3 replies to this topic

#1 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111773 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

This is a bread recipe for a simple white bread, similar to a French or Italian loaf.  I've developed this over time using techniques learned from books by Ruhlman and Reinhardt, and lots of experimentation.

I call it "4462 Bread" because it's based on ratios and that helps me remember the recipe/technique.

Day One:

About 24 hours before you plan to make bread, combine in a small bowl:

4 ounces bread flour

4 ounces water - room temperature

1 tsp buttermilk

1/2 tsp instant yeast

Stir this well, it'll seem like a really thick pancake batter, then cover it up and leave it on the counter for 24 hours at room temperature.

Day Two:

Preheat the oven to 425dF.  I like to preheat at the very beginning, even before my dough rises, to make sure the oven is warmed evenly.

Put the sponge/starter from Day One in your stand mixer bowl.

Add:

6 ounces bread flour

2 ounces warm water @ about 100dF

2 tsp yeast

2 tbsp white sugar

1 1/4 tsp salt

Mix together for a minute until it forms into a ball.  (I just use the dough hook attachment on my stand mixer, holding it in my hand and using it like a spoon until it's mixed together enough for the machine to take over.)

Knead for 7 minutes, dough will be a little sticky and soft, it will clear the sides of the bowl when mixing but the bottom will remain stuck.   After 7 minutes, transfer to a very well oiled bowl.

Let rise for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Punch down and turn out onto a surface, let rest about 10 minutes and then make into a baguette shape on a baking pan lined with greased parchment.

Put the dough in the oven and spray water in there to create steam then close the door real quick.   Open it up after 1 minute and spray some more water in it.  After 1 more minute, spray water again and drop the temperature to 350.

Bake about 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through baking if necessary to create even browning.

Let cool for ~30 minutes then serve with quality butter.

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111773 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

Forgot a step, which should be obvious to bread people... After forming the baguette let it rise for 20-25 minutes before putting it in the oven. :blush:

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

Would I, at 2000 ft, need to adjust this for altitude, and if so what adjustments are needed?

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111773 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

The only concession I generally make for altitude is that I use less yeast. I use a scant 2tsp, you might use 2 1/4tsp. I'm just shy of 5k feet here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users