#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Got my wife a 6qt Insta Pot. It's an electric pressure cooker. So I'm thinking I could run a few batches through this for starters. I would use canning jars. So this would basically be the cold canning process since I'm not actually doing pressure canning. Store finished starters in the fridge for use up to 6ish months. What ya think? 

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

I thinks it's nice you got your wife brewery equipment for Christmas.

#3 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Let me know how this goes.  I have one and love it for cooking.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Got my wife a 6qt Insta Pot. It's an electric pressure cooker. So I'm thinking I could run a few batches through this for starters. I would use canning jars. So this would basically be the cold canning process since I'm not actually doing pressure canning. Store finished starters in the fridge for use up to 6ish months. What ya think? 

I'm not sure what you want to do.  Pressure cook wort and transfer to jars?  Water bath can?

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

I'm not sure what you want to do. Pressure cook wort and transfer to jars? Water bath can?

Yes, transfer when hot and that should seal the lids. It's called cold canning.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Not sure this is sterile.  Is it?

I have a 7 quart pressure canner (Mirro) and can a bunch of second run 1.040 wort.  What a time saver!

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Not sure this is sterile.  Is it?

I have a 7 quart pressure canner (Mirro) and can a bunch of second run 1.040 wort.  What a time saver!

There is a difference in canning techniques. The typical pressure canning that kills botulism spores is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about cold canning and storing refrigerated for a limited amount of time. The Insta Pot is a pressure cooker, I'd venture to say 1 step above the typical starter method of boiling in a pot. 

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

It seems like a lot of work for maybe 4 qts of starter.  It takes me about 20 minutes to pitching with my smaller ones.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:55 AM

It seems like a lot of work for maybe 4 qts of starter.  It takes me about 20 minutes to pitching with my smaller ones.

Its a 6qt pressure cooker and would only take a few minutes to cook the starter wort. Do that twice and I should have around 10qts done in less than an hour. Seems worth it to me. 

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Its a 6qt pressure cooker and would only take a few minutes to cook the starter wort. Do that twice and I should have around 10qts done in less than an hour. Seems worth it to me. 

If you're taking it all the way to 12-13 psi it will take a while to heat and then cool enough to open.  We have the same one - pretty slick but with what I've done with it so far I think it would take a while.  Let us know how it goes - I'd love to be wrong.

#11 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

If you're taking it all the way to 12-13 psi it will take a while to heat and then cool enough to open.  We have the same one - pretty slick but with what I've done with it so far I think it would take a while.  Let us know how it goes - I'd love to be wrong.

That's not how it worked when we cooked some lentil soup and chicken. Once all the ingredients were added it was ready in 20-25 min and that was with raw chicken. You don't have to wait for the machine to drop pressure. It tells you when your meal is cooked then you can release the pressure manually.  If cooking wort I'd venture to say times would cut in half. No chilling because you are letting the heat from the wort to seal the lid. Guess I'm missing what you are trying to say DJ. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 06 January 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

That's not how it worked when we cooked some lentil soup and chicken. Once all the ingredients were added it was ready in 20-25 min and that was with raw chicken. You don't have to wait for the machine to drop pressure. It tells you when your meal is cooked then you can release the pressure manually.  If cooking wort I'd venture to say times would cut in half. No chilling because you are letting the heat from the wort to seal the lid. Guess I'm missing what you are trying to say DJ. 

I guess my concern would be releasing pressure when the cycle is over if you have it filled high.     I did that once pressure canning wort - started boiling when I released pressure rather than letting it cool first.  And I guess you would have to heat up the mason jars before filling them.  Just seems like a lot of work.  Maybe it's not.  Let us know how it goes.  Dinner is in ours at the moment.

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

I will let you know how it works.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Yes, transfer when hot and that should seal the lids. It's called cold canning.

cold canning is not considered safe by the USDA

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

cold canning is not considered safe by the USDA

There are storage recommendations. Also, tell that to everyone of our grandmother's. 

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

There are storage recommendations. Also, tell that to everyone of our grandmother's. 

the reason botulism is almost unheard of these days, is mainley because people stopped using most of the unsafe canning methods

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

the reason botulism is almost unheard of these days, is mainley because people stopped using most of the unsafe canning methods

I know plenty of people still cold canning food. 

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

I know plenty of people still cold canning food. 

there are more than one technique that people refer to as cold canning, the one, if you aren't processing in the jar, it ain't safe

pickled high acid stuff is another matter

#19 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

there are more than one technique that people refer to as cold canning, the one, if you aren't processing in the jar, it ain't safe

pickled high acid stuff is another matter

If it's going straight in the fridge once it seals, I'd think it's safe enough. Isn't that what he said? Too lazy to scroll back.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

If it's going straight in the fridge once it seals, I'd think it's safe enough. Isn't that what he said? Too lazy to scroll back.

refrigeration isn't stopping botulism

but boiling for 15 minutes will destroy the toxin, but, that defeats the purpose of having a canned starter ou just open and use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users