• LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Grist:

Pils - 45.5%

Munich - 45.5%

Wheat - 9%

Hops: (all pellets)

Pilgrim (AA = 9.1%) - 90 min boil, 1 oz

First Gold (AA = 6.1%) - FWH, last 10 min of boil, and 30-min hopstand post boil, each addition is 1 oz

Anyone see any glaring issues with this hop bill?  I'm looking to brew this one on Wednesday of this week (Turkey Day Eve).

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

Batch size, OG?

I have enjoyed First Gold the few times I used it. A nice hop.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

The projected OG is ~1.062 for 5.5 gallons in the primary.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

I've never played with FWH so I can't say much to that. Never used Pilgrim either. I will say that I don't think I will ever do 90 min boil again unless I am looking for color or melanoidin development in the kettle. A rare circumstance in which case I would probably go longer than 90. Anyhow, First Gold has the strength of your average UK hop IME. I think you will notice it coming through how you are using it. Not strong though. Looks like this will be primarily a malt driven beer to my eye.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

My ESB thread is lower down on the page. I have made a lot of them and typically make it in a variation very close to what is posted there. I did use Pilgrim for bittering and the keg is in the on-deck fridge and coming up soon. There are a lot of ways to make an ESB so that's just one way. Also, pretty sure there's no such thing as a 1.062 ESB. :D They seem to like their bitters and ESBs lower in gravity than that. Also, I agree with neddles on the boil. Drez is going shorter (30 mins), B2000 is going longer (90) and I usually still do a 60. Cheers.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:23 PM

My ESB thread is lower down on the page. I have made a lot of them and typically make it in a variation very close to what is posted there. I did use Pilgrim for bittering and the keg is in the on-deck fridge and coming up soon. There are a lot of ways to make an ESB so that's just one way. Also, pretty sure there's no such thing as a 1.062 ESB. :D They seem to like their bitters and ESBs lower in gravity than that. Also, I agree with neddles on the boil. Drez is going shorter (30 mins), B2000 is going longer (90) and I usually still do a 60. Cheers.

I just made a 30 min porter and a 30 min "american" ESB.  both seem great.  I see little reason to boil longer so far.  I'll let you know when I make my 30 min helles :D

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

I just made a 30 min porter and a 30 min "american" ESB. both seem great. I see little reason to boil longer so far. I'll let you know when I make my 30 min helles :D

30 all the way... Including Helles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users