4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaboom

Kaboom

Mic dropping lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:14 AM

Picked up a used kegerator that came with two CO2 regulators.  Before hooking up anything else, I want to make sure the regulators are ok.  I hooked the first one up to the CO2 bottle, turned on the gas.  High side pressure went to about 700 and I adjusted low side to 10.  I then shut off the gas at the bottle.  Initially, I lost pressure after 48 hours.  I tightened up the connection to the bottle and reran my procedure.  Now after about a week with the gas shut off the high side dropped to 600.  That's much better, but is it acceptable?  I was going for no leak at all, but now I'm wondering if some small amount is inevitable.  

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

I just leave my tanks off and charge the keg headspace as needed. Not sure if all regulators leak a little or not.

#3 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

I wouldn't think it was inevitable, but, while I always run the test you ran, I've only let it go up to 2 days.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

to be fair I don't think the regulator on my 20lb tank leaks.  the QD in the line assembly does but I shut off the valve before the line assembly when I'm not charging kegs so it's not a big issues to lose a little bit of gas that is in the line.

#5 Kaboom

Kaboom

Mic dropping lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

I think that's going to be my strategy. Shut it off when not in use. Probably good practice anyway. Its not worth the aggravation of troubleshooting such a small leak. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users