#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

I have 70 qt xtreme. Maybe i'll give it a shot. I don't think i've used it as an mlt.

same one that I have.  my only mod is I filled the lid with some foam insulation.  don't be a dummy like me and use the regular stuff.  get the low expansion kind.

also, on those cold nights I do throw a couple of blankets on it which probably helps a little bit.  just making sure I'm being fully honest here.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

For me no mash controls at all. Wrap a large blanket around the kettle. I have an 11 gallon kettle and brew 6 gallon post boil batches. I have mashed enough grain and water for OG1.086 beers and a 60 min boil with this set up. Could probably get a little higher than that if I wanted to. 

Here is a reputable bag source. https://www.brewinabag.com

I keep a pizza screen on the bottom of my kettle so I don't scorch the bag when ramping temperatures. If you don't anticipate ramping temps then it is useless.

It's essentially no-sparge so once you know your absorption you simply add water and salts to the kettle, heat and go. No need for sparge acidification or additions or worries about runoff gravity or sparge/runoff pH. Hoist bag and let drip to pre-boil volume. If you want to max out the mash capacity of your kettle then decrease your absorption number and squeeze the bag to assist getting to full volume.

Another tip (I have not tested it and do not intend to), do not stir the mash before hoisting the bag. Hoist slowly so as to no over agitate the grain bed. I am fairly certain this results in slightly clearer wort into the kettle. No idea if it matters in the final beer but stirring certainly does not add anything.

I got one of these on amazon for like $7 or $8. I installed an eye-bolt in a joist underneath my deck and right outside a walkout set of french doors in my basement. I mash boil and hoist there. Wheel it inside to chill, whirlpool, and all the rest.

kayak-lock-lasso-8-x-3-8-rope-lock-pulle

Simple, extremely useful, and absurdly accurate is Kai's conversion chart (below). It assumes 100% conversion of your grist. I add a short alpha rest for the last 10 or 15 min of my mashes and the OG is spot on 95% of the time. Never more than 0.001 off. Just look at your mash ratio and and see what the pre boil gravity should be. Adjust efficiency of your recipe accordingly. Don't want to ramp temps and/or don't want that kind of predictable accuracy, skip it.

First_wort_gravity.gif

Actually that's the first runnings gravity, not pre boil gravity.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

same thing for a BIAB guy though, right?

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

Right, but if you aren't sparging it's the same.  I always use Kai's chart to check my first runnings.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

I'll probably give the 70qt coleman a go, but I'm really tempted by the one vessel system and I have a 25gal kettle sitting around that's never been used.  So...

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

I'll probably give the 70qt coleman a go, but I'm really tempted by the one vessel system and I have a 25gal kettle sitting around that's never been used.  So...

it's all about what seems easy to you.  it seems like if you can get the recirc working well it's very easy and pretty fool proof.  I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off though.  seems like there are too many places for it to not work as intended and mashing in the cooler already seems very easy to me.  if you are good at setting this kind of thing up though it seems like it could be the lower effort option when brew day rolls around.

also, I'm not sure but 15 gal might be pushing it in the 70 qt xtreme.   then again I mash super thin on my 10 gal batches.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 November 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

Yep.  Assuming no sparge.  Some BIABers sparge.

Edited by denny, 13 November 2016 - 03:11 PM.

#28 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19060 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

If you're losing 5+ degrees it must be either a really thin cooler, poor mash volume : cooler volume ratio, or more likely, the lid is not sealing well at the top (common). The coolers we use aren't really designed for heat and the thinner ones warp sometimes when exposed to it. This has happened to my current cooler, necessitating battoning down and sealing with duct tape. With that done, most of the heat loss is forestalled.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Yes. 

Some BIABers sparge.

That's try although I'll say I've never fully understood the logic of sparging a BIAB set up. Lots of different ways to go about it I guess.

#30 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:02 PM

Before you try it - what color is the cooler?

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

:unsure:

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:24 AM

Kind of a royal-ish blue. Just like this:

httpss://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/Coleman/6270A748?wid=2000&hei=2000

#33 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:32 AM

You're golden.  B)

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

You're golden. B)

What would the bad answer have been?

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

red :troll:

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

That mash tun is yuge!

The best mash tun?

But seriously is there a mash tun people should avoid from that Coleman line or something?

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

Pretty sure it goes back to an old joke about the best cooler to use being blue.  I think because Denny's cooler was blue.  I could be wrong though.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

Pretty sure it goes back to an old joke about the best cooler to use being blue.  I think because Denny's cooler was blue.  I could be wrong though.

I must have missed that meme.  good thing I have a blue cooler though :lol:

back to JKor though.  maybe you could give the cooler a try and if you don't like it add in a recirc to the cooler.  wouldn't having the cooler insulated make an easier job for keeping temps up anyway?

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

Anything but blue.  Blue coolers give you 135% efficiency.  Every few times you brew, anew bag of grain magically appears.

You're correct, that's exactly where it began!

#40 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

Ironically, i have three large cooles i use for different parts of the process and they are all blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users