#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

Fellas, I'm curing a nice big salmon filet with Citron Vodka and Dill and intend on lightly cold smoking it on Saturday. Anyone ever rig their kettle to cold smoke?

Often I'll use the kettle with indirect smoke which obviously cooks whatever meat I'm doing.

I'm thinking of affixing a hose/pipe away from the kettle onto a box where the salmon will sit (think dryer hose).

Thoughts? Pics?

#2 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

Tin can full of wood chips in the kettle on the side opposite from the fish, stick a NEW soldering iron in there. Limit fresh air and monitor your temps, although I doubt it gets more than a few degrees over ambient.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:54 AM

Cold smoking is generally defined as being less than 100ºF and I have also read under 90ºF as preferred. Being in south Florida you will need to be very careful with whatever method you use to not let the temperature go beyond that.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

Now that's an interesting method for sure! Yes, I'd guess temps would be pretty low if any diff than ambient.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

Cold smoking is generally defined as being less than 100ºF and I have also read under 90ºF as preferred. Being in south Florida you will need to be very careful with whatever method you use to not let the temperature go beyond that.

Sage advice. It will be an early morning endeavor and luckily, we are experiencing some nicer weather.

#6 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

And remember, you don't need very much smoke: you just want a wisp of thin blue smoke coming out of the vents. 

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

And remember, you don't need very much smoke: you just want a wisp of thin blue smoke coming out of the vents.

Yes. Considering it will be cured, I am looking for nothing more than that "whisp."

In addition to simply enjoying the salmon for the holidays, I am putting a finely minced layer of it into my Caviar pie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users