25 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

This weekend I will make this ESB with some new 1728. I mentioned it in the beer forum but thought I would post it here.

1728 ESB

8 lbs Golden Promise
12 ounces Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #2 (about 93L)
6 ounces Torrified Wheat
.45 oz Pilgrim pellets @ 10.8% for 60 minutes
1 ounce East Kent Goldings for 15
1 ounce East Kent Goldings for 7
1 ounce East kent Goldings for 1
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 38, SRM: 11, ABV: 4.8%

I'll mash for 60 minutes, single infusion at 150°. I'm going to have the water lean towards sulfate (by just a couple of ppm) so I'll get a crisp, slightly minerally character. I have mentioned that this particular UK Crystal has quite a bit of red in it so using 12 ounces in 5 gallons is going to give it a pretty dark red color that is really nice. Here's a shot of this beer (pretty much the same recipe) that I made in 2011...

2ry1ybs.jpg

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

I really like the deep rich flavor of that TF Dark Crystal. I used 10oz. in and ESB last winter and really enjoyed it. Should be a very nice beer!

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:46 PM

I really like the deep rich flavor of that TF Dark Crystal. I used 10oz. in and ESB last winter and really enjoyed it. Should be a very nice beer!

I think it's unique enough that it really makes a difference in the beer. The UK pale malt (GP, MO or a good pale ale malt), this crystal plus the English yeast really make the beer. I prefer the English hops but it's the other ingredients that really do it up righteous. I've had people see my recipes like this and say, I'm going to make an ESB just like this one... Briess 2-row, American C60, White Wheat, Cascade and 1056! which would make a great beer but I don't think it would be like this.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Completely agree, it would be nothing like it.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

Looking through my grains this morning I had a small amount of Thomas Fawcett MO (about 2 pounds) so I threw that into my grain bucket with the remainder being Thomas Fawcett GP. Should be good. Probably brewing tomorrow morning. Cheers gang.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

I'm putting mine together right now. Hope to brew it this afternoon.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

I'm putting mine together right now. Hope to brew it this afternoon.

Nice. You got on that quickly. Are you using 1469?

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Nice. You got on that quickly. Are you using 1469?

Yes, did an SNS starter last night so I am on the clock now! Been planning this one for a while.

Edited by neddles, 21 October 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Yes, did an SNS starter last night so I am on the clock now! Been planning this one for a while.

Excellent. Nothing can stop you now although it's pretty cool and windy here today so I assume it's cooler by you. Enjoy the brewday and I hope it comes out nicely.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

Thanks. Its 40ish. Not bad. All my brewing is indoors except the boil anyhow.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

Ken, are you drinking this yet?

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

Ken, are you drinking this yet?

It's cold, kegged and carbed and next up when a tap opens up. I did have a few glasses with a cobra tap connected to the keg when it was first carbed and it was really nice and the color was very much like the pic above but the clarity wasn't there yet. Probably going to my tap #4 in the next week.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:09 PM

I am drinking a pint of mine tonight thinking "this is absolutely why I brew my own beer". If you recall I was making an ESB at the same time, different recipe but my following thoughts apply…. You simply cannot buy a beer like this anywhere I know of. The boutique malts, characterful yeast, english hops and dry finish… nowhere I have been can I get beer that tastes anything like this. I mean, who the hell makes commercial beer with 1469 on this side of the Atlantic?

Edited by neddles, 01 December 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:14 AM

I am drinking a pint of mine tonight thinking "this is absolutely why I brew my own beer". If you recall I was making an ESB at the same time, different recipe but my following thoughts apply…. You simply cannot buy a beer like this anywhere I know of. The boutique malts, characterful yeast, english hops and dry finish… nowhere I have been can I get beer that tastes anything like this. I mean, who the hell makes commercial beer with 1469 on this side of the Atlantic?

Absolutely!

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

I have had the yeast for a while and I really need to brew something with it and this thread popping back up was a sign.  So what do you think?

OG - 1.046  IBU - 35 SRM - 10.7

9.5# Maris Otter (TF)

.5# White Wheat (CMC)

.25 Amber malt (TF)

.125 Midnight Wheat ( color adjustment)

28g Magnum - 30

28g EKG - 5

56g EKG - DH

Ca- 72

SO4 - 101

CL - 55

pH 5.38

Yeast - West Yorkshire

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

If you like amber malt than the grain looks good to me. If you really want to get to know the character of the yeast I would brew a less hoppy beer with it. I do love those tasty EKG's though.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:51 AM

If you like amber malt than the grain looks good to me. If you really want to get to know the character of the yeast I would brew a less hoppy beer with it. I do love those tasty EKG's though.

I assume you are talking about backing off the DH or no DH all together?  As for the Amber malt... I have used it before and never not liked the beer so I am not sure it would bring something I do not like.  I was trying to stay UK with my ingredients if I could and the only other UK specialty malt I have kicking around is Simpsons Extra Dark crystal.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

I assume you are talking about backing off the DH or no DH all together?

Yeah. I think it would be nice how you have it but may hide some of the nice characters of the yeast, I would guess. 1469 and MO is going to give you and bready nutty character which to my palate is extremely nice. Keeping it at 1.046 as you have it will help it from becoming too rich as well. The aroma I get off the top of the pint of a 1469 beer with some MO and EKGs is outrageously good, IMO.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

Right. You guys know I'm a big German/Czech lager fan and I make my share of American styles too but I absolutely love making English styles like EPA and ESB or other bitters. It's easy (and essential!) to use authentic ingredients and the grains, hops and yeast strains fit in well with my tastebuds. My ESB happened to be made with 1728 which has produced some nice pale ales here too (I have a Citra-Amarillo pale ale on tap now that came out really nice with 1728) but at some point I plan to get back to 1028, 1099 or 1469. Before I was making my own beer, I would find Fullers or other English beers and they were fine (I even drank the hell out of Bass Ale years ago) but the ones I make are better. Cheeahs Mate.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

The 2016 edition...

102l3md.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users