Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How often do you swap out your beer lines?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

Okay, wow. Thanks for the link... much appreciated. The description of this line on the Ritebrew site is hilarious. It sounds dreadful to work with. So the one piece is HERE and the other piece is HERE. So if I get four of each of those, connecting the tubing to my shanks will be easy? Also... I have two small fridges and each fridge has 2 kegs plus a CO2 tank. It's crowded in there. I currently run just 5' of standard 3/16" Kuriyama beer tubing from the kegs to the shanks. I should order 40' of this stuff and run 10' of it per line? The description also said something like "you must coil the tubing carefully to prevent kinking". With the limited space, am I going to run into trouble? Would I really need to use that much tubing? Could I try to use 5' and just lower my pressure? Sorry for all the questions... I like the sound of this stuff but I don't want to fumble with it. I just want it to be easily installed and go.

#22 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yes, those are the correct fittings. Will be very easy to install with those. It is rigid yes, but not that bad to deal with. What I would do is order 40' and make 10' lengths. Work with it in your setup and see what you can do. See how it pours and go from there. It will be very easy to change the length with those fittings. It's like a quick disconnect. Just unhook, cut and push back in. I think what I did was just work on one and figured out the length that worked good and then cut the other 3 and installed the rest.
Better safe than sorry and have to short of lines.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:39 PM

Okay thanks Matt. I'm going to order 40' plus the 8 John Guest fittings and get on this shortly. Cheers and thanks again.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

Oh, one more thing... I don't have to do any kind of clamping of the tubing do I? I assume that the JG fittings take care of this for me. Thx. The tubing description mentioned something about how certain kinds of clamps are not good enough for it.

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

No clamps needed.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

No clamps needed.

Okay, thanks. But now I have one more thing. The other end of my lines go directly onto barbed liquid QDs. I assume that this satanic beer line won't go onto those either so do I need 8 sets of the JG fittings... 4 sets for the faucet shanks and 4 sets for the QDs?

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

Okay, thanks. But now I have one more thing. The other end of my lines go directly onto barbed liquid QDs. I assume that this satanic beer line won't go onto those either so do I need 8 sets of the JG fittings... 4 sets for the faucet shanks and 4 sets for the QDs?

There are separate Guest fittings for the shanks and for the QDs. So you will need 4 of the shank end connector and 4 of the QD end connector for 4 faucets from 4 kegs. Does that answer your question?

These connect to 1/4" MFL QD

https://www.ritebrew...ct-p/843481.htm

These connect to the shank (sans nipple)

https://www.ritebrew...ct-p/843483.htm

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

If your QD's are only barb meaning they have no flare fitting on them then you will have no choice but to push the new line on them or buy QD's with a flare and then the JG fittings.

#29 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

So I believe what Ken is saying is his QD's on his kegs are barbed and not mfl. So yeah that's a problem. Either you try and heat the new tube and install on the barbs or get new QD's that are mfl. I would go with the later.
Dang it drez!

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

So I believe what Ken is saying is his QD's on his kegs are barbed and not mfl. So yeah that's a problem. Either you try and heat the new tube and install on the barbs or get new QD's that are mfl. I would go with the later.
Dang it drez!

Yeah this. That's what I was missing, thanks guys.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

Does MFL mean threaded? Yeah, mine are not threaded. I have no issue getting 4 MFL liquid QDs but this is where I fall short in homebrewing... I don't know about how these things go together so I need some help. I thought the 2 separate pieces (843841 and 843843) were both used at the shank end. See? I'm clueless on this stuff.

#32 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

Yes MFL is the threaded flare type, so you will need 4 of those QD's. And the 2 seperate pieces are uses at opposite ends. So get 4 of each.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Okay guys. Thanks again for the help. Sheesh... once I get things in place I don't look at this stuff or stay on top of new stuff. So my cart at RiteBrew has 40' of 843564 and 4 of 843481 and 4 of 843483 and then 4 of 843386. Does anyone want to check my work before I checkout? :D Hep me, hep me!

#34 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

Yep, looks good to me!
Btw what do you think of my water filter?

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Okay guys. Thanks again for the help. Sheesh... once I get things in place I don't look at this stuff or stay on top of new stuff. So my cart at RiteBrew has 40' of 843564 and 4 of 843481 and 4 of 843483 and then 4 of 843386. Does anyone want to check my work before I checkout? :D Hep me, hep me!

Don't forget to pre-order some fresh Bayern lager yeast. 

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Don't forget to pre-order some fresh Bayern lager yeast.

:D Already have some!!

Yep, looks good to me!
Btw what do you think of my water filter?

What? Where?

Guys... thanks for the help. I hope that I have everything and that these lines are the dream that Matt mentioned. It will be a little work to rebalance everything but it should be better than I have now, I think. Thanks again & cheers.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

I hope that I have everything and that these lines are the dream that Matt mentioned. 

Me too since I have purchased all the parts and haven't had the time to put together a keezer collar!

#38 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:36 AM

I'm simply in the buy new, change out the old. I spend enough money on ingredients that a few buck spent to ensure taste is worth every penny.

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

I'm simply in the buy new, change out the old. I spend enough money on ingredients that a few buck spent to ensure taste is worth every penny.

yup.  I think I have 2 - 100' spools of hose in the brewery.  It is cheap enough to just swap out when needed.  I did try the hose Matt talked about and it was just too stuff for my application.  I now use it when I do CO2 transfers though as can be seen here:

14064101_10155371362994657_2042862289469

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:54 AM

I agree which is why I clean them often too. I'll be honest... in my setup, I see about 1' of my beer-out line. The rest is hidden behind kegs and CO2 tanks in the fridge and then up and out of the top of the fridge and into insulation and then to the shanks. Occasionally I get in there with a flashlight and look at the line itself and it always looks clean... no gunk, no buildup, etc. AFAIK, I have not had flavor issues due to poor beer line maintenance. But if these new lines are meant to last longer and stay cleaner, that's a plus.

Drez: Cute brewery assistant! But get some steel-toed shoes on him! Safety, safety! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users