Photo
- - - - -

reusing yeast cakes - any patterns you would avoid?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

so a common rule with reusing yeast from a cake for a subsequent batch is that you wouldn't want to reuse yeast from a high gravity beer.  you'd probably want to do that beer second with a low or moderate gravity beer first.  I think that one makes pretty good sense from a yeast health perspective.

but are there any other general rules that you guys follow?  like do you avoid making a really hoppy beer before the not so hoppy beer?  would you avoid pitching yeast from a stout/porter into a American wheat beer or maybe a lighter color APA/AIPA?  or is the transfer of hops or roast flavor minimal from one batch to the next so it doesn't really matter?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

I will just say I reused from a Munich Dunkel to a Helles with zero issues.  I did make a "007" style starter but did not decant much of the host dunkel.

I have also used yest saved from a dry hopped APA in a porter again with no perceived issues. 

I think, for me at least, the myth of "dirty" yeast is shattered.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

I will just say I reused from a Munich Dunkel to a Helles with zero issues.  I did make a "007" style starter but did not decant much of the host dunkel.

I have also used yest saved from a dry hopped APA in a porter again with no perceived issues. 

I think, for me at least, the myth of "dirty" yeast is shattered.

Right. I don't pay attention to that "lighter to darker" or "mild to hoppy" stuff anymore. I have also made a dark lager followed by a helles and there is nothing carried over. I don't make high gravity beers so I don't even have to worry about that piece of it. I have 830 going right now and the lineup is 1) Amber Lager (brewed), 2) Pilsner (brewed), 3) Dark Lager (in primary), 4) Red Lager (next) and 5) helles (last one).

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

good to know.  nice to have options.

I've only used yeast cakes a few times so I don't have much experience there.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 October 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

I'm going to dump my Dank Amber right on top of a huge slurry of WLP-029 this weekend. I don't give it much thought.

On a side note, I typically make half gallon starters and when I do, I usually pour off 8 to 16 ounces of it right into a mason jar right when the stir stops. That way when it settles out, I have some very clean yeast for future batches.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

On a side note, I typically make half gallon starters and when I do, I usually pour off 8 to 16 ounces of it right into a mason jar right when the stir stops. That way when it settles out, I have some very clean yeast for future batches.

I have been doing the same thing.  I tend to make a bigger starter and save a bunch of jars and then use the jars in a "007" style starter for the future beers.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

What's a "007" starter? License to kill yeast cells? :P

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

What's a "007" starter? License to kill yeast cells? :P

Shaken not Stirred  some discussion here I never thought I would be a convert .. but it has worked every time with no odd results.

edit to add link

https://www.brews-br...rter-procedure/

Edited by drez77, 26 October 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

Shaken not Stirred  some discussion here I never thought I would be a convert .. but it has worked every time with no odd results.

Oh yeah, I remember that conversation. So did someone conclude that shaken was actually better than stirred or was it just that it "was as good as" and so no reason to go out and buy a stirplate? I still use my stirplate and haven't had any problems.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

Oh yeah, I remember that conversation. So did someone conclude that shaken was actually better than stirred or was it just that it "was as good as" and so no reason to go out and buy a stirplate? I still use my stirplate and haven't had any problems.

not sure if it was even proven or not but I just went by my results for me.  As long as I can plan my brewday out and actually get to brew I am good to go.  I also like just making 1L of starter wort, saves on DME for me.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

I've quit using a stir plate and yeast calculator with this method.  I find it easier and at least as good if not better.  Here's my expereince....httpss://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/old-dognew-tricks

not sure if it was even proven or not but I just went by my results for me.  As long as I can plan my brewday out and actually get to brew I am good to go.  I also like just making 1L of starter wort, saves on DME for me.

If you look through the lengthy threads on the AHA forum, S. Cerevisiae has some pretty convincing evidence that it's better.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

I am hoping that I'll have 2 weeks between beer #1 and beer #2 so that I don't even need a starter for beer #2.  I will likely do a 007 starter for beer #1 though.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

I'm going to continue to use my stir plate because it was a gift from my wife and it's cool as feck.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 26 October 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

I'm going to continue to use my stir plate because it was a gift from my wife and it's cool as feck.

I've made a lot of great beer with both methods.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

I haven't read all of the shaken v. stirred information but I felt like I got quicker resurrection of older yeast when I used my stirplate. I also felt like things got active quicker for yeast of any age when the stirplate was used. I don't know if I think it's cool as feck but I was just under the impression that when the yeast was in constant suspension that things would move along quicker. I realize that there is no real scientific foundation for what I just said but it seems reasonable and my experience has been consistent with it.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Same here

I haven't read all of the shaken v. stirred information but I felt like I got quicker resurrection of older yeast when I used my stirplate. I also felt like things got active quicker for yeast of any age when the stirplate was used. I don't know if I think it's cool as feck but I was just under the impression that when the yeast was in constant suspension that things would move along quicker. I realize that there is no real scientific foundation for what I just said but it seems reasonable and my experience has been consistent with it.

Funny, I have noticed the opposite.  I have seen much faster start times in the flask with the shaken method.

In the end both will work and it is a personal preference.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

Mee tooo

It is...

When I got into brewing I had the erlmeyer flask etc and I used to put it on the kitchen counter with a post it note saying, "Gimme a swirl" and all three of us would give it a swirl throughout the process. Stir plate's don't need post it notes :)

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

I use both methods of ales depending on the health/age quantity of yeast I am starting with and when I am expecting to brew. Both work well and I can't say I notice a difference in the final beers. With lagers I have thus far built up significant yeast populations with a stirplate and flask.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

I use both methods of ales depending on the health/age quantity of yeast I am starting with and when I am expecting to brew. Both work well and I can't say I notice a difference in the final beers. With lagers I have thus far built up significant yeast populations with a stirplate and flask.

Try it with a lager! 

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

So how often would you guys "shake" or swirl the flask? I know that before I had a stirplate I would go down to the bunker and just swirl it whenever the thought occurred to me. It might be every 30 minutes to only twice a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users