Photo
- - - - -

Beer Forum BT - wine fridge for beer primary?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

I ferment my beers in Ale Pails, and I'm looking to upgrade from a swamp cooler setup to something a bit more consistent.

For those of you who use a wine fridge for primary, what brand/model do you recommend?

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

I ferment my beers in Ale Pails, and I'm looking to upgrade from a swamp cooler setup to something a bit more consistent.

For those of you who use a wine fridge for primary, what brand/model do you recommend?

Mine's a d/c'ed Haier BC112G. httpss://www.amazon.com/Haier-BC112G-30-Bottle-Cellar-Contoured/dp/B00006IUV6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The thermostat was fine for ales with a range of 45-65F but was not cold enough to crash and lager. I pulled the factory temp probe out of the back of the fridge so it always reads room temp and keeps the compressor kicked in and have an STC temp controller hooked to it. Here it is with an 8gal bucket in it.

TYaTtjh.jpg

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:44 AM

Just curious... Why not a chest freezer with a temp controller? Is it a space issue?

I've found alternative uses for the chest freezer when it is not being used as a fermentation chamber... Especially around the holidays.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:49 AM

Just curious... Why not a chest freezer with a temp controller? Is it a space issue?

I've found alternative uses for the chest freezer when it is not being used as a fermentation chamber... Especially around the holidays.

I might end up going the CF route; my main concern was space.

My beer fridges are in the basement, and the hallway to get to the basement door is a bit narrow. 

I could make a CF work. if i stay with a model that's roughly the size of what I have now. 

My current kegerator is an old Haier 7.2 cu ft chest freezer, and we got it down into the basement w/o much fuss when we moved here.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

Mine was a gift from the inlaws when I only drank wine. If I were buying something to ferment in, it would fit at least 2 fermenters. There are times when I want to brew but have one in the wine fridge crashing and don't want to move it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users