts and also wheat at all times and considered all of them to be base grains. A lot of my recipes use munich or vienna malt along with pils or 2-row. Cheers peeps.

I guess it really boils down to what styles you brew the most. I prefer to keep malts around that can flip into most styles I brew. 

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:02 AM

I guess it really boils down to what styles you brew the most. I prefer to keep malts around that can flip into most styles I brew.

Exactly. I'm famous for Beersmith'ing up a recipe all week and then by Friday night I make something completely different. What can work best in a range of styles is what I prefer to keep on hand.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

I've found that blending Vienna and Munich the Vienna gets lost. I can sorta see that dark Munich can be separated out of the equation but as I noted earlier seems like Im wasting time/space having both on hand because of the similarities. 

the key is not too much munich.  a little bit doesn't hide it at all.

#25 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have brewed 100% Vienna a few times. Some IPA/APA's and also a Blonde sort of thing I guess. Basically a Vienna lager but with ale yeast. All times have been with Best Malz. Great results.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

Has anyone made an american amber with Vienna as the only base malt. I bought some to try out and was probably going to use it in a SMaSH lager to get a feel for it, and probably still will. But I am trying to brew something quick for Christmas/New Years and wonder if this would work well here. To me an Amber Ale is something pretty much anyone who likes crafty-ish beers can drink but I don't know if the Vienna will be too much for most people. Too much Vienna? Scratch recipe below. Please criticize!

6 gallons 

IBU 27

SRM 12

93% Best Vienna (10.25# on my system)

6% Carastan

1% Midnight Wheat

Mash 152F

Apollo @ 30

Light mix of Cascade and Willamette @10 and @0

WY1450

Edited by neddles, 08 December 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#27 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

I think you should go for it and I'll be curious to know what you think. Amber's are perfect for the Holidays and with your bittering, it should please just about anyone. I've been using MW too for color and recently made an amber with it along with Simpsons medium. Do it.

We're having a club competition soon, a SMASH Vienna and either 05, 001 or 1056. Each guy chooses a different hop. With 100% Vienna, I decided to go with Mandarina Bavaria.

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

I think you should go for it and I'll be curious to know what you think. Amber's are perfect for the Holidays and with your bittering, it should please just about anyone. I've been using MW too for color and recently made an amber with it along with Simpsons medium. Do it.

We're having a club competition soon, a SMASH Vienna and either 05, 001 or 1056. Each guy chooses a different hop. With 100% Vienna, I decided to go with Mandarina Bavaria.

Thanks for that. Funny too because that was the SMaSH (Vienna and Mandarina Bavaria) lager I was, and probably will make. 

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for that. Funny too because that was the SMaSH (Vienna and Mandarina Bavaria) lager I was, and probably will make.

I've used Mandarina in an APA twice and both so highly quaffable. I really like the flavor it imparts. Do that lager with it! You're part the reason I ordered a sack of Barke Pils and I see a BP/MB/34/70 in my near future.

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

You're part the reason I ordered a sack of Barke Pils and I see a BP/MB/34/70 in my near future.

I don't want any more responsibility in my life!

But I think you will enjoy it.

#31 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

I did an all Vienna pale ale one time and didn't care for it. I like malty beers but it was too malty for that style. The malt becomes a black hole for hops. It would probably do better as a malty lager but even there I prefer the additional complexity of pils and Munich malts.

#32 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

I did an all Vienna pale ale one time and didn't care for it. I like malty beers but it was too malty for that style. The malt becomes a black hole for hops. It would probably do better as a malty lager but even there I prefer the additional complexity of pils and Munich malts.

I can see your point. Any suggestions how to tame that for my upcoming SMASH comp?

#33 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

I can see your point. Any suggestions how to tame that for my upcoming SMASH comp?

Hop the shit out of it or call it an altbier. :) I'm not really a proponent of SMASH beers so I'm not much help there.

#34 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hop the shit out of it or call it an altbier. :) I'm not really a proponent of SMASH beers so I'm not much help there.

I'm not really a SMASH guy either and other than the fact I split a sack of Vienna, I'm thinking about bailing out of the comp simply because it's sorta boring.

Now Altbiers are my alley and I happen to have a new smacky of 1007

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, I probably would not do an all-Vienna pale ale but of course I would like to try MTN's version. :P

If I were to make an all-Vienna beer, I would make a lager and I would probably "hop the shit out of it" as mentioned but to combat the potential issue of being overly malty, I would be looking at an extra smidge of sulfate in the water and possibly a low-enough mash temp to counter all of that. A higher-attenuating yeast may help too. I do like malty styles but I don't want to get hit over the head with pesky maltiness. It's a fine line and another example of where the brewer has to consider a number of options with regard to recipe and process.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

In reference to the recipe I posted above. I was not under the impression that all vienna would be a malt bomb. Its the same color as pale ale malt and even lighter than my floor malted MO. So why is it so malty? What is different about its production?

#37 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

Personally I don't think it's as malty as everyone is making it out to be but I guess that's just my taste. I have a all Vienna carbing now.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

Personally I don't think it's as malty as everyone is making it out to be but I guess that's just my taste. I have a all Vienna carbing now.

That was my impression but I really dont know. Thought it might make a nice base for a toasty amber ale.

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

I had a version of this beer once and it was great.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

The best approach is to just try it and see where it falls in with your tastebuds. For reference, I spoke with a number of professional brewers that I know and it seems like the trend at this moment is to lower maltiness for IPAs, pale ales, ambers, reds, etc. by cutting 2-row (or whatever other base malt is used) with wheat. If the trend is to lower maltiness, Vienna would be going in the opposite direction although you should not interpret that as MUNICH 2 maltiness. It's not like that. Vienna's L° rating is typically 3-5 so neddles is right... it's relatively light but there is something about its production that creates that deeper & maltier character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users