Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How often do you swap out your beer lines?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

I'm using standard 3/16" ID tubing. I put my current 4-tap, shanks-thru-the-wall setup together in 2010. I run cleanser (Oxi) and hot water and then Starsan solution through the lines on a regular basis (just did it this evening). But I have one line (#1) that seems to be getting a foamy pour. There is a pale lager on that tap at the moment and it's crystal clear but the beer is pouring WHITE for some reason. I get half a glass of foam, let it sit for a couple minutes to wait for the foam to collapse and then tap the rest of it. I have checked the line and there is no kink or wrinkle. I wonder if the line is cracking on the inside or possibly gunked up despite my efforts to keep it clean. But why just this one line? The others don't act this way. All that said, is 6 years a long time to keep the same beer line?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

I think 6 years is a long time but have no hard data to go by. Beer line is cheap I would change it. In the meantime can you try that beer on a different tap?

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

I think 6 years is a long time but have no hard data to go by. Beer line is cheap I would change it. In the meantime can you try that beer on a different tap?

I could try it on a different tap... #2. Same fridge, same gas line, different "beer-out" line. I'll try that and see what it does. The only reason I ask about changing out the line is because it will be a bit of work. Nothing overly problematic but the beer bunker is very crowded and I'm serving two lines out of each of two fridges and the lines come up through the top of the fridge, into some insulated tubing and then go to the shanks. So I have to take the kegs out of the fridges and probably move the fridges off of a 12" high platform I made, disconnect the tubing, etc. It could be a decent Saturday afternoon project when the weather is crappy. I suppose it gives me the chance to get everything reset, tighten up the shanks, possibly take the faucets off and soak them separately and put everything back together again.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Ken, change out the lines, all of them, as soon as you have time.

I run 1-2 years before changing lines out for new tubing, with a good cleaning every 2-3 months along the way.

Just sayin'.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

I suppose it does sound like a long time but I honestly don't know. The lines look good (clear) but there is this one tap that seems to be more lively and I can't say for sure if changing the line would fix it or not. I think I'll hit the LHBS this week and grab some new line and then look for a day to swap it. Thanks kids.

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

I had one line doing that and changed it out. Tore down the picnic tap and QD, cleaned them and relubed. It fixed it. I have no idea why it did that. I usually break down and clean the line every time the keg blows. Same lines for the last 4yrs.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

I had one line doing that and changed it out. Tore down the picnic tap and QD, cleaned them and relubed. It fixed it. I have no idea why it did that. I usually break down and clean the line every time the keg blows. Same lines for the last 4yrs.

I don't really have good access to the lines so it's a bit of a pain but if I set aside part of a Saturday afternoon, I think I could be pretty productive and get things pretty cleaned up. My faucets and lines seem to be in very good shape but it might be good to soak the faucets and spouts in hot water and Oxi, scrub them up, do a Starsan rinse, etc.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:45 AM

this is one reason I don't really like my keggerator that much.  removing the shanks and putting new line in is a serious PITA. I've only replaced them once.  picnic taps are much easier to change out.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:38 AM

this is one reason I don't really like my keggerator that much.  removing the shanks and putting new line in is a serious PITA. I've only replaced them once.  picnic taps are much easier to change out.

I assume you are talking about a tower right?  Swapping houses for me is no different than with a picnic tap, they both have a barbed fitting I just push the new house on to.  The only PITA is removing the wooden "box" that covers the shanks.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:21 AM

I assume you are talking about a tower right?  Swapping houses for me is no different than with a picnic tap, they both have a barbed fitting I just push the new house on to.  The only PITA is removing the wooden "box" that covers the shanks.

correct.  getting to my shanks is a PITA.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

correct.  getting to my shanks is a PITA.

Yes, those elbow shanks are  a PITA

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

I remember futzing with that when I had a tower. I eventually passed my tower onto another brewer but when I went to get it all cleaned up I realized what a pain the design was... and no room to work. This won't be that bad... once I clear everything out of the way. I'm going to the LHBS today (I think) to get some hops, fill a CO2 tank and pick up about 25' of new beer line. Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

Get this line and never replace again. Well maybe not never but a really long time. I installed mine probably 5 years ago or so and still looks like new.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

BLC

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

Get this line and never replace again. Well maybe not never but a really long time. I installed mine probably 5 years ago or so and still looks like new.

I have no special tools for this so how did you get the line onto the nipples/shanks? I would totally order this line right now but I know that I'm going to have some issues getting it installed. Boiling water? Thanks for posting this Matt.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

I have no special tools for this so how did you get the line onto the nipples/shanks? I would totally order this line right now but I know that I'm going to have some issues getting it installed. Boiling water? Thanks for posting this Matt.

John Guest fittings make it a snap. Order them from Farmhouse or RiteBrew. I'm not sure if ABInBev carries them or not.

You can also order the lines from those places too.

Edited by neddles, 13 October 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

Not going to lie installing it sucked and took some trial and error. I could go on and explain how I did it but not going to recommend it. Like neddles said the John Guest fittings are the way to go. You can get them for shanks and mfl keg connectors, so easy. As neddles said shop around for price, the place I posted was just the one I grabbed from a Google search. I actually think I got mine from Farmhouse.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

I have no idea what you guys are talking about... can someone post a pic or a link to these? Sorry to be a Nancy but with my luck I would order something wrong. :D

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

Here's the tubing. https://www.ritebrew...ct-p/843564.htm

In the description they list the two necessary John Guest fittings and their RiteBrew part numbers.

#20 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

Also order alot more tubing than you think you need. You will likely need a much longer length than you currently have. This tubing has less resistance therefore the extra length. I think I went from 6' with the regular stuff to 10' with this new line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users