#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

So this is the latest request from my wife. Has anyone here brewed something like this and have any insights? I'm wondering about the raisin aspect of it mainly. How much, when to add?

I will probably add a cinnamon stick after it ferments and then possibly some nutmeg in the boil. Flaked oats of course that I plan on toasting in the oven for a bit. Mash about 154. Yeast was thinking 1318 or 1968. That's about all I got right now, oh and here is the recipe that I just threw together. Anybody have any suggestions?

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 34.0     4.00 lbs. Pale Ale Malt (2-row)         Canada         1.037      2
 34.0     4.00 lbs. Pale Malt (Maris Otter)       UK             1.038      4
 17.0     2.00 lbs. Flaked Oats                   USA            1.033      2
  8.5     1.00 lbs. Victory Malt                  USA            1.034     28
  4.3     0.50 lbs. Special B                     Belgium        1.031    147
  2.1     0.25 lbs. Chocolate Pale Malt(Crisp)    UK             1.036    225

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.50 oz.    Bravo                             Pellet  15.10  29.5  60 min.

#2 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Thinking of adding some Golden Naked oats to this as well.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:49 AM

what about a little brown sugar or molasses in there?

As for yeast, my gut tells me that 1318 is not right for this.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:37 AM

if you are really going for the cookie aspect I'd suggest some vanilla bean in there somewhere.  maybe a tiny amount of star anise.

as drez suggested molasses or black treacle might not be a bad idea if you like that kind of thing in beer.  I find it leaves a little too much flavor for my liking - almost like whisky or something.

I've used 1318 and I think it has too much character for something like this.  I'd go for something cleaner like 1056.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:54 AM

I could see making something like this for Christmas. My .02: Perhaps 1450 to get a little more silky mouthfeel and maybe a small amount of lactose?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:24 AM

I could see making something like this for Christmas. My .02: Perhaps 1450 to get a little more silky mouthfeel and maybe a small amount of lactose?

1450/1272 is where my mind went.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

1450/1272 is where my mind went.

yeah, those would work as well.  I'd just want to avoid English yeast character for the most part.

#8 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:17 AM

I did think about some brown sugar so I will probably add some of that as well. As far as vanilla wife said no to that right away.

So you guys aren't digging the 1318 huh? I thought a English yeast would be good here, I like that character. Originally I had planned on making a English Brown this weekend and my wife swayed me in this direction. I figure I would get plenty of mouthfeel from the oats.

Anybody have suggestions about the raisin part?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:26 AM

I did think about some brown sugar so I will probably add some of that as well. As far as vanilla wife said no to that right away.

So you guys aren't digging the 1318 huh? I thought a English yeast would be good here, I like that character. Originally I had planned on making a English Brown this weekend and my wife swayed me in this direction. I figure I would get plenty of mouthfeel from the oats.

Anybody have suggestions about the raisin part?

I like 1318 in my hoppy NEIPAs but not sure I want it in this.

i read a post on the BN page of AHA page about caramelizing the raisins and adding them in after fermentation.

I know I may be in the minority but I do not get a ton of mouthfeel from flaked oats.  :frantic:  I have been experimenting with malted oats and like them a bit better.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

I second the motion to caramelize the raisins.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:40 AM

I think the thing to remember about brown sugar is that it's just regular sugar with some molasses added to it.  so if you were going to add molasses + sugar anyway it's a pretty good idea.  just something to think about.

like drez I like 1318.  I just don't think I'd want it in a spiced/flavored beer like this.  maybe we are both crazy :P

I can't help with the raisin thing but I like the idea of adding them to secondary or late in the primary.

I'm surprised on the no vanilla though.  I think most oatmeal raisin cookie recipes have vanilla extract in them.

https://www.bettycro...31-060eeff34d10

Edited by Evil_Morty, 01 November 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

I agree on the vanilla, I would sneak some in there.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

I agree on the vanilla, I would sneak some in there.

sneak it in, get her to admit she likes the beer and then the big reveal.

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfR1TwosYQg

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

I like 1318 in my hoppy NEIPAs but not sure I want it in this.

i read a post on the BN page of AHA page about caramelizing the raisins and adding them in after fermentation.

I know I may be in the minority but I do not get a ton of mouthfeel from flaked oats.  :frantic:  I have been experimenting with malted oats and like them a bit better.

No mouthfeel from flaked oats? In what quantity? I will definitely be using the golden naked oats as well as some flaked.

I think the thing to remember about brown sugar is that it's just regular sugar with some molasses added to it.  so if you were going to add molasses + sugar anyway it's a pretty good idea.  just something to think about.

like drez I like 1318.  I just don't think I'd want it in a spiced/flavored beer like this.  maybe we are both crazy :P

I can't help with the raisin thing but I like the idea of adding them to secondary or late in the primary.

I'm surprised on the no vanilla though.  I think most oatmeal raisin cookie recipes have vanilla extract in them.

https://www.bettycro...31-060eeff34d10

I agree they probably all do have vanilla in them. I have made a few beers lately with vanilla in them so maybe she is just tired of it. Let's just call it a Cinnamon, Oatmeal, Raisin beer for now and drop the cookie. :P

There is still plenty of time for her to change her mind or me to do it for her.

I did search a couple recipes and have seen the caramelized raisin thing mentioned. Also have seen putting them in the boil and the beginning in a bag. Probably leaning towards the caramelize method.

I'm still confused about the yeast. I have seen some other recipes use 002 and also 1968 along with other odd yeasts I have never used. Looking at the styles suggested on the Wyeast website 1318 just seemed like a good fit.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

No mouthfeel from flaked oats? In what quantity? I will definitely be using the golden naked oats as well as some flaked.

I agree they probably all do have vanilla in them. I have made a few beers lately with vanilla in them so maybe she is just tired of it. Let's just call it a Cinnamon, Oatmeal, Raisin beer for now and drop the cookie. :P

There is still plenty of time for her to change her mind or me to do it for her.

I did search a couple recipes and have seen the caramelized raisin thing mentioned. Also have seen putting them in the boil and the beginning in a bag. Probably leaning towards the caramelize method.

I'm still confused about the yeast. I have seen some other recipes use 002 and also 1968 along with other odd yeasts I have never used. Looking at the styles suggested on the Wyeast website 1318 just seemed like a good fit.

002 actually seems relatively clean as English yeasts go.  might not attenuate enough depending on your OG.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

I thought 002=1318? https://www.brewboar...showtopic=44592

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

here it says 1968:  https://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

I'll try to see if there are other sources since these don't agree.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

So now she says a little vanilla is fine. Oh and btw I know its not page 3 yet but I had already bought the 1318 yesterday. I was hoping you guys would change your minds. :D

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Sounds like 1318 will be good here!

#20 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron