18 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Well, after saying that I would not be brewing this weekend I have fielded a request from my wife for a Brown Ale. Not one to disobey my wife I am going to squeeze this in tomorrow. I haven't made many brown Ales. Looking for something a bit more focused on the malt than the hops, this is what I came up with. Please critique.

6 gallons post boil

30 min boil

IBU 27

SRM 19

86% Crisp Maris Otter

7% Fawcett C65 (12oz)

3.5% Special Roast (6oz)

3.5% Crisp Chocolate 375L (6oz)

Mash 152F

13g Apollo @30

15g Willamette @15

15g Willamette @5

WY1450

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

I think I made a Northern Brown once. There was an ingredient I used that was either "amber malt" or "brown malt" and I can't remember which it was. It was very, very roasty and coffee-like and I did not care for the roastiness. This was when I was still bottling things so I put some away and after some amount of time, that roastiness gave way to a very smooth and pleasant beer. I mentioned this beer OVER HERE. So I don't have a lot of experience with it and I would like to know what other malts are out there now that might make a nice Brown Ale. I have a pound or two of "pale chocolate" and I would be interested to know how that might play. The Special Roast in the recipe here is something I have never used, AFAIK. I haven't used chocolate in awhile either. But the recipe seems totally reasonable for a brown.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

that recipe looks good.

I also have to put a word in for denny's noti brown ale.  super good although a little more robust/intense than you may be looking for.  at the very least if you can use castle chocolate malt I would suggest giving it a shot.  that malt is so damn smooth.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

that recipe looks good.

I also have to put a word in for denny's noti brown ale.  super good although a little more robust/intense than you may be looking for.  at the very least if you can use castle chocolate malt I would suggest giving it a shot.  that malt is so damn smooth.

Agreed on both counts.  You can always scale the Noti Brown back a bit.  In spite of the amount of hops and the calculated IBU, it really doesn't taste hoppy or bitter.  And the Castle choc. malt IS incredible!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

Agreed on both counts.  You can always scale the Noti Brown back a bit.  In spite of the amount of hops and the calculated IBU, it really doesn't taste hoppy or bitter.  And the Castle choc. malt IS incredible!

I agree it doesn't taste overly hoppy or bitter but it does have a lot of taste and probably isn't what I would describe as simple.  it has some complexity (in a good way!).

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

I may make the Noti at some point and if I do I think I'll want to make it to specs. Just not looking for a beer that big in this case.

Any thoughts on the Special Roast anyone? Too much, not enough? Just trying to enrich the bready/toasty background with it in this case.

Edited by neddles, 21 November 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

I think 4 oz would be what I would do but 6 oz could be okay too. Have you used it before?

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

I think 4 oz would be what I would do but 6 oz could be okay too. Have you used it before?

Ive used it at 4oz per 6 gallons in a bitter and enjoyed it quite a bit but that was quite a while ago. I dont always trust my palate over long gaps in time. I do worry about it being lost at only 4 oz and having some other characterful malts on board, thats why I upped it to 6oz.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:45 AM

Sounds like you probably know what you are in for them. Go for it!

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

A late entry: I stopped in at the LHBS this morning to pick up a couple things and fill a CO2 tank. I've known the guy who works there for years and he said, "Have you tried the Simpson's Double Roasted Crystal? It's unbelievable!". It's 110°L and he gave me a few kernels to taste. It's really delicate and crisp and has a great flavor. I said, "Okay, how much and in what styles?" and he said, "It absolutely makes a Brown Ale". I'm not sure what else you would use in the Brown Ale along with this stuff but I picked up a pound of it and envisioned it working with some pale chocolate in a Brown. Thought I would share.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for that. Hmmm. I was under the impression DRC was akin to special B in flavor and process. Would not have thought to use it in a brown ale.

#12 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

I picked up some Simpson DRC as well last week. I had planned on using it in that quiet storm recipe as it calls for crystal 105 and that was the closest Rebel had. I agree it tastes really good, very roasty.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

A late entry: I stopped in at the LHBS this morning to pick up a couple things and fill a CO2 tank. I've known the guy who works there for years and he said, "Have you tried the Simpson's Double Roasted Crystal? It's unbelievable!". It's 110°L and he gave me a few kernels to taste. It's really delicate and crisp and has a great flavor. I said, "Okay, how much and in what styles?" and he said, "It absolutely makes a Brown Ale". I'm not sure what else you would use in the Brown Ale along with this stuff but I picked up a pound of it and envisioned it working with some pale chocolate in a Brown. Thought I would share.

It's pretty much their version of Special B.  I tested some about 6 months ago.  Much better suited for a dubbel of BDSA IMO, than a brown ale.

Thanks for that. Hmmm. I was under the impression DRC was akin to special B in flavor and process. Would not have thought to use it in a brown ale.

You are correct on the Special B comparison.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

I didn't get the dried fruit/raisin character from it nor did I get uber-roastiness. It tasted like a cleaner version of a C120. The kernels were like chewing on rice crispies or something... super crispity crunchity. I did not mentally make a comparison to Special B and I thought that SB usually clocked in around 150L and this is just 110. I'm not a brown ale pro so I don't know but the label on the bin of it mentioned its uses and BROWN ALE was the first style shown.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that this guy has brewed professionally before and is a good guy and good brewer. He was telling me of all of these grains (mostly Castle) that have changed the names of a number of grains and I generally don't pay attention. I mentioned that CaraVienne is now CaraRuby and he mentioned a bunch of other new ones that used to be called something else... CaraGold, CaraBlonde, Chateau Abbey, CaraClair, Chateau Café and Café Light... my head started to spin.

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

Sounds kinda like CaraAroma, which is also 120, but doesn't taste like Special B, to me. I've used CaraAroma in Dunkel and Porter, so I'm sure it would work in a Brown. Guilt by association.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Simpsons DRC™ has been several years in the making. Using our years of roasting experience, knowledge of malt flavor profiles and pilot roasting facilities, we have managed to produce this unique malt. This malt is at the darker end of our Caramel malt spectrum, however imparts a colour and an intense sweet malty aroma second to none which must be experienced to be believed. This new malt has the classic Simpsons Malt house feel and instantly breaks down in the palate once chewed. It has a distinctive aroma and flavour that is very complex and imparts a heavy, dark caramel taste with more subtle notes of burnt sugar, raisin, and dark dried fruits such as cherries and plums. It can also deliver some of the softer roasty notes of a chocolate or black malt but without the astringency or bitterness. Simpsons DRC™ will produce a deep brown colour with ruddy highlights and add body and foam stability like all caramel malts. Use it to brew traditional Belgian Abbey and Trappist Ales, Dubbels and Dark Strong Ales, but also try it in UK Brown Ales, Stouts, Porters and or any other dark beers, to add an extra layer of complexity. Colour: 280 - 320˚ EBC, 100 – 120˚ Lovibond.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

Simpsons DRC™ has been several years in the making. Using our years of roasting experience, knowledge of malt flavor profiles and pilot roasting facilities, we have managed to produce this unique malt. This malt is at the darker end of our Caramel malt spectrum, however imparts a colour and an intense sweet malty aroma second to none which must be experienced to be believed. This new malt has the classic Simpsons Malt house feel and instantly breaks down in the palate once chewed. It has a distinctive aroma and flavour that is very complex and imparts a heavy, dark caramel taste with more subtle notes of burnt sugar, raisin, and dark dried fruits such as cherries and plums. It can also deliver some of the softer roasty notes of a chocolate or black malt but without the astringency or bitterness. Simpsons DRC™ will produce a deep brown colour with ruddy highlights and add body and foam stability like all caramel malts. Use it to brew traditional Belgian Abbey and Trappist Ales, Dubbels and Dark Strong Ales, but also try it in UK Brown Ales, Stouts, Porters and or any other dark beers, to add an extra layer of complexity. Colour: 280 - 320˚ EBC, 100 – 120˚ Lovibond.

I didn't get the roasty or dried/dark fruit flavors but that doesn't mean they weren't there. I would NOT use a lot of this stuff in a beer and I might treat it like a C120 or Special B in terms of percentages.

#18 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

Cut the roast to 3 oz max.  You're good to go

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Cut the roast to 3 oz max. You're good to go

Can you elaborate? The special roast or the chocolate? Also, why? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users