#41 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

You'll never need pH 10 sol'n for brewing, since it's for calibrating the probe from pH 7-10. You'll be calibrating with 7 & 4.

Storage solution is typically a high concentration of the solution in the probe, often with a preservative added. Usually it is a saturated KCl solution.

Don't store the probe in distilled water, it will shorten the life of the probe by leaching out the salt. pH 4 buffer is acceptable for storage, in a pinch. Better than water, but not preferred.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Agree with the other, 4,7 and storage.

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

so I need the PHA-4 and the PHA-7.  I'm not seeing the storage solution (clarification: I don't see it on the website)

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 January 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

so I need the PHA-4 and the PHA-7.  I'm not seeing the storage solution.

just get it at amazon

httpss://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-Storage-Solution-Electrode/dp/B002P35Y6U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484241785&sr=8-2&keywords=ph+storage+solution

So this looks like the same meter as I have but under a different name.

https://www.newegg.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

just get it at amazon

httpss://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-Storage-Solution-Electrode/dp/B002P35Y6U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484241785&sr=8-2&keywords=ph+storage+solution

So this looks like the same meter as I have but under a different name.

https://www.newegg.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wow, that's really weird. It's the exact same meter (AFAIK) and the case and bottles of solution are exactly the same but it's about $20 cheaper. There you go... the board just saved Morty $20. :lol: Even the model number (7011) appears to be the same.

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Wow, that's really weird. It's the exact same meter (AFAIK) and the case and bottles of solution are exactly the same but it's about $20 cheaper. There you go... the board just saved Morty $20. :lol: Even the model number (7011) appears to be the same.

The odd thing is it is on Amazon too but it states it has an RS-232 output?? 

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

is it a knockoff though?  that amazon review isn't very good!

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

is it a knockoff though?  that amazon review isn't very good!

Shows up here on the General Tools website.  I know General Tools are real, they are sold at Homedepot as an example.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

I can also buy it via walmart (3rd party seller): httpss://www.walmart.com/ip/General-GENERAL-DPH7011-DIGITAL-PH-METR/41241543

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

maybe I'll take the risk on the "general" one.  so it looks like it's the exact same unit you guys have?

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

maybe I'll take the risk on the "general" one.  so it looks like it's the exact same unit you guys have?

Yeah, looks the same.  The RS-232 thing throws me but other than that the same.

32270237605_25b5382dff_c.jpg

#52 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Exactly the same down to the model number, case and bottles of solution. My only conclusion is that Omega decided to private-label the meter as a way to sell more of them. I remember when I bought mine... it was suggested by a good brewer in the German Brewers Group (Claudius Budde) and I had never heard of it before. In fact, almost no one had heard of it before. Certainly not like brewers had heard of Hanna or Milwaukee. So maybe they got creative and sold it as "GENERAL". Sure looks like the exact same meter. I don't think it's a knockoff but what if the quality has somehow taken a $20 hit? I know that sounds paranoid but I've seen products that used to be good go downhill over time. Just thinking out loud.

EDIT: I remember Claudius also telling me that the Omega was a much better product with much better technology and greater reliability at an affordable price. I would agree with that just based on how well it's worked for me. This guy is a hardcore brewer too and he doesn't feck around so I took his word as gold.

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

Exactly the same down to the model number, case and bottles of solution. My only conclusion is that Omega decided to private-label the meter as a way to sell more of them. I remember when I bought mine... it was suggested by a good brewer in the German Brewers Group (Claudius Budde) and I had never heard of it before. In fact, almost no one had heard of it before. Certainly not like brewers had heard of Hanna or Milwaukee. So maybe they got creative and sold it as "GENERAL". Sure looks like the exact same meter. I don't think it's a knockoff but what if the quality has somehow taken a $20 hit? I know that sounds paranoid but I've seen products that used to be good go downhill over time. Just thinking out loud.

I am not sure I would do it for $20 bucks.  I knew Omega well before this pH meter and use a lot of their thermocouples and connections in my brewery.

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, looks the same.  The RS-232 thing throws me but other than that the same.

yeah, there aren't any headers or anything you can get to are there?  certainly there isn't a standard db-9 connector on that thing.

I am not sure I would do it for $20 bucks.  I knew Omega well before this pH meter and use a lot of their thermocouples and connections in my brewery.

how about $30 (factoring in shipping)?

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Ah. So you're more familiar with their stuff than I am. I only have the meter but it's beer ultra-solid for me.

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

Ah. So you're more familiar with their stuff than I am. I only have the meter but it's beer ultra-solid for me.

:lol:

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

yeah, there aren't any headers or anything you can get to are there?  certainly there isn't a standard db-9 connector on that thing.

how about $30 (factoring in shipping)?

Nope.  I have had really good luck with Omega, they ship from CT so I get stuff very fast.  I may not be the best person to ask on saving money though :D

Maybe you should just give me 60 bucks for my old MW-102 :)

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

Ha!  yeah I'm not looking for any headaches.  I am tempted but I dunno...

#59 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Nope.  I have had really good luck with Omega, they ship from CT so I get stuff very fast.  I may not be the best person to ask on saving money though :D

Maybe you should just give me 60 bucks for my old MW-102 :)

Ugh. What if the old Omega meter was really only available from Omega and this imposter has inferior components or something? That would really, really suck. I'll be honest... I spent a lot of time looking at Hanna and Milwaukee meters and for every positive review there were 2-3 negative ones. My Milwaukee PH55 was a complete piece of shit and waste of money. I would hate to see this meter that looks like the Omega meter actually be something that is cheaper and not as good. I think Morty would be turned off of meters if that happened. I was very skeptical to drop the $110 on the Omega meter based on my experience with Milwaukee. Thankfully the Omega changed my mind.

#60 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

There is probably a Chinese manufacturer that sells these to Omega, who stick there name on, which fetches a higher price. Then they also sell them to someone unknown, so they are cheaper. That is rather common these days.

I buy lab stuff quite often that has a label stuck right over another that of another brand.

It is possible that Omega requires some QC that Brand X doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users