#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

Fellas, I'm designing an Amber that I want to have a little more dank character than fruity or citrus. I'm setting this one up with Mt. Hood to bitter and am considering an equal amount of Columbus and Chinook at the very end. In my reading I like the descriptors for both. Columbus, "In the same capacity this variety is commonly used for late-boil or dry hopping for its herbal, earthy character." Chinook, "has a heavy aroma, and somewhat spicy bouquet. Some piney and herbal notes will be evident in a fresh batch." Are they too similar to be used in tandem? Maybe a little late Amarillo for 'some' citrus? Yes? No?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:19 AM

I think those 2 hops would work together just fine.  citra and Chinook go really well together (drez pale ale) but since you don't want citrus maybe just put a tiny amount of citra in.  I've found it doesn't take much citra to bring something to the table.

eta:  also I agree with drez that citra and Columbus are noticeably different.  Chinook seems quite piney to me while Columbus is more resin/dank.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 October 2016 - 05:22 AM.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

I see no issue with the combo.  I do not find them to be that similar, just my perception.  Just my $0.02 but if I was doing this I would go 2:1 Chinook to Columbus late and dry-hop.  I would also save the Mt. Hood for and use a bit of Columbus at bittering.

Oh and a 30 minute boil ;)

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

Thanks Guys. I want the bittering to be underdefined and mellow, hence the Hoods. I like the 2:1 idea. Plan is to drop both in at 0 minutes. Maybe a little Citra for good measure. I'm not against the citrus, I just don't want it to showcase.
Oh and I'm splitting the diff and have been doing 40 minute boils on my last 3 batches :)

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Guys. I want the bittering to be underdefined and mellow, hence the Hoods. I like the 2:1 idea. Plan is to drop both in at 0 minutes. Maybe a little Citra for good measure. I'm not against the citrus, I just don't want it to showcase.
Oh and I'm splitting the diff and have been doing 40 minute boils on my last 3 batches :)

2:1:.5 Chinook, Columbus, Citra would be a nice beer IMO and would be good for an amber.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:38 AM

I like your thinking

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

you guys are making me some kind of thirsty!

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

you guys are making me some kind of thirsty!

Same here and coffee is not doing it!

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

2:1:.5 Chinook, Columbus, Citra would be a nice beer IMO and would be good for an amber.

He's right you know :)

Drez, we have very similar tastes it seems :cheers:

I like the layering. I don't necessarily want a lot of hops that are super similar piled on top of each other. I like making a blanket of hop oils that cover a lot of bases and interact with each other in a symbiotic fashion. All citrus is one dimensional, same with all herbal or spicy or earthy or dank or....

The art lies in the blend

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:59 AM

The art lies in the blend

This is one item in the design and process where my skills need honing. It seems easier for me to make mildly hopped beers. Once I start increasing the bitters and finishers I mess up: too bitter, too much grapefruit etc...

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

Do you make adjustments to your water?

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

Do you make adjustments to your water?

Loosely following BruN with lactic adjustments only

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

This is one item in the design and process where my skills need honing. It seems easier for me to make mildly hopped beers. Once I start increasing the bitters and finishers I mess up: too bitter, too much grapefruit etc...

I think I could use some too.  I don't really have great "vision" when it comes to imagining which hops would go together to make something awesome.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

I need to dig up a pretty recent BYO or Zymurgy article that showed what hops work well together and what to sub. In my case it isn't critical because my brewing tastes haven't been too hop forward anyway. But I still want to learn how to blend much better.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

I don't entirely agree with the requirement of an artful blend of dissimilar hops. Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook are more similar than different when considered among world of hops but they go great together. Think SN Celebration. 

ETA: I think Columbus and Chinook have been maligned way too much. Used late, I don't find either to be all that dank, especially not Chinook.

Edited by neddles, 27 October 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

I don't entirely agree with the requirement of an artful blend of dissimilar hops. Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook are more similar than different when considered among world of hops but they go great together. Think SN Celebration. 

ETA: I think Columbus and Chinook have been maligned way too much. Used late, I don't find either to be all that dank, especially not Chinook.

I think a lot depends on the lot or hop crop.  I have had both be wonderful late and awful late.  **I look over that the 5g batch that I have to dump because of sh!ty Columbus** 

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

I think a lot depends on the lot or hop crop.  I have had both be wonderful late and awful late.  **I look over that the 5g batch that I have to dump because of sh!ty Columbus** 

Thankfully, I have not run into that. Was it dank or just crappy character?

Edited by neddles, 27 October 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

Thankfully, I have not run into that. Was it dank or just crappy character?

dank would have been good.  It was a weird earthy, vegatle, just licked the bottom of a boot thing. 

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

dank would have been good.  It was a weird earthy, vegatle, just licked the bottom of a boot thing. 

*vomit emoticon*

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

I feel like the Amarillo I have right now isn't the best so I always use it in small amounts.  maybe I just don't like it very much??

glad I've had good luck with Columbus so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users