#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:08 AM

what was the heating method in that small system I saw at your house?  does anyone use an inline heater in a system like this?

#42 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

It was an el cheapo chinese heat stick i got on ebay for about $8. It claimed 1500W, i believe. That whole system cost about $50. It didn't work half bad, but it could use some tweaks.

I'm fairly set on brewing a batch this weekend. I think i'm just going to go cooler/no sparge rather than BIAB. It looks like 10 gal batch of 1.050 should be doable in the 70 qt coleman.

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

It was an el cheapo chinese heat stick i got on ebay for about $8. It claimed 1500W, i believe. That whole system cost about $50. It didn't work half bad, but it could use some tweaks.

I'm fairly set on brewing a batch this weekend. I think i'm just going to go cooler/no sparge rather than BIAB. It looks like 10 gal batch of 1.050 should be doable in the 70 qt coleman.

it will be close to overflowing if you try to mash in with the full volume of water.  you can also do what I do which is to do a tiny batch sparge.  1.5-2 gal will probably keep the mash volume small enough.

#44 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

Sounds good, i'll give it a go.

#45 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

I might go back to propane for the first time in several years. How are the bayou SP10 and/or SQ14 for 10 gal batches. I have an older jet burner but the thing eats through propane and wastes heat like crazy. I'd rather not use it if i don't need to.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:46 PM

I might go back to propane for the first time in several years. How are the bayou SP10 and/or SQ14 for 10 gal batches. I have an older jet burner but the thing eats through propane and wastes heat like crazy. I'd rather not use it if i don't need to.

I use the sq14 and it takes a little time but it gets the job done. Regarding what you can fit in the tun: I use the green bay rackers can I mash it calc and make sure I keep it below 14.45 gal.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 15 November 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#47 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

I'm half temped to try to ferment in my kettle just to take another step out of the process. I've never really thought too much about it. Are there downsides to this?

#48 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

I'm half temped to try to ferment in my kettle just to take another step out of the process. I've never really thought too much about it. Are there downsides to this?

Nope...go for it.  I've done it and it will be a recommended technique in our next book.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

do you have a way to seal it up?

in my case it wouldn't be much different since I let everything go into the fermentor (except for the bulk of the hop matter which stays behind in the SS screen tube).

moving 10 gals is going to be a bit of a bitch though.  do you have a way to get it into your ferm chamber?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 17 November 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#50 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:16 AM

I'll need to figure something out for the sealing. It shouldn't be too big of a deal. Maybe just crimp tin foil around the lid.

I might build my ferm chamber around the kettle. :-)

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

I'll need to figure something out for the sealing. It shouldn't be too big of a deal. Maybe just crimp tin foil around the lid.

:blink:

but seriously what?  do you have a cooled jacket or something?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 17 November 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#52 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

A couple of foam insulation boards duct taped together is a great ferm chamber! I have an A/C unit for cooling. I just cut an opening in the foam and rest the A/C in it.

#53 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

A couple of foam insulation boards duct taped together is a great ferm chamber! I have an A/C unit for cooling. I just cut an opening in the foam and rest the A/C in it.

Sounds like something along the lines of a Son of Fermentation chiller.

#54 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

Nope...go for it.  I've done it and it will be a recommended technique in our next book.

Do tell what the next book is on if you can.

#55 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

I haven't even done that.

Do tell what the next book is on if you can.

Can't really say right now, but it will closely follow my brewing philosophy.

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

NO worries.... I can figure it out.  It will be on brewing NEIPAs... I kid I kid.

Look forward to a new book, that last one was very nice.

#57 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:12 PM

Cool! Denny is writing a book on automated brewing! I knew all of your time with the picobrew would covert you. ;)

#58 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

I admit. I'm coming around to your philosophy. It pains me but I can't deny it any longer. I'm entering an era of KISS brewing!

#59 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

I admit. I'm coming around to your philosophy. It pains me but I can't deny it any longer. I'm entering an era of KISS brewing!

As a member of the AHA GC, I'm privy to surveys that the AHA does.  At HomebrewCon last year, all the talk at our meeting and the retailers meeting was about how the hobby is changing.  People no longer want an all encompassing lifestyle related to homebrewing.  They want a quick, easy activity that fits in with the rest of their lives.

#60 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

As a member of the AHA GC, I'm privy to surveys that the AHA does. At HomebrewCon last year, all the talk at our meeting and the retailers meeting was about how the hobby is changing. People no longer want an all encompassing lifestyle related to homebrewing. They want a quick, easy activity that fits in with the rest of their lives.

That has the hallmarks of something going *gasp* mainstream! Omg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users