18 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

I just smacked a pack of 1728 that I was going to use for a Scottish Ale (and still will) but I'm going to make an ESB first. Golden Promise, some Thomas Fawcett Dark Crystal #2 and Torrified wheat. I'm going to bitter with some 10.8% Pilgrim and then use three ounces of 5.6% EKG in the last 15 minutes. So first, I forgot that 1728 can ferment down to 55°. I also see that it gets a little fruity when fermented warmer (its range is 55-75). So any input on what temp you guys have used 1728? I think I'm going to try to keep it in the 60-62° range. I haven't used this yeast in a very long time. Also, has anyone used Pilgrim? This is a relatively new hop (2000) that is supposed to be dual-purpose. I expect very little character when using it as a bittering hop but the late character seems to be all over: Earthy, piney, woody, citrus, gooseberry, herbal, etc. I'm going to just add about 20 IBUs at 60 and then let the EKG take over. Any thoughts on the Pilgrim or 1728? Cheers.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Where is CJinJ when you need him?  I think that is the house yeast at Bairds Brewing.

This does remind me that I should brew up an ESB or bitter, I have some 1496 just begging to be used and a pound of EKG just sitting aroudn.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

Where is CJinJ when you need him?  I think that is the house yeast at Bairds Brewing.

This does remind me that I should brew up an ESB or bitter, I have some 1496 just begging to be used and a pound of EKG just sitting aroudn.

1469 W. Yorkshire? Great yeast. I haven't made an ESB/Bitter in awhile and even though the 1728 wouldn't be my first choice, I think it will make a fine ESB. But it's these Pilgrim hops I wonder about. I can't imagine they're going to futz up the beer but I get a little concerned about ingredients I haven't used before.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

1469 W. Yorkshire? Great yeast. I haven't made an ESB/Bitter in awhile and even though the 1728 wouldn't be my first choice, I think it will make a fine ESB. But it's these Pilgrim hops I wonder about. I can't imagine they're going to futz up the beer but I get a little concerned about ingredients I haven't used before.

Yes, I fat fingered that.

I think the hops will work just fine especially if you are just using the pilgrim for bittering.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

I think the hops will work just fine especially if you are just using the pilgrim for bittering.

I think so. There are some people who have mentioned that they were getting some nice character from them used late in the boil and dry-hopping too. I'll have about 3½ ounces of them left after this so maybe I'll make some sort of a "UK-Blonde Ale" where I bitter with something like Nugget or Horizon and then use the rest of the Pilgrim late. Cheers.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

Ken, you'll get a nice beer out of the 1728 if you keep it at ~60-62°F as you indicated in the OP.  One of my fav liquid yeasts; it makes (IMHO) a nice ESB.

Can't offer any advice re: Pilgrim hops; I bought a pound from Hops Direct ($5/lb on sale? Yes please!), but I haven't used them yet.

That said, I didn't read anything in the description that would prevent me from using them, especially w/ EKG for your late additions.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

Ken, you'll get a nice beer out of the 1728 if you keep it at ~60-62°F as you indicated in the OP.  One of my fav liquid yeasts; it makes (IMHO) a nice ESB.

Can't offer any advice re: Pilgrim hops; I bought a pound from Hops Direct ($5/lb on sale? Yes please!), but I haven't used them yet.

That said, I didn't read anything in the description that would prevent me from using them, especially w/ EKG for your late additions.

I got the idea for the Pilgrim hops from Goose Island IPA which supposedly contain Pilgrim, Centennial and Cascade. I'm sure that true IPA fans think that Goose IPA is tame (for an IPA) but I happen to like it. So I ordered all three hops and then used some of the Cents and Cascade in a standard APA (which came out great) and now I'm going to use some of the Pilgrim. I will update this thread when I've had the chance to sample the beer. Cheers and thanks for the reply.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

Good timing I am smacking some 1469 this weekend. Probably 1.048 bitter with almost the same grist as Ken and a bit less EKG blended with Fuggle late.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

It's a British-Ale-Palooza! I love the GP or MO/British Crystal/Torrified Wheat combination with British hops and a great bready & minerally UK yeast. Woot!

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

So, what is the big difference between torrified and say regular wheat or flaked?

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

So, what is the big difference between torrified and say regular wheat or flaked?

Torrified wheat is a raw wheat, I believe. It has not been malted which would make it different from malted red/white wheat or flaked wheat. A quick search says that it's great for added body and head stability and formation but that sounds precariously close to how malted wheat is described as well. It appears to be a staple in English ales and so I have used it in almost every one that I have made.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:33 PM

I believe torrified is just raw wheat that has had it's starches gelatinized by another method. IIRC the kernels are popped like popcorn. Flaked, as you know, is gelatinized in the rolling process. If or how they are different in the final beer is a mystery to me.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:50 AM

I believe torrified is just raw wheat that has had it's starches gelatinized by another method. IIRC the kernels are popped like popcorn. Flaked, as you know, is gelatinized in the rolling process. If or how they are different in the final beer is a mystery to me.

Did a bit of reading and I guess flaked is an OK substitute for this.  I may have some torrified kicking aroudn, I will have to check.  Ken's picture in the recipe side really got me craving a beer like this so I may have to see if I can find time next weekend. to pull it off.  I really want to try 1469 in my house APA ( Waterpark - Chinook, citra) so this will be a good way to build some up.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

Did a bit of reading and I guess flaked is an OK substitute for this.  I may have some torrified kicking aroudn, I will have to check.  Ken's picture in the recipe side really got me craving a beer like this so I may have to see if I can find time next weekend. to pull it off.  I really want to try 1469 in my house APA ( Waterpark - Chinook, citra) so this will be a good way to build some up.

If you had flaked wheat or even regular wheat, you could swing it. I prefer to use what English brewers might actually use in their beers but the wheat is a very small part of the recipe and it's one of the things that I might consider to be interchangeable. I wish I had a different yeast to use in this ESB but I think the 1728 will work fine for it. I do like 1469 and I have made this ESB with it plus 1028, 1968 and also 1099 Whitbread (the beer in the pic was made with 1099). I might sweat the base malt, the british crystal, the hops and the yeast but I think I've made this beer with 4-6 ounces of regular malted wheat in 5 gallons. Cheers Beerheads.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

Top crop it if you can. Easiest, cleanest repitch ever.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

Top crop it if you can. Easiest, cleanest repitch ever.

I should be able to do that pretty easy with some minor tri-clamp modifications.

I will post what I think I will brew in the other thread and see what the BT thinks. 

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

Mashing now. I measured out these Pilgrim hops and they smell really nice. I'm not great at picking up and describing hop character unless it's something obvious (like grapefruit) but these seem to be very clean, earthy, fresh, herbal, definitely English in character. They have been described as very Target-like which seems consistent. People have described a lot of fruity character when used late in the boil but the aroma I'm getting has none of that... they just seem clean, fresh and hoppy. Enjoy your brewdays Beerheads.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:51 AM

Ken, so how'd it go?

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

Ken, so how'd it go?

Everything went smoothly. The wort was that same darkish red color as the picture I posted in the recipe section. The primary was placed into a tub of water and when I put the temp probe in there it read 58° which was lower than I expected. I let it warm a little bit and there is plenty of activity with the temp in the envisioned 60-62° range. The EKG seemed very fresh and aromatic too... should be a nice beer. Cheers Brother Poptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users