Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 25 - BREWTAN!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

I have not noticed needed more bittering in hoppy beers bit I will keep that in mind for the next few I brew.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

I have not noticed needed more bittering in hoppy beers bit I will keep that in mind for the next few I brew.

maybe it affects certain types of hops more than others?  my beer was hopped with all Columbus.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

I made my helles as one of the (if not THE) first brewtan beer. I use some noble hops as a FWH and then add a small 60-minute addition and come to maybe 22-23 IBUs and it used to be a good hop level for that beer. But with the brewtan, that beer seemed really, really soft and smooth and I thought that maybe there wasn't enough hop presence although a helles is not supposed to have a hop presence anyway. It just seemed different to me... much softer, smoother, silkier and I thought that maybe the beer was out of balance. I'm not sure that I think that now that I have made more brewtan beers but at first the difference was very noticeable and maybe now I'm realizing that this is how I have wanted my beers to be all along.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

I made my helles as one of the (if not THE) first brewtan beer. I use some noble hops as a FWH and then add a small 60-minute addition and come to maybe 22-23 IBUs and it used to be a good hop level for that beer. But with the brewtan, that beer seemed really, really soft and smooth and I thought that maybe there wasn't enough hop presence although a helles is not supposed to have a hop presence anyway. It just seemed different to me... much softer, smoother, silkier and I thought that maybe the beer was out of balance. I'm not sure that I think that now that I have made more brewtan beers but at first the difference was very noticeable and maybe now I'm realizing that this is how I have wanted my beers to be all along.

Maybe there is something wrong with me or my process because I have not noticed much of that.  :crazy:

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

Nope, I haven't either, despite what Joe said.

maybe it affects certain types of hops more than others?  my beer was hopped with all Columbus.

Theoretically it should affect them all the same.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

Nope, I haven't either, despite what Joe said.

I will also add I have not had a side by side of a Brewtan beer vs a non-Brewtan beer.  Once I do that maybe it will be more noticeable.  I do think the Brewtan is doing something for me though, I just cannot put mu finger on it to describe but I have no intentions of stopping using it till I have none left.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

I will also add I have not had a side by side of a Brewtan beer vs a non-Brewtan beer.  Once I do that maybe it will be more noticeable.  I do think the Brewtan is doing something for me though, I just cannot put mu finger on it to describe but I have no intentions of stopping using it till I have none left.

maybe the extra "smoothness" is just making the beer seem like it has less IBUs to me.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

maybe the extra "smoothness" is just making the beer seem like it has less IBUs to me.he effect Joe was describing.

That's the effect Joe described.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

Right... the IBUs may be the same but maybe the brewtan is combating something in the beer (or water, etc) that is adding a little 'edge' and now that edge is gone. I have thought this all along (that brewtan might be removing something that came across as rough/harsh) because I get much more pronounced malt character in my beers but my hops are also much more clear... if that makes sense. I get better hop character and flavor. Denny described it as "integrated" and I agree. So maybe hopheads decide that there is room for more hops now that this softness has taken over. Hard to explain but I agree with Drez... I will keep using it and when I run out, I'll get more. :D

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

maybe the extra "smoothness" is just making the beer seem like it has less IBUs to me.

And now that I am hearing this I suspect thats why the 36 IBU Aramis Pils I made tastes more like 25 IBU. 

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

Right... the IBUs may be the same but maybe the brewtan is combating something in the beer (or water, etc) that is adding a little 'edge' and now that edge is gone. I have thought this all along (that brewtan might be removing something that came across as rough/harsh) because I get much more pronounced malt character in my beers but my hops are also much more clear... if that makes sense. I get better hop character and flavor. Denny described it as "integrated" and I agree. So maybe hopheads decide that there is room for more hops now that this softness has taken over. Hard to explain but I agree with Drez... I will keep using it and when I run out, I'll get more. :D

It's kinda the same as FWH...it may measure more IBUs, but it tastes like less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users